PDA

View Full Version : The Dad Diet: It starts tomorrow

Hazerboy
05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
After two years of unemployment my dad finally got a job as a consultant in the petroleum industry. His confidence is up, he's working and feeling good again, and ready to loose weight.

Our goal is fifty pounds in the next year or so (trust me, he's got it), and so far I've come up with a general plan I'll modify along the way. For the first week I'm going to have him record everything he eats on fitday. From here I'll look at his calorie intake, take off 500, and slowly start to clean up his diet. We'll have weigh ins once a week. I'm also going to start having him drink a lot more water. He drinks a LOT of diet coke (0 calories, so I'm going to let him have it for awhile :-p ) but there's a crapload of sodium in that and the amount he drinks just isn't healthy. So, for every diet coke he drinks, he's got to drink an equal amount of water first.

His fitness level is also pretty poor. He goes on hour walks a few times a week, but I think I'm going to start him on some light weights, then after he starts to loose some weight some easy cardio (the mans old so we gotta ease into this) and after awhile HIIT.

For weight training I'm thinking squats, deadlifts, bench, and rows. Four exercises a few times a week with high reps till he gets the form down. I'll also integrating stretching in afterwards so he can start improving his ROM. We have a cage and olympic weight set in our garage so it shouldn't be too hard to get him in there, but he doesn't have a lot of time because Of work so I'm going to try and keep sessions short at around 45 minutes or so.

Also, to top it off I'm going to get him a workout journal and take before pictures. This will help keep him motivated and on track, I think.

Hows all this sound? I'd like any tips/suggestions. The last piece of the puzzle I'm looking for would be a cook book thats weight conscious. The guy loves to cook, and he's pretty good at it, but fried catfish and heaping helpings of mashed potatoes isn't exactly the best thing for you. O__o

Oh, and one thing I'm worrying about is how to work in cheat days. I'm thinking he might need one once every week or two, at least in the beginning.

Built
05-05-2007, 06:22 PM
This is SO cool.

Okay. First thing - the diet.

Plan a few weeks for this to happen. First step is to find his calories. The next step is to leave those alone but restructure the diet so he hits his minimums for protein (gram per pound LBM) and fat (half a gram per pound LBM), and fibre (25g daily).

He will probably find he feels "too full" on this, and "has a hard time eating this much protein". From here, drop the 20% (which is probably about 500 calories) and proceed with your plan.

Take pix and measurements, then stash them somewhere until he loses 20 lbs. THEN let him see the befores - not until then. It's very un-motivating to see the fat pix all the time.

Have him try on a pair of jeans that are just a little too snug. He can try them on again in a few weeks.

Weigh every AM naked, empty and unfed. Record it on fitday so you can show him the little graph when you run a weight report.

Aim for one cheat meal a week for now.Tell him to pick the day he wants to do this.

Remember, diet does NOT have to be squeaky-clean; just calorie-controlled. I have hubby dieting down this way right now, and he budgets in about an ounce of chocolate daily. Really cuts down on the cravings and falling off the wagon when you budget in a little treat.

Good luck!

KingJustin
05-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Seems like a solid plan bro. I would get him on HIIT as soon as you can ... even if he can't really sprint, he can probably use the elliptical or something.

Built
05-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Read How to do Cardio if you must for tips on bringing up his cardio. For true HIIT, you have to be in VERY good shape. But intervals, or hill repeats, might be something to work in as he drops weight. Don't start with heavy cardio though. Focus on his diet, then weights, and finally - cardio.