PDA

View Full Version : Defranco's Skinny Bastard's for MMA?

JDNY87
05-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Is this a good idea? If not can anyone point me in the right direction.

Isaac Wilkins
05-04-2007, 04:10 AM
It depends on your goals and your other training.

If you are in MMA practice like four hours a week and you're trying to get big and strong, this program is fine. If you're practicing MMA 8-12 hours a week and you just want to maintain your mass, then you might want something else.

It's a fine program, but like any program: It all depends on your situation and goals.

Give us some more info.

JDNY87
05-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Wwll, im currently at 220 down from 237 and i would still like to lose more weight, i was thinking around 200 range. But i think with the mma classes liftin for strength and power would still be my option. Let my diet do the weight lose and the lifting the strength.

Scooter
05-04-2007, 11:17 AM
It's a good idea... and yes I'm biased.

JDNY87
05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
How would u throw olympic lifts in there? If that is necessary.

tangerine dream
05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-100-training

Is there any benefit to doing Part 2 (link above) of the WS4SB program over the first one? Is it better in any sort of way. I noticed that he Part 2 has the rowing movements supersetted with upper back excercises on both Monday & Friday. Is this to help build size more quickly?

Wiggy
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
The major benefits of part 2 (IMO) are the strongman conditioning. That would have much more carryover to MMA simply b/c such movements are good for teaching the body to work as one whole unit.

If you decided to use WS4SB, definitely consider making the main exercise on your upper day a pulling movement (chins, rows, etc). There is much more pulling in MMA than there is pushing.

Wiggy

JDNY87
05-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey wiggy how can i throw some olympic lifts in there, is it even necessary?

Wiggy
05-08-2007, 06:44 AM
I love the O-lifts. (As an aside, I have an article coming out soon on MMAWeekly.com that will discuss DB/KB versions of the O-Lifts and how to generate more power with them. It should be up in the next day or two - keep your eyes peeled.)

Do you already know how to do them? If not, seek out a good coach. If there isn't one in your area, then be sure you just do the power or more athletic versions of the lifts. Study them good and look for plenty of tutorials online. They're not as hard to learn as some folks think, but there is a technical element to them.

That said...

It depends on which lift you're doing. If it's the clean & jerk or clean & push press, I'd do it as your max lift on your ME upper body day. Your assistance should be a good pulling movement, though, if you're looking for MMA benefits.

If you're doing power snatch, high-pull, etc., do it as your max lift on your ME lower day. Just be sure to have some good leg/hip assitance in there.

Unless you're talking DB/KB versions, I wouldn't do O-Lifts on the Repeitition day.

Wiggy

Clifford Gillmore
05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
They're not as hard to learn as some folks think, but there is a technical element to them.

Olympic lifts are alot more technical than the way you have seemed to have stated, I would not have and kind of fighter use an olympic lift to develop explosive power. Plyometrics and the Conjuated lifting method create some great strenght, conditioning and speed.

JDNY87
05-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah i know how to do the O lifts. I did ME upper yesterday and dont feel like im hitting everything hard enough. And when they work up to sets of 3 to 5 reps what does that mean?

JDNY87
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I was also thinking about doing the O lifts on tuesday and thursday with some core work and cardio

Wiggy
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I would not have and kind of fighter use an olympic lift to develop explosive power.

Why is that?

Sure, the O-Lifts are technical, but they're nothing to be afraid of. To a complete newbie, squats and deadlifts are fairly technical as well.

I agree with that conjugated training is very effective. But that has nothing to do with O-Lifts - O-Lifts can easily be part of a conjugated plan.

Do you mean a conjugated squat plan (heavy squats for ME with box jumps for DE/Rep work a la what DeFranco has been posting in recent weeks)? That is a great plan, too. Nobody says you have to do either/or.

JDNY87,

Working up to sets of 3-5 reps - in *this* instance - means after a warm up set or so, do sets of 3-5 reps. Add weight each set until you hit a 3-5RM (rep maximum) - or in other words, the most weight you can do for 3-5 reps.

I wouldn't add in any extra lifting days. If you want to do the O-Lifts, incorporate them into the schedule already outlined - it's a good one.

Wiggy

JDNY87
05-09-2007, 08:18 AM
how many working sets am i looking at?