PDA

View Full Version : Self taught Olympic lifting?

timlovesrugby
05-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Was just wondering how safe olypic lifting is without proffessional training?
I cant really find any trainers in my area who i think would be able to teach
(i go to a posh gym in Leeds, UK and like noone ever oly. lifts there / cant find any independant trainers)

Ive have read and watched alot about technique and understand the concepts and stuff. I have also practices with bars and brooms ;P and although my technique looks ok to me in teh mirror (lol) im an cautios about taking the next step.. loading weight on.
Dumbell cleans and snatches have been ok with some weight but i doubt this transfers well to the full lift.

would be grateful for any advice! :D

JHarris
05-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Was just wondering how safe olypic lifting is without proffessional training?
I cant really find any trainers in my area who i think would be able to teach
(i go to a posh gym in Leeds, UK and like noone ever oly. lifts there / cant find any independant trainers)

Ive have read and watched alot about technique and understand the concepts and stuff. I have also practices with bars and brooms ;P and although my technique looks ok to me in teh mirror (lol) im an cautios about taking the next step.. loading weight on.
Dumbell cleans and snatches have been ok with some weight but i doubt this transfers well to the full lift.

would be grateful for any advice! :D

Good questions. If you progress reasonably slowly, you'll probably be safe with the motions, even without a coach. (Though a coach would obviously be preferable.) You will definitely not make as large of gains and there will likely be some form issues, but you'll still reap some of the benefits.

My advice to you is to tape yourself (especially from the side) and go over your form carefully there. Its next to impossible to critique your form with a mirror as the lift happens too quickly and you are involved in it! Also, if you post some video of your lifting, you can get critiques from others who know the lifts a bit better than you.

As for the dumbbell variations, I am very much against them, especially the clean. In the BB clean, you dont support the weight with your wrists/elbows but with your shoulders in the catch. In the barbell, you put a lot of strain on these joints. I'm also scared of shoulder health issues with the dumbbell snatch since you have a lot less control over dumbbells than you do with barbells. I'd say stick to the barbell variations.

Jay

Anthony
05-08-2007, 09:04 AM
I agree with Jay's first two paragraphs.

Strongly disagree with his third. ;)

timlovesrugby
05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks both, Very helpful advice however i dont own a camera/videomakingdevice and lack a barbell at home so when these are sorted i will post :P

Strongly disagree with his third. ;)

This is interesting. may i ask why so?

Anthony
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
In regard to the c&j, he made the assumption that the dumbbells couldn't be racked. Of course it won't look like a barbell rack, but for most people it's actually easier to rack a dumbbell because of the hand position/flexibility. Is it dangerous to clean a med ball without a proper rack? Why is load never mentioned? ;)

The db snatch has been debated quite a bit so I'm not surprised. But I've yet to see concrete reasoning why it's "bad" ... especially since one of the most paranoid strength coaches on the planet actively promotes its use. Less control? Again, wouldn't that be based on load and capability?

magicman531
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I rack db's easy enough in the clean. You can rest them pretty easily, either by tilting them backwards or a little inwards.

mattanshrager
05-21-2007, 11:28 AM
You can use either barbells or dumbbells. Personally, I like to perfect a lift in the same way it is "meant" to be done, or how it would be done in a competition-- with the barbell.

Either way you go, the most important thing you will find out is that you have to know your limits with olympic lifting, moreso than any other. Not only does the weight have to be moved, it has to be moved FAST. I would say not to push the weight past what you can do with perfect form.

It took me many months to put my first plate on the snatch.