PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started and need help

Ryno
05-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I just started lifting in January and to keep myself going I've taken pictures every two months so I can see my progress. I'd like to make more progress but I'm trying to burn off some stubborn belly fat that just won't seem to go away and bulk up at the same time.

Here is the first picture before any lifting.

When I started, all I did was lift and didn't change my eating habits. I drank a lot of beer and ate a lot of chicken cause it was cheap.

Here is the picture in March after two months of working out with no diet change.

Then a friend started on his diet to get cut for the summer. He told me about it so I went real strict on this diet.

7:00 AM - Breakfast - Banana, 1 Myoplex, 3 Coastal CLA capsules (2310mg Linoleic Acid)

10:00 AM - Snack - 1 Myoplex

1:00 PM - Lunch - Chicken breast, 1/2 cup sweet potato, 1 serving broccoli

4:00 PM - Snack - 1 Myoplex

7:00 PM - Dinner - Chicken breast, spinach salad within vinagrette dressing

For the last few weeks I switched to a NSI Isomatrix powder. 4 scoops is a serving so 1 serving at breakfast. I also altered my snack times and did 2 scoops at 9:00 AM and 2 scoops at 11:00 AM. Same change for the afternoon snack. At the same time, as recommended by the guy where I bought the Isomatrix, I started eating about 1.5 servings of fat free cottage cheese with a scoop of sugar free jelly at around 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

Here is me today.

I'd like to switch to a new powder cause it gives me gas a short period of time after taking it but it also usually goes away fairly quick if I drink lots of water. I tolerate it cause I get it cheaper because I frequent the place I buy from.

So my goals are to get bigger quicker and to burn the rest of my belly fat off. Any advice would be appreciated. Do I look like I'm on track or progressing slowly? What changes, if any, would you recommend.

Also, when I started I was curling 3 sets, 8 reps of 32 lbs. I'm still stuck at that amount. What is the quickest way to get that to increase? :help:

Thanks,

Ryan

Bako Lifter
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
That's a solid improvement for just 4 months. What's your routine look like?

Ryno
05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
I work out 3 to 4 times per week. For the first two months prior to the diet change I would work out for hours on end. I do all my lifting at home so I do it slowly while I'm watching TV. I would do two muscle groups and just do every exercise I knew for that muscle. A lot of my exercises came from Men's Health. Also, I was getting on an eliptical for an hour maybe once or twice a week.

After the diet change I stopped using the eliptical. I have used it maybe 3 times in the past two months. Now I usually focus on about 4 or 5 exercises in a workout and try to do them more quickly.

I bought the muscle building stack from GNC and I haven't started taking it yet but I've been doing the exercises in it which are basically a lot more reps of the same stuff I was doing before.

I'm trying to increase my lats also. I don't have a pull up bar and am too broke for a gym membership. Are bent over rows with dumbells just as good?

Built
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
CLA's pretty much a waste of cash. Not enough fat in your diet. Dunno why you'd want to eat this way.

SDS
05-06-2007, 09:55 PM
You need to eat more I think. Eat some beef, and some fish......chicken is good, but you need the beef and fish. Start a good proven program like WBB1.

ADT
05-06-2007, 11:30 PM
I am trying to figure out your calorie consumption in my head.

So, help me out here. Is the Myoplex product some type of RTD (ready to drink) shake or a protein bar? Either way, that could get expensive quickly, but I am sure EAS appreciates it.

Eat more for breakfast. You can do a search in this forum to see what other WBB members eat in the morning.

Keep the cottage cheese at night.

Here is a good link for keeping up with your diet:
http://www.fitday.com

If you are curious about your "lats" here is a good link to research:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldWt.html#anchor1933886

You also mentioned that you wanted to increase the overall weight of your curls - you need to get stronger overall before just isolating your biceps. Post your entire routine and we help you get to your goals.

Last but not least, you said that, "I'd like to make more progress but I'm trying to burn off some stubborn belly fat that just won't seem to go away and bulk up at the same time." At this point you need to focus on burning off the belly fat OR bulking up - but not both.

