PDA

View Full Version : Gettining enough protein without breaking bank

live2lift
05-03-2007, 02:43 AM
I've heard from people and read that if you're lifting hard and trying to build muscle you need to try and intake a minimum of 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. And also while trying to put on muscle I've been trying to shave inches off the waistline. I have been doing very well with my diet the past month and have lost an inch off the waist. No sugar, very little fat, low to moderate amount of carbs and plenty of protein. Eating plenty of veggies, chicken, tuna, bread and pasta and at least 120 oz of water a day.

Having said all this I'm only getting about 100 grams of protein a day from food and have been supplementing the other 200 thru Nitrean. I'm very pleased with Nitrean but realized I'm going through almost 100$ worth of this stuff a month. Anyone know of a cheaper protein similar to nitrean or a way I can get more protein from food without compremising my waistline goal or breaking the bank on food, i.e. chicken, that isnt any cheaper than the protein shakes im taking now?

any suggestions welcome

getfit
05-03-2007, 02:47 AM
tuna,eggs,cottage cheese.

Bob
05-03-2007, 05:23 AM
milk

Clifford Gillmore
05-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Protein powder is pretty damn cheap per serve..

RedSpikeyThing
05-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Why are you eating little/no fat?
Are you tracking on fitday?

greekboy80
05-03-2007, 08:49 AM
tuna,eggs,cottage cheese.

Steak, Chicken, Ground Beef...the list goes on!

Live2Lift -

Do you have a membership to any bulk stores, i.e. Sams Club, Price Club etc.

Buy in bulk, its much cheaper. Cook it up in bulk, freeze, pull out, pop in microwave, eat, repeat...

McIrish
05-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Why are you eating little/no fat? I'm with RST here - whatever you might have heard about low-fat diets is probably bogus. Get HEALTHY fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts) in your diet post-haste. Aim for about 1g/lb of lean body mass. That should drastically cut down on your need for protein, too, which will make your budget MUCH more manageable. Olive oil fills in a looooot of calories. :)

Also, you shouldn't need 1.5g protein per POUND of bodymass, you should be aiming for 1.5g protein per pound of LEAN body mass. The rest is just gravy. That ought to take your protein consumption down to somewhere in the low 200's, if I did my math correctly.

Drink some milk, eat some tuna, have a burger and you should be there. The constant protein supplements are probably unnecessary.

malkore
05-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Protein powder is pretty damn cheap per serve..

exactly. Nitrean is about 50 cents a serving, or a $1 for a 48g double scoop.

48g of chicken breast is gonna set you back at least $1.50-$2
steak about the same
hamburger has a lot more fat if you use it.

eggs are cheap
cottage cheese is cheap

best approach is to mix and match. and keep in mind you can't "pack on the muscle" very effectively if you're trying to trim the waistline.

kique
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
tuna cans are almost always on special :) cottage cheese is da funk before and after workouts with a glass of milk :)

live2lift
05-04-2007, 02:58 AM

I'm eating fat, just very little of it. Mostly from peanut butter, milk and some red meat. I realize i diminish some of my muscle gains by doing this, its just that i want to get 4 inches off my waist and continue to put on muscle. Once i get my bf% down to where I want it I'll work more fat back in.

Also, you shouldn't need 1.5g protein per POUND of bodymass, you should be aiming for 1.5g protein per pound of LEAN body mass. The rest is just gravy. That ought to take your protein consumption down to somewhere in the low 200's, if I did my math correctly.

Never thought of it that way. Thanks. That should shave off 50-60 grams a day.

tuna cans are almost always on special :) cottage cheese is da funk before and after workouts with a glass of milk :)

Never have cared for cottage cheese but as much as I keep hearing how good it is from a protein perspective I'm gonna have to learn to choke it down. Also have heard its good to eat before bedtime cuz of the slow burning protein it has.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Gonna go to the store and buy some cottage cheese, eggs, tuna and a few more gallons of milk.

Unreal
05-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Fat doesn't make you fat. A low fat diet will not make you lose fat, a calorie restricted diet will. In fact, a low fat diet will probably cause you to lose fat slower then one with adequate fat ammounts.

greekboy80
05-04-2007, 08:34 AM
You also need to take some fish oils, there real cheap and VERY benificial!

RedSpikeyThing
05-04-2007, 09:22 AM
As for my second question, are you tracking on fitday? I would bet that you are getting more protein than you think.

live2lift
05-04-2007, 09:52 AM
No. I know I need to start keeping better track of my diet. I'm mostly guessing my protein intake since I eat so many times a day. You may be right about me getting more protein than I realize. Gonna have to sign up on the fitday thing.

live2lift
05-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow. I just signed up on fitday and it looks like I was getting about 360 grams of protein a day. I can definitely cut out 1 protein shake a day. That'll save some money.

3200 cals
360 protein
245 carbs
85 fat

RedSpikeyThing
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow. I just signed up on fitday and it looks like I was getting about 360 grams of protein a day. I can definitely cut out 1 protein shake a day. That'll save some money.

3200 cals
360 protein
245 carbs
85 fat

unless you weigh 400 lbs, you can probably cut out like 5 shakes lol
PS that is probably just enough fat. You should eat some more.

Clifford Gillmore
05-08-2007, 07:33 AM
unless you weigh 400 lbs, you can probably cut out like 5 shakes lol
PS that is probably just enough fat. You should eat some more.

Stick on another 50g of fat, and another good 150g+ of carbs on training days.

Alex.V
05-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Stick on another 50g of fat, and another good 150g+ of carbs on training days.

As a guy who's closer to the 31 age than the 21 age, I can safely say that I don't think he needs another thousand calories on days when he lifts, certainly not if he's trying to stay lean.