PDA

View Full Version : Burning Sensation in Right Quad

Sidior
05-02-2007, 03:22 PM
I wasn't even planning on posting this but I chatted with andrew (bohizzle) and he suggested it was worth asking about.

On monday night I was squatting and on a set of triples during my 2nd and 3rd rep as I went into the hole I felt an extreme burning sensation in my right quad. Almost as if someone took an iron to it, it also had a fuzzy feeling if you can understand that. No pain at the top or anytime since then. I narrowed my stance on that set so I have no idea if that contributed to it at all. Any ideas on what could have cause this?

My guesses would be a minor tear or some kind of nerve issue due to my belt digging into me but I honestly have no idea.

Also I realize this could have gone into general health but figured some of the members in this forum might know what's up.

Built
05-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Quad tear. If it's the rectus femoris, I feel your pain - literally. I've torn both of mine several times. Be careful with the rehab. These types of tears can calcify - which turns a minor setback into a major pain in the ass. Go see an ART practitioner or a physio.

Sidior
05-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Quad tear. If it's the rectus femoris, I feel your pain - literally. I've torn both of mine several times. Be careful with the rehab. These types of tears can calcify - which turns a minor setback into a major pain in the ass. Go see an ART practitioner or a physio.

Any ideas on ways I can start taking care of it now before I see a physio? Obviously I wont know 100% until I see one but it cant hurt to start recovery now if that is the case.

WillKuenzel
05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say a torn muscle unless you see swelling, bruising and still have pain.

I have an area on my right leg that slightly tingles to the touch. No pain, some "burning" when I do certain exercises but nothing painful per se. More like it's borderline asleep. When I went for my last physical at the doctor they told me that it was due to a nerve that runs underneath the muscle. The larger the muscle on certain physiques the more it can put pressure on the nerve. When this gets to a certain point it can cause changes in sensations your feel through your leg.

They said that it can get worse but generally it's just enough to be an annoyance and nothing more. Mine has aggravated me for about 6 months. It comes and goes. Right now, I don't really even feel it. 2 months ago, I would constantly feel the tingling for fuzzy sensation.

If it's just a bit of a pinched nerve, my doctor said it wasn't anything for me to worry about. Hopefully that's all it is for you. If you continue to notice anything though, go see a doctor. Period.

TommyBoy
05-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Forget physio....add more weight on the bar....or use more gear.

Sensei
05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
I injured my vastus medialis on New Year's eve squatting high which seems strange but makes perfect sense... A change in your stance or depth can shift loads subtly, but enough to overstress muscles that aren't ready for it. It could certainly be your belt too - I don't know where the pain is.

Sidior
05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. What I read makes it sound like a tear, but I have no pain at all and no bruising or swelling as homeyield mentioned. I think I will pay attention to it next time I squat and if it bothers me at all again I will go see a physio. Either way Im only squatting one more time then Im off to mexico for a week to do nothing! So that rest should help either way.

timlovesrugby
05-04-2007, 01:11 AM
I would have GUESSED that if u did tear it u would still be in pain. ive torn other muscles and it hurt alot. my mate torn his quad badly in a game and he was on crutches for a few days

WillKuenzel
05-04-2007, 07:38 AM
If you had a torn muscle, you wouldn't be able to move it. Even a partial tear in a muscle will leave a major indention in the muscle with pain every time you touched it and every time you tried to move it. If you tore it squatting you wouldn't have been able to complete the reps.

Sidior
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Ah glad to hear. I will just assume something to do with the belt causing nerve issues. Once again thanks for the help.