Best,
ADT

Ryno
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not getting enough fat on this meal plan. Here are my numbers from Fitday. Totals 2322 42 105 373. Thats calories, fat, carbs, protein. I took the Isomatrix down to one serving for breakfast and I'll probably do half a serving before and after workouts but not on off days. I do straight casein protein at 10am and 4pm for maintenance. I'm trying to do a cut to get rid of the belly fat. So what foods would be best here?

My routine changes frequently. Next time I change it up I'll post the new routine.

Mr. D
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
42g of fat is enough?you only have 84g of lbm on your body?If thats so, you need to start eating, and eating big.

SDS
05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about the belly fat. If you're eating and lifting you'll get bigger all over and your belly will either go away in the process, or it'll blend in with the larger you.

Ryno
05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
I've reworked my meal and got my fat increased. Almonds was key to getting my fat where I needed it. I had trouble fitting the right numbers in at 2000 calories. I weigh 162 with 142 lbm. After the change I'm at 2032 calories, 70 fat, 103 carbs and 251 protein. I don't have far to go so I don't think the cut will take long.

By the way, I'm basing my 12% body fat off of my scale that measures it. Do you think those are accurate?

Unreal
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
No, those scales are very inaccurate.

ADT
05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
...I'm trying to do a cut to get rid of the belly fat. So what foods would be best here?...

...My routine changes frequently. Next time I change it up I'll post the new routine

1) As far as foods go - the type of foods a bodybuilder eats do not change - only the amounts change - based on your goals.

Here is a link to the famous "What a Bodybuilder Eats"
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565&highlight=bodybuilder+eats

2) How often are you changing your routine? I think you need to stick with one for a while so you can see if you are meeting your goals. (By the way, any chance of posting your routine?)

...By the way, I'm basing my 12% body fat off of my scale that measures it. Do you think those are accurate?

As Unreal said, you can't put too much faith in those scales. I would say you are about 15% or 16% at the most. (Even a quick analysis from a fellow bodybuilder is probably inaccurate, though.)

Best,
ADT

Ryno
05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know the names for all these but I'll try my best. I don't necessarily do all the exercises for a group on one day but I alternate through them all over time.

For chest:

Flat bench
4X8

Superset
Incline bench
4X8
with Bench dips
as many reps as possible

Superset
Incline flys
4X8
with crossover flys (just guessing at the name there) Its probably more a shoulder thing
4X8

Skullcrushers
4X8

For arms:

Curls
2X8

Hammer curls
2X8

Superset
Wrist curls
3X10
with Reverse wrist curls
3X10

Tricep extensions
3X8

Dumbell kickbacks
3X10

Shoulders:

Side Flys
3X8

Front flys
3X8

Shrugs
3X12

Shoulder press
3X8

Standing row
3X8

Legs

Calf raises
For this I grab some weight and alternate between legs with no break doing about 20 reps each time, then once I can't reach 15 reps with the same weight (normally 4 sets each leg) I switch two doing both legs at the same time with maybe 20 second breaks and do four sets that way.

Squats with dumbells
3X10

Reverse lunges
3X10

Back:

Bent of flys
3X10

Bent over rows
3X10

Romanian dead lift
3X10

Reverse situps
3X10-15

Abs

I'll throw some of these in with another workout or just do some on a day I'm not lifting.

Crunches
Planks
Side planks
Seated medicine ball twists
Medicine ball between the knees, pulled to chest and back then to one side then repeat for other side
Ball jackknife
Medicine ball chop
Medicine ball crunch

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-09-2007, 12:05 AM
That routine isn't so good. What are your goals?

Ryno
05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Well as you can see from the first picture when I started I needed work on everything. I was slacking on my legs so those have become more of a priority. Bigger chest and arms are also also a big focus. I try to do a little of everything. I don't know much about planning a routine so any insight you can give would be good.

Right now I'm doing a cut to try for a six pack and I seem to making steady progress. As soon as I get there I'm going to start eating more and try to get bigger. I'm not going to do a full on bulk cause I don't want to get my gut back over the summer.

If anyone could put together a routine they think is better, I do everything with free weights and I have a bench. I also go to an indoor rock climbing wall and do pull-ups while I'm there.