PDA

View Full Version : One week to increase speed

Mannequin
05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Tonight my friend and I got into a heated debate as to who is faster in a dead sprint. We finally settled on racing in a week's time. It'll be a straight 40yd or 100 yd dash (not yet decided). I really have to beat this guy. I am pretty confident I can at least keep pace but I need to win. What kind of training would you recommend to get some sort of edge? Again, I know it is a short amount of time, but any edge I can get (besides flat out cheating), I will take. Any suggestions?

rbar89
05-02-2007, 09:09 PM
just practice running the 40yd or 100m and work on your starts, thats about all you can do in a week that will make a difference.

JHarris
05-04-2007, 07:59 PM
just practice running the 40yd or 100m and work on your starts, thats about all you can do in a week that will make a difference.

I agree.. trying to make large changes to your running form now will likely negatively impact your speed for next week. However, if you dont already do so, get used to running on the balls of your feet. I can't tell you how many non-competive runners don't do this and its really important in pure sprints.

Jay

Sensei
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Don't bother w. anything except working on your start. Trying to do anything else will just make you slower with only a week to prepare.

Bupp
05-04-2007, 08:46 PM
A couple hours before the race do some power cleans to get you CNS aroused.

faithless
05-05-2007, 02:05 AM
run on the balls of your feet, and try for a good start.

Dman
05-07-2007, 08:55 AM
make sure that when you run, you pump your arms quickly - the faster you are pumping your arms the faster your legs move (but make sure you have a good stride)

iRun
05-07-2007, 10:16 AM
working on your form is the only thing you can do. but form is the most important when runnign your fastest. keep your head up and arms close. keep an erect posture. go out and practice some strides at 80% effort everyday. end with a few all out 60 meter sprints. rest 4-5 minutes in between so it is a leg workout and not lungs.