PDA

View Full Version : Perfection Required?

Chubrock
05-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Any of the more knowledgable members chime in with your views.

Does your diet REALLY have to be as blemish free as most people make it out to be? I see a lot of the members on here stressing about, IMO, minute details. I know that Belial doesn't really stress with his diet, at least no where near the point that a lot of members do. I also know that personally, though I don't have a great body, I don't put too much stress on myself as far as my diet goes. I make sure to get a lot of protein, pretty high level of fats, and I keep my carb levels low, at least until the weekend. Beyond that I don't put much focus on my diet. I'm not paranoid about pre/post workout nutrition, what kind of protein I get etc etc. I eat pretty cleanly but still don't fret over going to eat with my mother on Wednesday evenings. So, to the more astute posters on this board, I ask this; is perfection really required, or do the majority of people put themselves under unwarranted stress?

seK
05-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Your diet will never be perfect but itís nice to set ideal goals.
Although I have always found that your gains usually correspond to the effort you put into your work.

Guido
05-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Unless you're aspiring for your body to look absolutely perfect, then no, your diet doesn't need to be. Also, if you do a lot of HIIT, crossfit, or other types of work to burn excess fat and help you get leaner, you can probably get away with having a not-so-perfect diet a bit more than someone who doesn't do those things. Genetics also play a factor to some extent.

Chubrock
05-04-2007, 03:56 PM
I agree with you G, but I guess I'm looking for more of a biological view. Take me for example. Anybody that knows me knows that I don't have very good genetics at all, but I'm still seeing good results even though my diet isn't spot on. I'm wondering if there some point of diminishing returns in which things make a difference to a certain point, but after that point, it turns to unwarranted worrying.

getfit
05-04-2007, 03:59 PM
i don't stress at all, i haven't cut or bulked in ages i maintain a healthy diet and it does me fine.I think I'm in good shape and feel strong and healthy (when I'm not suffering from a cold or allergies:()

sharkall2003
05-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I think way too many members stress out. You just have to eat your five or so meals a day. Make them small. Low in carbs, some fat and high in protein and you'll be just fine.

Mr. D
05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I think way too many members stress out. You just have to eat your five or so meals a day. Make them small. Low in carbs, some fat and high in protein and you'll be just fine.

It just depends on goals. If you are cutting, then I think you have to worry about the details. When bulking just get your cals in with good,nutritious sources of food.

But sometimes I do wonder if its worth it doing the fitday day in and day out.

Howard 9
05-04-2007, 07:57 PM
The only thing I really concern myself is my PWO shake. That to me is very important. There are a lot of big guys who I know don't watch their diet, so to answer your question it probably depends on genetics somewhat just like anything else. I think once you get more into lifting your diet gets more important.

Slim Schaedle
05-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Any of the more knowledgable members chime in with your views.

Does your diet REALLY have to be as blemish free as most people make it out to be?
As mentioned genetics play a large role.

Likewise, drug use does as well.

Both of these provide an environment where a considerable amount of "lack of perfection" is acceptable.

stepto180
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
if you check out john berardi's percision nutirition he promotes the 90% rule if you eat 80% of your meals clean and 10% of your meals you completly blow you will still get leaner...

LouPac
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
if you check out john berardi's percision nutirition he promotes the 90% rule if you eat 80% of your meals clean and 10% of your meals you completly blow you will still get leaner...

What happened to the other 10%?:confused:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-04-2007, 10:34 PM
That's what I was thinking.

:scratch:

stepto180
05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
well I just typed the wrong number the second time
I meant 90% clean ...thats why its called the 90% rule

warning: im on day 3 of no carbs(after 10day just 35 carbs)...I think its starting to effect my brain functioning

Built
05-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Hahahahahaha!

LouPac
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM
well I just typed the wrong number the second time
I meant 90% clean ...thats why its called the 90% rule

warning: im on day 3 of no carbs(after 10day just 35 carbs)...I think its starting to effect my brain functioning

lol

I thought so, I was just busting on you.

<-----Starting Velocity diet Monday and is dreading it.:eek:

Chubrock
05-05-2007, 07:14 AM
As mentioned genetics play a large role.

Likewise, drug use does as well.

Both of these provide an environment where a considerable amount of "lack of perfection" is acceptable.

I know you can't really compare yourself with other lifters, especially for the reasons above. With that said, I look at both Belial and myself. Both at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as several things go. My genetics are fairly ****ty, and I use no drugs at all. I still seem to "get away" with a lot of stuff now. Could this partly be due to the fact that my body has become accustomed to the periods of clean, low calorie meals, so the less clean meals have a diminished effect? Like I was saying, I didn't know if there was some biological system or occurence that could explain why the perfection isn't totally needed. I know you, Belial, Ectx, Wilma and Isaac are some of the smartest people on this board, so I didn't know if there ya'll would have any input on this whole idea.