PDA

View Full Version : Meat should only be eaten once a week?

ShockBoxer
04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Hmmm...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18310903/

Um.

Amy Jamieson-Petonic, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association and an employee wellness manager for the Cleveland Clinic, says many people don't realize that the body can't store protein. If you consume more than you need, you'll just eliminate it through your urine and put an extra strain on your kidneys to metabolize it.

Wow?

TheVrolok
04-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Protein above what the body needs is 1) stored as fat 2) excreted as urea. I suppose the goal of most weight lifters is to (by working out, exercising, etc. etc.) increase their bodies' need for protein and therefore raise the levels required before 1 and 2 occur.

zen
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure which case they were arguing in that quote blurb you posted, but the fact that the body doesn't store protein is the perfect argument for why you should regularly include meat and protein in your diet.

TheVrolok
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure which case they were arguing in that quote blurb you posted, but the fact that the body doesn't store protein is the perfect argument for why you should regularly include meat and protein in your diet.

It doesn't store protein as protein (for the most part). Protein becomes a number of things during metabolism; nitrogen then right to urea -> urine, or a nitrogen source for cellular respiration/energy production (ATP), nitrogen -> Acetyl CoA which can go a lot of ways but mostly used in energy production, sugar storage, and fat storage. Protein that is unnecessary will eventually be stored as lipids in fat.

However, the nitrogen from protein can also be used to keep up tissue protein - this is the route most bodybuilders hope it gets divided toward. By working out and keeping the muscles in need of protein hopefully more nitrogen gets consumed in rebuliding muscle than urea or fat.

bigmoney
04-30-2007, 02:13 PM
whatever they say, you cant tear me away from my bloody steak!!

Cirino83
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
^^ I'm with you.

Minus the bloody part.

TheVrolok
04-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Medium-rare is where it's at.

Gunshow
04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
i like my steak best when it has a pulse.

Dman
04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
With a 150g of protein in my diet a day, this sort of makes me nervous. Is it really necessary to have all of this protein, or am I just going to plump up? I have been working the WBB workout #1 for 3 weeks with a strict diet and have seen huge results, but I am just a little unnerved about these comments

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Protein doesn't make you fat. Excess calories above your maintenance over an extended period of time makes you fat. The rate and which you increase body fat percentage is directly correlated with your diet and how fast or slow you want to put on weight. Don't worry about it.

TheVrolok
05-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Protein doesn't make you fat. Excess calories above your maintenance over an extended period of time makes you fat. The rate and which you increase body fat percentage is directly correlated with your diet and how fast or slow you want to put on weight. Don't worry about it.

^^^ That's pretty much the bottom line, take what I said up earlier in the thread if you want things a bit more specific but in the end, calories are calories. Make sure you're using up a lot and you'll be fine.