PDA

View Full Version : Bulking: Where to add my first 300 extra cals, and the maximum carbs in one P+C meal?

Outshine
05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm currently maintaining 160lbs eating near 3000 cals a day. I'm going to start bulking soon to a minimum of 180lbs and I'm trying to plan out where to add the calories when I add them.

From stuff I've read, it seems to be a good idea to keep carbs and fat separate (in significant amounts, at least) and stick mostly to protein and carb meals, and protein and fat meals. Fine, I can do that. This is how it looks/would look:

Meal 1: P+C (55 carbs)
Workout
Meal 2 (PWO): P+C (50 carbs)
Meal 3: P+C (58 carbs)
Meal 4: P+C (64 carbs)
Meal 5: P+F
Meal 6: P+F (with veggies)
Meal 7: P+F

Now here's my question... to start my bulk, I'm going to add 300 cals to my diet so that I am 300 over maintenance. Since I'm already getting near 1.5 grams of protein per pound, and about 30% of my total cals come from fat, I'm thinking all 300 cals I add at first should come from a carb source. What I'm wondering is, if this is correct, where should these cals be added?

My first P+C meal (pre-workout) contains about 55 carbs, the second (post-workout) contains about 50, the third contains 58, and the forth contains 64. To add 300 calories that consists mostly of carbs (for example, brown rice), I'd have to add about 60-65 carbs to my diet.

If I added them all to my forth P+C meal, I'd end up eating about 130 grams of carbs during that meal. Is that... too much? Is there a maximum number of carbs that there should be in one meal where you can say "Ok, can't add any more carbs to this meal, move on to a different P+C meal next calorie increase" ? Or does it not matter?

If it is too much, how else should it be done? Split 64 carbs up over 1 or 2 or 3 of my P+C meals? To do that with something like brown rice, I'd have to like, have 5 fork-fulls in one meal, 5 in another, and 5 in another. This is doable I guess, but it's a bit wacky.

So I'm wondering, how should this be done?
Thanks.

KingWilder
05-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't think it really matters...as long as you're meeting your minimum requirements you should be fine

and I wouldn't worry about eating too many carbs at one time...I've knocked back a large pizza and a few glasses of milk in one sitting with no problems, but if you want a more scientific answer I'm sure someone will chime in

Stumprrp
05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
with bulking, dont stress what so ever, eat alot and healthy, with cheats when ever you want just dont make them out of hand, thats all bro.

Outshine
05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Stump, I know what you're saying. Just eat more than you need and lift heavy. But, the thing with me is... I'm ok with stressing over the little things. I want this to be as perfect a bulk as possible... with maximum muscle gains and minimum fat gains. I'm one of those weird people that doesn't cheat (or even has any interest in cheating) so I'm really willing to get all of the little things as perfect as possible. I have no problem with a super clean, super strict bulk.

So, if there is a useful answer to my original question, I'm totally willing to put that answer into effect. I totally agree with what you said, but if it's possible for someone to do a better job with the minor details... they might as well, right?

KingWilder
05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
If you want maximum muscle gains and minimum fat gains...then don't go too high over maintenance cals.

It'll take longer to put on significant mass but in the end you'll be larger AND you won't have to cut

EDIT: also, if you haven't tried it yet, head over to T-Nation and look for their article on carb cycling and try and incorporate that