PDA

View Full Version : gaining weight? help

bradleykavin
05-09-2007, 12:33 AM
I have been on this diet for a about 2 full weeks. In the morning i have a protien shake, come home from school at 12, have a small lunch (turkey sandwhich and yogurt or grilled chicken breast with yogurt)..protien shake before the gym, one after...then dinner which is usually similar to lunch..then later on i might snack on some nuts..i am getting stronger, and i feel great and thinner..but according to the scale..im GAINING weight..i am also drinking a gallon of water every day..what is going on? I feel great, but my results arent showing up on the scale? help

Mr. D
05-09-2007, 12:36 AM
are you trying to burn fat or gain muscle?

are you a newbie to lifting?if so, you could be gainin muscle and burning fat.

Dont always go by the scale.Mirrors or calipers are better judges.

RedSpikeyThing
05-09-2007, 07:37 AM
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? How much weight did you gain?
It seems like you aren't eating very much, but without knowing this information it's hard to tell.

bradleykavin
05-09-2007, 11:47 PM
im 6'1. When i started this, i weighed rouhgly 260. i am now at 265-267..I FEEL thinner, and better. But according to the scale, im not doing so hot. I am definitely getting stronger and gaining some muscle, but im trying to burn fat..i feel as though im burning fat, but im just lost. I would think i would be losing weight...And im somewhat experienced at lifting, played football for 4 years and have been lifting for that time.

bradleykavin
05-09-2007, 11:48 PM
and im trying to do both, gain muscle, and burn fat..

Mr. D
05-10-2007, 12:05 AM
and im trying to do both, gain muscle, and burn fat..

you're going to have to pick one.

gain muscle = caloric surplus
burn fat = caloric deficit

unless you are a newb, your body doesnt like doing 2 things at once.

bradleykavin
05-10-2007, 12:12 AM
well my mom said she thinks im losing weight, so do my friends..so i guess if i weigh 300 lbs and look like i weigh 230 than i dont care lol

Built
05-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Then why did you ask for help?

Titalis
05-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Scales are evil. Like I tell my wife, you cant use a scale as a bench mark to how you are doing. If you are relatively new to working out there is a high probability that you are transitioning fat to muscle. I always base my progress off of how I feel, whether it be how I feel in general or how I feel when I look in the mirror.

McIrish
05-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Maybe you're staying at the same weight while your body composition changes? This would mean that you're simultaneously losing fat while putting on muscle. The bottom line - you look better and feel better and other people have been commenting on your successes... what were you complaining about again? :)

RedSpikeyThing
05-10-2007, 07:20 AM
well my mom said she thinks im losing weight, so do my friends..so i guess if i weigh 300 lbs and look like i weigh 230 than i dont care lol

Yep that's what happens. My g/f started lifting and lost a grand total of 5 lbs. Everyone thinks she lost a lot more than that....some of her clothes are even too big now lol