PDA

View Full Version : HIIT Runs

gains2385
05-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, I am cutting again. My diet is right on track, IMHO. This cycle I am adding HIIT runs three times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri), along with pushups, situps, and frog hops after the runs (about 2 sets of twenty for each).

I am wondering what a good distance is for starting out HIIT runs. I did these Monday and today, going for about 3/5 of a mile in 5 minutes (running all out for 40 secs, walking 20 secs). I am not all that athletic (was on the chess team in high school) so I am wanting to ofcourse get better. What do you guys think?

bics56
05-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Seems you are running too long and resting too little. I would sprint for 20 seconds...that should be at least 150 yards and them walk for 30-40 seconds. Repeat this 8-12 times.

gains2385
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I thought that the normal amount was 40 seconds run and then 20 seconds rest? Which would be better to burn fat?

Built
05-02-2007, 10:05 PM
It's not during the HIIT that you burn fat - HIIT mobilizes FFAs through catecholamine release. And of course, there's the afterburn from intense activity such as HIIT or lifting.

Read "How to do Cardio, if you MUST!" for a bit more detail on this.

gains2385
05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
:shoot:
It's not during the HIIT that you burn fat - HIIT mobilizes FFAs through catecholamine release. And of course, there's the afterburn from intense activity such as HIIT or lifting.

Read "How to do Cardio, if you MUST!" for a bit more detail on this.

Thanks Built.

manowar669
05-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Run the bases at your local ball diamond. I've been doing this periodically. Sprinting around the bases like you just hit one into the outfield will have you sucking wind in no time. Trot around the bases after you sprint the bases as your recovery, and when you hit home again GO! You could take a partner and "tag up" at home for his/her turn.