PDA

View Full Version : Hung Lo's HST Log

Hung Lo
02-25-2002, 05:26 PM
So I started my HST routine today. The only complaint I have so far is that I had to set my rep tempo sooooooo sloowwwww inorder to get any burn towards the end. My workout took about an hour and 20minutes. At the end of the workout my limbs wern't as fatigued as I would have liked but I think that will change has I increase the weight each workout.

I did the following exercises in the order they are listed

The weight listed is the weight on each side of the bar or each dumbell

Squats 55x15
Flat flies 10x15
Pulldowns 70x15
Db press 30x15
Skulls 30x15
Rows 20x15
Leg curls 30x15 <-- shity smith only has increments of 20lbs so I have to take off 100lbs in order to increase the weight each day.
Calf raises on smith 105x15
DB Military Press 20x15<--Good burn
Hammer Curls<--Good burn but not fatigued
Shrugs 65x15<--Good burn
Crunches on smith
DB Wrist Curls 5x15over
15x15 under

Should I group the exercises by bodypart to get more burn or should I separate them to let them rest?

aeckhardt
02-28-2002, 07:58 PM
Hey, get rid of the flys and do dips instead. Flys are an isolation movement. Dips will hit your chest, shoulders, and triceps.

And why did your workout take an hour and 20 min. It should be at least under an hour. You need to go a slow tempo but not that slow.

MonStar1023
03-01-2002, 04:40 AM
Hung Lo-
Hey how are you doing bro? Journal looks good. Why dont you include what you eat and what supplements you take and everything like that? Like keep it really detailed so we know what to expect etc. I dont know its up to I guess obviously. I agree with aeckhardt though to switch to dips. Your workout SHOULD be under an hour, most of mine are only 30-40 minutes bro.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Hung Lo
03-01-2002, 06:18 AM
hey guys,

aeckhardt: Dips seem to **** up my rotator cuff. I tried them when I was finding my maxes and it started acting up again. Well, it is either them or the flat bench, scine this is the only other exercise that I have a problem with my shoulder with. But I think it's the dips. Plus my chest never seemed to grow much before I started doing flies so I think I'll stick with them.

MonStar1023: Yea I will try to include more detail about my day tonight, after my workout. My workout on wedensday was exactly an hour. Todays will be proabbly shorter since I will be using a slightly higher tempo with the higher weights.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try to stay on top of this thing!

Hung Lo
03-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Lets see... I was running erands most of the day so I didn't really keep track of how much I ate but my meals were something like this;

1 cup oats <--I fixed 2cups but I was running late for school.
1cup milk

Subway Roasted chicken breast
baked potato chips<- usually don't eat these but meal1 was pretty small

Chicken fried steak with mashed potatos and olkra <--chalk that up to a cheat meal

4cups of milk

whey and sweet tarts after workout
lowfat chicken lasagna and milk

I drink plenty of water throughout the day
Ill have some tuna and cottage cheese before i go to sleep

Not the cleanest diet but...pfft I'm bulking:rolleyes:

workout....
Squats 95x15
Flat flies 15x15
Pulldowns 90x15
Db press 30x15
Skulls 40x15 the E-Z Bars go up in increments of 10 so I did 40 on wednesday and 40 today. Wish I had found my max using the EZ Bar you put plates on.

Rows 40x15
Leg curls 50x15 <-- shity smith only has increments of 20lbs so I have to take off 100lbs in order to increase the weight each day.

Calf raises on smith 105x15 I never really found my max on these. I am just doing the weight that feels like the same intensity as my other lifts.

DB Military Press 30x15<--Good burn
Bicip Curls 20<--Did these instead of hammers because Haycock says to switch your bicep exercise often.

Shrugs 75x15<--Good burn
Crunches on smith
DB Wrist Curls 10x15over
20x15 under
Two arm Hangs for 73missisippi <--I am up 13 seconds from the last time I did these. Which was last friday:thumbup: I think I will start doing one are hangs next time. I am only going to do these on fridays because it is really wierd trying to do these HST style.

