PDA

View Full Version : types of oats

mister manager
05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
what types of oats do you eat?
the first time i bought oats i bought some oat bran and it was expensive
the thrid time i bought oats i bought some quick rolled oats which were cheaper and had a ziplock type thing to close the bag (haha im an easy sell) but they also have worse macros

so I guess im wondering, are quick rolled oats no good?

Hawk45
05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I eat regular old Quaker Quick oats. Make sure to get the Quick oats.. only takes 30 seconds in microwave and good to go. Like $3 for giant tin of them. I've seen some people prefer steel cut oats which is I think just the heart of of the oat or something like that.. I've tried them but prep time is longer.. 30 second food is good!

mister manager
05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
yeah i just eat them raw so prep time / taste isnt an issue

Unreal
05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
I buy a 6lb box from Costco for about $4. Just basic quaker rolled oats. Takes 1:45 in the micro to make if you want to cook it. I like the texture of the non-quick oats better, and can scarifice the extra minute to cook them.

getfit
05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
quick oats of any kind.Fast and easy.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I eat regular Quaker Oats and I grind them up and put them in my shakes.

ADT
05-04-2007, 10:48 AM

I eat the "Old Fashioned" variety of Quaker Oats.

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/images/productShots/oatsOldFashioned.jpg

Directions:

Find a medium to large microwave safe bowl.
Pour 1/2 cup of oats into the bowl.
Pour 1/2 cup of water into the bowl.
Microwave on "High" for two minutes and thirty seconds.
Consume one to three bowls of oatmeal with a smile.

After eating these, I haven't reverted back to the "Quick" variety. Quick Oats taste false to me. People have been trying to get me to eat Steel Oats, but I already spend so much time dedicated to food preparation. (As far as I know, Steel Oats cannot be prepared in the microwave.)

Best,
ADT

beachmuscles
05-08-2007, 12:04 AM
I always thought Quick Oats were a no no...since they are smaller, and have a much HIGHER GI, then regular oats.

Mr. D
05-08-2007, 12:53 AM
I always thought Quick Oats were a no no...since they are smaller, and have a much HIGHER GI, then regular oats.

The GI difference is negligible when a)you grind them or b)eat it with a protein and/or fat source.

I myself dont like quick oats because of the size of them.

I personally NEVER microwave my oats anymore. Water boiling and cooking for 5 minutes is the way to go. I do remember though when I used the microwave, I always had to keep an eye out for the xploding oatmeal.

JustLost
05-08-2007, 06:15 AM

People have been trying to get me to eat Steel Oats, but I already spend so much time dedicated to food preparation. (As far as I know, Steel Oats cannot be prepared in the microwave.)

Sure they can. They just take about twice as long.

Beast
05-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I eat the "Old Fashioned" variety of Quaker Oats.
Same here. Stick a cup in a bowl, add enough water so it starts to cover the oats, then microwave it for 50 seconds. Perfect.

theJamAbides
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Consume one to three bowls of oatmeal with a smile.

I love your posts. Brightens my day every time.

ADT
05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Sure they can. They just take about twice as long.

LOL! Seriously? Have you tried this? I am a bit skeptical - what does the finished product taste like? Oh well. ***adding Steel Oats to the grocery list***

I love your posts. Brightens my day every time.

Thanks!

Best,
ADT

cordes
05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I just add a little water and a ton of cinnamon to them and eat. no heating necessary. That is a real time saver.

mister manager
05-09-2007, 05:13 AM
what is GI?

JustLost
05-09-2007, 06:18 AM
LOL! Seriously? Have you tried this? I am a bit skeptical - what does the finished product taste like? Oh well. ***adding Steel Oats to the grocery list***

That's my usual way of cooking them. Nuke 'em about 3 minutes, stir, then give them another 3 minutes and stir again. ANd the finished product tastes like... uh.. cooked steelcut oats. ;)

JustLost
05-09-2007, 06:22 AM
what is GI?

Genital Inflammation.

Unreal
05-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Glycemic Index
or Gastro Intestenial

mister manager
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
forgive my lack of knowledge but what is glycemic index and why would a high one be bad

theJamAbides
05-09-2007, 07:58 AM
forgive my lack of knowledge but what is glycemic index and why would a high one be bad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

High isn't bad, just depends on your nutritional needs.

SpecialK
05-09-2007, 10:40 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

High isn't bad, just depends on your nutritional needs.

I believe eating high GI foods on a regular basis for years is a contributing factor to type II diabetes.