PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read this before?

joelhall
05-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Just thought I'd share this, just to see if it creates a bit of controversy. Or if we all think this is generally how people view the sport!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20040530/ai_n12755315

Sensei
05-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Is that an excerpt? If so, I'd like to read the whole thing.

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty much how most non-PLers view PL. I love the sport, but I can certainly understand how people would think it's boring.

vdizenzo
05-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I could care less how people view the sport. I did not get in it so other people would watch me. That being said when I was on TV competing in the Bench America I got phone calls from people I had never known before who got my number from information to tell me how cool it was. People like to bash the sport-most of them are just pussies.

Stumprrp
05-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I honestly believe not because i do it but powerlifting is the most underrated sport in the world.

We bust our ass just as hard or harder then any other athlete on the planet with exception to weightlifting/track field ALL YEAR LONG, injuries, pain, blood, sweat, tears, all of it is in powerlifting.

Anyone who has been to a meet can say that the support from other lifters and fans is just AMAZING, no one is bad mouthed and even if you lose your a winner.

I really want to see powerlifting because big in the US, on ESPN and stuff.

Kyolked
05-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I really want to see powerlifting because big in the US, on ESPN and stuff.

The whole sport would have to be changed for it to be on ESPN. The way i explain PL'ing to people is "its like certain types of art, you just have to be an artist to appreciate it"

McIrish
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
The whole sport would have to be changed for it to be on ESPN. The way i explain PL'ing to people is "its like certain types of art, you just have to be an artist to appreciate it"

I dunno, I've always thought it actually already appeals quite well to the masses, so to speak. What's artistic about watching a tiny guy heave up 3x his bodyweight in a deadlift or watching a man lift the equivalent of a small Japanese automobile from the ground? It's something that people can watch and "ooh" and "aah" over merely because of its spectacle.

Sensei
05-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I forgot about this thread I started a while back, quoting Jason Burnell... http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74084

vrizzle
05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
PLing would have to unify under one body, and the gear would have to be one ply.

I actually don't know much about PLing but that's what I think would have to happen as an outsider looking in.

joelhall
05-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Iwas thinking it could be in two factions like the rugby. Have assisted and non-assisted. Problem is who to organise each, and whether different governing bodies would stop bitching about the politics of it all.