I saw the funniest **** at the gym today. This basketball type dude was doing quarter-squats on the standing calf machine. I wonder if he even felt a burn in his calves?

MonStar1023
03-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Hung Lo-
Looking good bro. Hangs are an excellent way to strengthen up your grip big time.

:cool::cool:

Hung Lo
03-06-2002, 04:59 PM
I bet you guys thought I forgot about thing thing... Been studying for midterms that are comig up.

Here is what I did on Monday
3-4-02 Mon
2nd15rep week
Squats 115+bar
Military 35
Pulldown 100
DB Bench 30
T-Bar 40
Leg Curl 70
Bicep Curls25
Skulls 50
Shrugs 80
Crunches
Calf Raise 120
Wrist Curls
Overhand 20sp
Underhand 25sp

Then here is todays.

3-6-02 Wed
2nd15wk
Squats 135+bar
Military 40
Pulldown 100
DB Bench 40
T-Bar 50
Leg Curl 70
Hammers 25
Skulls 50
Shrugs 85
Crunches
Calf Raise 120sp
Wrist Curls Overhand 20
Underhand 25

Workouts are definatly getting more intense.

diet today went something like this so far
1.5cup oats
1 cup milk

1cup spaghetti
1cup milk

can of tuna and cottage cheese
1cup milk

sweetarts and whey after workout

Thats it so far. I gotta find some foods with less carbs. My carbs are always about 50% of my intake till I eat some tuna and cottage cheese.

Hung Lo
03-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Diet: nothing to talk about really. Basicly just leftover stew, milk, and water all day. And sweetarts and whey after workout. I'll have some tuna and cottage cheese beofre bed.

Yesterday I typed up a plan for all the weights I am going to do for the rest of this program. So I will just cut and paste from that what I do each workout.

Abreviations:
max=calculated max
om=over calculated or assumed max(f*cked up on figuring out how much to increase each workout and ended up going over my calculated max. The good thing is that I was able to do the reps.
@=assumed max
TP=Total weight of plates on the bar
sp=same as previous workout ( Either the gym doesnt have the weight I should be using or I f*cked up on my weight increase in last workout.)

3-8-02 Fri
2nd15repweek
Squats 155TP
Military 40max
Pulldown 100spom
DB Bench 45max
T-Bar 55om
Leg Curl 90max
Bicep Curl 25max
Skulls 60max@
Shrugs 90max
Crunches
Calf Raise 135
Flat Flies 25max
Wrist Curls overhand 20sp om
Underhand 30max

Now that I have this plan typed out my workouts should go alot smoother. The plan made today's workout went a lot faster too.

My strength defintaly seems to be up. I could have done 1-2 more reps on almost all my lifts. The only exceptions were t-bar rows and skulls. On those two lifts I had to cheat a little to finish the set.

But looking back at my log I see that the 55lbs was over my max and the skulls max was assumed. So I dunno.

Plus I stopped taking creatine about a week ago. I heard that is supposed to decrease your strength a little. But I dunno if it would be noticable yet. I am definatly less bloated now though.

I start the 10rep part of the program next week. Feeling good about it.:strong:

Hung Lo
03-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Also I saw something at the gym I thought was funny. This guy is loading up the leg press. He fills all three bars of the peg press to the tip with 45lb plates. So he has this leg press maxed out on the amount of poundage that in can hold. He paces around it for a little bit while talking on his cell phone. He gets a spotter and sits down in the leg press. The spotter helps him as he does these half-leg presses for maybe 5 reps.. He barely bent his legs. The plates probably slid no more that a 8inches.

I mean I guess it's impressive that he can even hold that much weight up with his legs but I was disapointed that I didn't get to see someone do that much weight with a normal ROM. Just another fooker trying to show off.

Hung Lo
03-12-2002, 01:15 AM
3-11-02 mon
1st10repweek
Squats 80TP
Military 20
Pulldown 70
DB Bench 25
T-Bar 25
Flat Flies 10
Leg Curl 30
Bicep Curls10
Skulls 30
Shrugs 60oes
Crunches 25
Seated Calf Raise 55
Wrist Curls overhand10
Underhand15

Workout was pretty :rolleyes: as far as intensity. Partly because I didn't remember to concnetrate on contracting the muscle during the some of the exercises. But I didn't expect it to be much more intense since it is the first day of the next 2 weeks. My strength has gone up since the first 2 weeks of hst, something that was stale for a long time, and I am looking forward to see what kind of gains I make during these 2 weeks.

