PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Warmup/Mobility

KingJustin
05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Should I add/subtract anything to/from my current warm-up?

I usually start by stretching any really tight parts...
i.e. hamstrings are commonly tight, so I do standing/touch-my-toe stretches... I reach down, hold for 3 seconds while I flex my quads to slightly deepen, then go back up, shake my legs out quickly, and then repeat 4-6x total.

Then I do:

20 jumping jacks
~50m kareoka (the thing where you swivel your hips and run sideways)
10 Left-Right-Left-Right, etc. boxing from normal and south paw stances
10 Leg swings
10 Arm circles, 10 reverse arm circles
10 Sideways leg swings
10 Broomstick Twists (no broomstick)
10 Squats (where I fall into a deep stretch at the bottom and spring up)
10 Shoulder Dislocates
10 Walking Lunges
10 chest pump things
Overhead Squats with bar

..takes ~5 minutes... Then I usually start with a heavy exercise so I do a few warm-up sets with the weight.

I'm trying to improve flexibility/coordination/mobility while avoiding joint problems and getting my body warm. I currently do this warm-up before my lifting, cardio, or "metcon" workouts.

FAQ:
1. Why don't you go read xxx?
a: I'm poor.

Anthony
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Looks fine, but only you can determine if it addresses your flexibility/coordination needs or not. What's the difference between lifting, cardio, and metcon?

KingJustin
05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
As far as warm-up, I do pretty much the same thing for each of them.

For me, cardio is usually HIIT (sprints or swimming). Lifting is usually lifts > 75% 1rm and metcon is cardio with the weights/gpp stuff (i.e. the CrossFit girls).

I guess the only difference is that on top of that warm-up, I'll do a few "accelerates," "80%'s," and "90%'s" before I actually go all out and sprint.

JHarris
05-04-2007, 07:57 PM
As far as warm-up, I do pretty much the same thing for each of them.

For me, cardio is usually HIIT (sprints or swimming). Lifting is usually lifts > 75% 1rm and metcon is cardio with the weights/gpp stuff (i.e. the CrossFit girls).

I guess the only difference is that on top of that warm-up, I'll do a few "accelerates," "80%'s," and "90%'s" before I actually go all out and sprint.

Kudos on having, as Cartman would say, 'da dishaprwin' to do a serious dynamic warm up. It looks pretty complete to me, but your body should be the judge. Does everything feel loose and warm afterwards? If anything feels tight, work that area a bit more. I find I dont need nearly as much hip mobility work as I do knee mobility work when I warmup. Some people are the exact opposite.

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Jay