PDA

View Full Version : Healthy junk food?

Eric Cartman
05-06-2007, 01:55 AM
I've done a pretty good job of finding substitutes for many foods that are usually considered unhealthy... for instance, I eat whole wheat pasta instead of the normal pasta, and I eat corn tortillas instead of flour.. turkey burgers instead of hamburgers, etc..

So can you think of good substitutions or healthy alternatives for the following foods?

Nachos
French Fries
Chicken Wings
Hot Dogs
Pizza

I'm sure there has to be a way to take the "junk" out of these foods..

EC

Mr. D
05-06-2007, 02:03 AM
I've done a pretty good job of finding substitutes for many foods that are usually considered unhealthy... for instance, I eat whole wheat pasta instead of the normal pasta, and I eat corn tortillas instead of flour.. turkey burgers instead of hamburgers, etc..

So can you think of good substitutions or healthy alternatives for the following foods?

1)Nachos
2)French Fries
3)Chicken Wings
4)Hot Dogs
5)Pizza

I'm sure there has to be a way to take the "junk" out of these foods..

EC

1)Buy Guiltless gourmett tortilla chips. Use Kraft Fat Free Chedder. Top with lettuce, cilantro, and nonfat yogurt. Good post workout meal with low fat and good carbs/protein.
2)If you have a foreman grill, cut potatoes up (if eating pwo, you can use white potatoes) in wedges and grill for about 15 minutes on high. Season with salt,pepper. Organic ketchup is acceptable.
3) Dont know
4)Dont know
5)Buy whole wheat pita breads (I use Toufayan brand thats baked fresh daily). Top with organic sauce (muir glenn,paul newmans,whole foods brand) and your choice of cottage cheese or fat free chedder or even slices of fat free swiss. Add any toppings you like. Place in mini-oven or in the baking pan of the newer foreman grills. Again good pwo meal.

RedSpikeyThing
05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
French fries: Cut up a sweet potato into french fry-sized pieces. Cover in 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Add some salt, pepper and rosemary. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Be careful because they burn, but they are worth it!

Minus the high calories, chicken wings are pretty good anyways. Just make sure thye fit into your daily intake and you're set.

bschatz88
05-06-2007, 10:47 AM
5)Buy whole wheat pita breads (I use Toufayan brand thats baked fresh daily). Top with organic sauce (muir glenn,paul newmans,whole foods brand) and your choice of cottage cheese or fat free chedder or even slices of fat free swiss. Add any toppings you like. Place in mini-oven or in the baking pan of the newer foreman grills. Again good pwo meal.

Great suggestion. I've tried something along these lines myself and it was excellent. Pizza can certainly be incorporated into your diet in a healthy manner.

Stray
05-06-2007, 12:07 PM
3. Buy the wings yourself and stick to drummettes. Skin them the best you can and bake them in the oven (or boil then grill them). Use a dry rub on them rather than a sauce.