PDA

View Full Version : Aikido?

ShockBoxer
05-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Anyone practice it? Or any other martial art that requires rolling around and flexibility?

I'm getting massacred by crappy form when trying to do front and back rolls. Ended up putting all of my 163 pounds on my neck last night, which really sucked.

On the plus side my endurance is holding up better than I thought. Everyone else is dripping in sweat after doing the throws and such but moving the people around in my class is basically effortless for me.

But I have the flexibility and grace of a stone ox and I'm going to hurt myself more than I did last night without some extra-curricular assistance.

Sensei
05-01-2007, 06:40 AM
I've tried it. Fun stuff. I wish I could give you some solid advice other than practice falling and rolling (which you're probably doing a lot of anyway). There are probably tutorials on the net.

ShockBoxer
05-01-2007, 07:41 AM
The net tutorials mostly say the same thing: Just do it until it become natural. I was relieved to see 'how the hell do you roll?' as being the number one newbie question and heartened by testimonies from people saying it took them (weeks, months, even a year) to get 'right'.

My girlfriend makes it all look so easy even though she's just a beginner as well. She has a natural grace that I truly lack. It's like comparing a boulder to a willow tree.

Irish Grip
05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Shockboxer,
Make sure you are rolling from one shoulder to the opposite hip and are setting up for the roll same hand same foot. What style of Aikido are you practicing?
Fred

ShockBoxer
05-18-2007, 05:29 AM
Aikikai

I've ALMOST got the basics of rolling down. At least I'm not faceplanting any more and generally moving in a forward or backward direction in a manner that doesn't hurt.

At least from sitting or kneeling. Standing I'm still belly flopping.

Irish Grip
05-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I've studied Ki Aikido and Tomiki ryu Aikido.

If you are face planting, you might be letting your arm collapse as you start the roll. It's kind of tough to tell without watching you. Also, a big part is the "fear of falling" we have. When you get comfortable with falling/landing on the ground you will probably see a sudden leap foward in your rolling/breakfalls.

Fred

Banjalien
05-21-2007, 08:19 AM
I studied Judo

ShockBoxer
05-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Judo is pretty cool. It was my second choice (I'd probably be better at it than I am at Aikido).

Yeah, my arm does collapse when I start to roll. So far imaging it a strong circle hasn't helped much but in time it may. The 'fear of falling' thing is what's holding my girlfriend back on her rolls.

Banjalien
05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I dont know why but i never had any fear of falling...Being thrown was kinda fun ;)...of course, i was doing randori with 6th-7th dans; who i knew wouldnt hurt me.

I never was any good at back rolls myself...hang in there though you'll get better if you do it enough.

I'd recommend doing some resistance work for your neck if you don't already...your not supposed to land on your neck, but accidents do happen and a strong neck would be a good insurance policy

Anthony
05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Judo will focus on breakfalls and tumbling just as much, if not more, than aikido ... so you'd have the same trouble over there. ;) I haven't done aikido myself, but hapkido is very similar and I enjoyed it.