PDA

View Full Version : Got my first bench shirt

deeder
05-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Last night was my first time wearing a bench shirt. I bought a Metal Viking Presser (single-ply poly) shirt from a local powerlifter who owns a gym. I did a session with him in it and touched 270lbs fairly easily in it. That's about 30-35lbs better than what I estimate my raw max to be right now.

It came off my chest really easy but slowed right down about half way up. Time to add some heavy lockout training. I'm going to be training with this guy hopefully 2 times a week and the rest I'll be on my own but I'll have access to bands, boards, etc. from now on.

August is provincials. I'll have my squat suit before then and some time to practice in it. It's time to start setting some records!

Detard
05-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Good stuff deeder. 35lb increase is huge! You'll hit 315 in no time.

Guido
05-02-2007, 08:54 AM
How tight is the shirt on you? If it's tight enough, you should be able to get 100+ lbs out of it once you learn to really use it and increase your lockout strength.

vdizenzo
05-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Sounds positive. Good training partners help a lot. Have fun!

BCorn
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
could someone please explain "the shirt" to me. thanks

deeder
05-02-2007, 01:54 PM
How tight is the shirt on you? If it's tight enough, you should be able to get 100+ lbs out of it once you learn to really use it and increase your lockout strength.

Since it's my first shirt I don't know much... I tried on a 52 and 50 and the guy that I bought it from and will be training with thought I should go with the 50. It was tight enough that it left bruises on the outsides of my pecs, armpits and up my arm a bit where we torqued the sleeves. I'm sure you're right that I'll be able to get alot more out of it once I do some lockout work. I've never really done any so it's not surprising it's now a weak point...

TommyBoy
05-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Last night was my first time wearing a bench shirt. I bought a Metal Viking Presser (single-ply poly) shirt from a local powerlifter who owns a gym. I did a session with him in it and touched 270lbs fairly easily in it. That's about 30-35lbs better than what I estimate my raw max to be right now.

It came off my chest really easy but slowed right down about half way up. Time to add some heavy lockout training. I'm going to be training with this guy hopefully 2 times a week and the rest I'll be on my own but I'll have access to bands, boards, etc. from now on.

August is provincials. I'll have my squat suit before then and some time to practice in it. It's time to start setting some records!
Good stuff deeder. I was curious how this shirt was. If it's anything like the Metal squat suits, then it should be quite good.

Sidior
05-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Good stuff deeder. I was curious how this shirt was. If it's anything like the Metal squat suits, then it should be quite good.

:withstupi

It seem the metal squatters and the deadlift suits are everywhere but rarely do I see the bench shirts being used on the big boys.

Chris Rodgers
05-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Good stuff. I bet once you get more used to it, you will be able to have it tightened up or use a smaller size. Now do some damn bands and lockouts and put up 300!

Bako Lifter
05-02-2007, 04:41 PM

No way. Are you serious? If so, I can't wait to get mine. :D

deeder
05-02-2007, 09:02 PM

A lot of the local lifters use all the metal gear, bench shirts, squat and dead suits, knee wraps.... I'm confident that once I get some more training in it and work on my lockout I'll add a lot more to my lift. It came off my chest really fast but slowed right down half way up.

Good stuff. I bet once you get more used to it, you will be able to have it tightened up or use a smaller size. Now do some damn bands and lockouts and put up 300!

That's the plan. :ninja: