PDA

View Full Version : how much time does it take?

Tethax
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I actually have a lot of questions on the idea of losing weight and dieting. But I'll keep it short for this post.

I'm 6'4" about 275 at 28% body fat. I've hit up many websites on daily caloric intake, and how much I might take in if I wanted to loose weight, vs. maintaining, vs. gaining.
The average calories under "extreme" weight loss is about 2000 calories. (I rounded down)

So my question is:

What is healthy weight loss in a week, or two weeks (15 days) or even a month - for a person my approximate weight/body fat?
If not weight loss, how about body fat loss?

I understand a starving isn't healthy.
How long can a person be on a starving diet, before the body recognizes "ok, this is how much we're going to get in a day, deal with it"?

I am taking multivitamins, so I'm not malnourished I would think. My protein shake has an abundance of vitamins as well.

Any input here would be appreciated.

Negi
05-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Dont weigh yourself everyday... you might just go for a ****, you loose weight that way!

Weigh yourself every sunday morning.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Starving yourself, regardless of taking multivitamins, is being malnourished. Multivitamins are not magic pills, sorry.

And it's a slow process and you need patience and dedication above all else. 4-5 pounds a month would be a healthy fat lass range, though you tend to lose more the higher your body fat percentage is.

At your height and weight, I would not recommend eating that little amount of calories. There's no point in doing anything "extreme" to your body right now. I think you should just keep lifting hard and getting your diet in order first.

Read the "Best of" Links in my sig and the Get Built articles as well.

Dont weigh yourself everyday... you might just go for a ****, you loose weight that way!

Weigh yourself every sunday morning.Yes. Weigh yourself naked once a week right after you wake up. Go the bathroom first if you must. This will be the most accurate weight.

Mr. D
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Read this article. Its a good place to start on maximum deficit. Once you decide on your caloric intake, just make sure you are getting 1g/lbm of protein and 0.5g/lbm of fat.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindandmuscle/print/printview.php?artID=35

Vapour Trails
05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Being 275lbs is already quite unhealthy. There is no reason to insist on slow fat loss.

How come I can eat 1200 cals a day at low teens bodyfat while training depletion style with extra waking or cardio and feel just fine yet someone with massive fat stores is told to "take it easy" because it's "unhealthy". What exactly is going to happen? He might look better and feel better sooner than later is all.

Deiting by definition is being malnourished.

Tethax
05-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I appreciate everyone's input.

Vapor seems to make sense; I seem to remember hearing about some special diets the military puts folks on who require special attention through boot camp. I wasn't in the military, but I've worked on an installation - and at lunch time, I've seen the guys with salad and jello.

I will read through that article. I do take everything with a harsh skeptical point of view. I realize there is no easy way and there is no magic pill, hehe. But I also realize I lack a lot of knowledge in general health and exercise. But I do know this - I have made a change in the way I live my life. I am on the path to healthy living and I have no intention of letting anything knocking me off this path. Every step is forward.

My local resources won't give me any real information unless I buy more services. I just keep smiling to them and nodding no.

So again, I appreciate everyone's info and resources to more reading. :)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Being 275lbs is already quite unhealthy. There is no reason to insist on slow fat loss.

How come I can eat 1200 cals a day at low teens bodyfat while training depletion style with extra waking or cardio and feel just fine yet someone with massive fat stores is told to "take it easy" because it's "unhealthy". What exactly is going to happen? He might look better and feel better sooner than later is all.

Deiting by definition is being malnourished.The heavier someone is, the faster they lose weight anyway. The weight loss will slow down the leaner they get. The OP's weight loss may go fast at first and that's perfectly fine. And I don't know why you're bringing up your own situation and throwing it in here as a generalized comparison. Everyone is different. I would puke eating 1,200 calories a day because my stomach would be in so much pain all day from hunger. An "extreme" loss of weight usually is not healthy for a number of reasons, but it can be done. Loose skin can also be an issue when losing weight too fast. But there are different approaches to these things. :)

And to the OP: You have the right mindset. I hope the best for you and your goals. With patience, dedication, and the right knowledge (not every piece of advice works for everyone, you must listen to your own body)...you will achieve great things. Keep at it. :thumbup: