PDA

View Full Version : Sodium conversion

mdirrane12
02-25-2002, 07:53 AM
I read in an article here that when you don't eat enough sodium, your body creates its own equivalent. What is this equivalent and where does the body get it from?

syntekz
02-25-2002, 08:16 AM
Got a link to this article? Never knew our body could create it's own salt...

mdirrane12
02-25-2002, 09:02 AM
Its on this wannabebig website. Go to the main page, then the diet and nutrition website it's in the "CARB TRICKS" article last paragraph. But it wont give you the answer.

gino
02-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Here's a PM I sent to one of our resident homos regarding sodium, and the body's natural ability to balance it in the body. The first few paragraphs are my commentary, then is the excerpt I got from god only knows where...

I am cutting right now and I eat a lot of sodium. I bloated slightly at first, but it went away within a week. I put this salty cajun spice mix on all of my chicken, salt or tabasco sauce on all of my eggs, salt and seasoning on my steak. My sodium intake is well above the "healthy" level, but I'm not bloated, my blood pressure is perfect and I feel great.

Your body should naturally balance sodium induced water retention assuming 3 things:

-Kidneys are healthy (filters and reabsorbs sodium)
-Aldosterone levels are good
-Potassium levels are high enough (sodiums INTRAcellular counterpart)

Here's an article I pulled off my hard drive that I used in a report. I forgot where I got it.

As a whole, bodybuilders who think they are serious about their diet, generally cut out all extra sodium intake. Most are under the false notion that sodium will make them fat by causing them to retain extra water, cause high blood pressure or is just overall an unhealthy mineral. None of which is true. First off, sodium does not cause hypertension. This is a disease sodium can aggravate but not manifest. Secondly, sodium will not make you fat in any way, shape, or form. Thirdly, sodium is an essential nutrient your body can’t live without. Many functions in the body are
"sodium-dependant". They require the presence of sodium. Many amino acids are transported by sodium carriers.

With these fallacies out of the way let's see how we can manipulate our sodium intake to help increase muscular size and strength.

Sodium and Muscle Growth

Sodium is the primary positively charged ion in extra-cellular fluid. Sodium regulates blood volume, acid-base balance, muscle and nerve function and ATP-hydrolyzing activity in skeletal muscle. Potassium is the primary positively charged ion in intracellular fluid. Potassium regulates intra-muscular fluid levels, muscle and nerve function and ATP-hydrolyzing activity in skeletal
muscle.

As you can see, sodium and potassium perform very similar functions with the major difference being in the intra and extra-cellular fluid regulation. Potassium has its effect on fluid inside the muscle cell. What most don’t realize is that these two minerals are constantly striving for equilibrium. When one gets out of line with the other your system will strive to adjust to the underlying situation.

When you cut your sodium intake, your body will quickly compensate by holding more sodium in and releasing potassium out there by decreasing fluid inside the muscle cell. When you increase your sodium intake your body will compensate by holding more potassium in (increasing intra-muscular fluid) and
increasing the excretion of sodium.

Sodium, potassium and the balance between the two can have a prominent impact on muscle size and anabolism (increased cellular fluid inside the muscle cell promotes an anabolic response in muscle tissue) as well as strength through increase joint leverage. Also, elevated sodium and potassium levels will tend to prevent soft tissue injuries so common in heavy training.

Getting Enough

The typical athlete that eats a disciplined diet low in fat is probably not benefiting from proper sodium intake as he should. Forget the myth of avoiding table salt. Don’t be afraid to use salt liberally. This is important. I know, over the years the media has pounded the “avoid salt” routine down your throat but you must
understand, not only this is geared towards the “average person” - if you train and eat like a bodybuilder, you are not an average person - it's opposite of what recent science has shown to be healthy.

Sodium and potassium are regulated by aldosterone. Aldosterone is produced in the adrenal cortex. Steroids have a direct influence on the adrenal cortex which also produces cortisol and other glucocorticoids. In the meantime, for a serious anabolic jolt, simply increase your sodium intake by salting your food a little
more. It doesn't take a ton of salt. Just get in the habit of salting your food at every meal. Steadily increase the amount you use over a one month period. You'll be bigger, stronger, and much less susceptible to progress halting injuries. And guess what? It costs only about 27 cents for a 3 month supply.