Diet
oats and milk

subway roasted chicken breast

sweetarts and whey after workout

subway roasted chicken breast
milk

fish and rice
milk

Hung Lo
03-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Man this last week was rough! Had my last two midterms on thursday and friday, hence why I haven't been able to update this thing for a while. But on the bright side I fookin aced my chem exam and I think I got a B on my calculus one. Just think in 4 weeks I'll get to do this crap all over again:bash: :alcoholic

Well my diet was pretty crappy all week so I won't bother posting it. It was mostly from the on campus chickfila and smoothie king. The only time I left campus was to train, sleep, and bathe. I met some new people though so thats always a plus.

Well I guess i'll post both wednesday and friday's training schedule to keep things in order.

3-13-02 wed
1st10wk
Squats 100TP
Military 25
Pulldown 80
DB Bench 30
T-Bar 30
Flat Flies 10
Leg Curl 30
Hammers 20min
Skulls 30minSP
Shrugs 70
Crunches
Seated Calf Raise 60
Wrist Curls ov10minsp
Un20

Was better than monday's. I really focused on flexing the muscles while performing the exercises. REALLY made a big difference in intensity! Especially on the curls and wrist curls.

3-15-02 Fri
1st10wk
Squats 120TP
Military 30
Pulldown 90
DB Bench 35
T-Bar 40
Flat Flies 15
Leg Curl 50
Bicep Curl 20
Skulls 40
Shrugs 80
Crunches
Seated Calf Raise 70
Wrist Curls ov10minsp
Un25

Good workout. Starting to get more fatigued now. Sometimes I will be doing a exercise with real slow tempo and I will have to speed up the tempo, about 3/4 of the way through the set, inorder to be able to complete the 10 reps. Still flexing the muscles during movements. I can't beleive how much of a difference this makes, I wish I had been doing it when i first started training.

Hung Lo
03-18-2002, 08:38 PM
Holy crap I was tired today. I dunno what was up with that. Made todays workout a lot more intense though. I was so exhausted I wanted to get in and out as fast as possible, so my rest times were pretty short. Diet is sucking lately, haven't been keeping track of anything but still eating semi-clean. Just not enough calories I think.

3-18-02 mon
2nd10wk
Squats 140TP
Military 35
Pulldown 100
DB Bench 40
T-Bar 50
Flat Flies 20
Leg Curl 70
Hammers 25
Skulls 50
Shrugs 90
Crunches
Seated Calf Raise 80
Wrist Curls ov10
Un30

Good workout overall

I dunno if anyone saw boston public today but I thought it was funny how they described creatine ( that they found in an athletes locker) as a steroid. Sounds like something my dad would say to me. Then they had an asembly to talk about how the kids were using drugs but were mostly talking about dietary supplements and things you could find at a place like GNC.

I know some people go overboard on supplements and some people abuse them. It just seemed like they were making a big deal about something that wasn't really that big of an issue. At least at their school.

Hung Lo
03-20-2002, 06:37 PM
I gotta start getting off my lazy ass and start logging what I eat everyday. I used to be good about that stuff but lately...especially since school started...well you get the idea.

Great workout today! Quick and intense. I think the routine took me about 30 minutes. I can't wait till friday when I do my maxes for the 10's. This routine is going by fast. I can't believe it's been almost a month already.

3-20-02 wed
2nd10wk
Squats 160TP
Military 40
Pulldown 110
DB Bench 45
T-Bar 60
Flat Flies 25
Leg Curl 90
Bicep Curl 25
Skulls 60
Shrugs 100
Crunches
Seated Calf Raise 90
Wrist Curls ov15
Un35

I'm wondering, since my strength is going up, if I should raise my calculated maxes so I will be closer to failure on my max days. I think Bryan said you could do it but I'm not sure.