iRun
05-08-2007, 08:19 PM
1. push ups
2. pull ups
3. sit ups
4. bench press

tomv
05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
1) Pushups yes will help this but if you can't do too many at the moment you can try putting your knees on the ground and trying to do pushups. Do these until you feel you can start to do more.

2) Pullups are hard to start off with but you can try either jumping pullups where you try and jump a little bit and really try and control your weight on the eccentric motion. Kipping pullups are a bit more difficult (personally) and I don't think I could give an adequate description through words. Look at www.crossfit.com exercise demo's section, they have a video there on kipping.

3) Sit ups... I really can't think of anything here. Just... do sit ups. They're not the most difficult move to begin with.

4) As iRun stated, just ... keep doing it. There's no real cheat here. Use the right amount of weight so that it is hard but you can still maintain perfect form. Form > Weight

WestsideWarrior
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
4. If your plateaued at a certain weight, drop the number of your reps and eat more.

jed
05-08-2007, 09:27 PM
A good thing for pullups is to have someone hold your feet up behind you while your doing them, this makes it much easier but you still work the same muscles and get stronger. I started at doing maybe 1 solo pullup 6 months ago, and had my coach hold my feet for sets of 3x10 two times a week. Now i can do 3x10 pullups by myself easy!

muscleup
05-09-2007, 08:03 AM
A short answer to your question would be to just do more pull-ups/push-ups/sti-ups to get better at them.

Another option is:
"GTG (greese the groove). Pick an exercise like the pull-up. Lets say your max number of these you can do is five. Now five days a week you do five sets of 2 or three reps of pull-ups, spread throughout the day. One set in the morning, another at lunch etc. " After doing this for a couple weeks, try to see if your max has increased. Maybe instead of 5, you can now hit 7-8! Adjust the sets you perform throughout the day and continue the cycle.