PDA

View Full Version : floor press help

Lones Green
05-09-2007, 11:12 PM
so tonight was ME bench night, and i chose to do floor presses for the first time. i did these in the power rack, because its the only way i've seen them done. i am condemned with long arms, and my elbows kept hitting the bottom of the rack. unless i do really close grip or a JM type press, this seems to happen. the only other logical way i can think of to do these is to use 2 step stools to put the weight on, and just move the weight off of that, then rack it back on the step-up stools. this dosen't seem very safe. maybe there is another way that im just completely not seeing. it sucks being the only powerlifter in this town. any help is appreciated guys, thanks.

TommyBoy
05-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah I had a similar problem due to my long arms as well. I just did a super narrow grip, which actually really helped my bench progress. Give it a shot, if you don't like it, then do the step stool idea (or use 2 benches).

Lones Green
05-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah I had a similar problem due to my long arms as well. I just did a super narrow grip, which actually really helped my bench progress. Give it a shot, if you don't like it, then do the step stool idea (or use 2 benches).

yeah, sounds like i should give the narrow grip a shot. thanks for the help.

TommyBoy
05-10-2007, 12:43 AM
No sweat bro.

manowar669
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
What's a floor press?

Lones Green
05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
What's a floor press?

basically just a regular BP, but on the floor, you go down until your tri's are relaxed on the floor, then go to lockout.

Sleepy Guy
05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
There is a way we do them with out a rack but it is kind of hard to explain how to lift the weight. Roll it over your toes up onto the stomach then arch your back like a really bad bench press with the ass off the floor and pop the weight up. The other way is to use momentum and roll the bar over the face and plant the elbows in the ground. It pops up but I took the skin off my elbows too many times to go this route.

One of the competitions requires floor press with out the use of a rack or any aides.

ddurkee
05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
why can't you setup the j-hooks on the outside of the rack and do your presses there? check vdizenzo doing them like that in the '4/20 videos' thread.

Lones Green
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
There is a way we do them with out a rack but it is kind of hard to explain how to lift the weight. Roll it over your toes up onto the stomach then arch your back like a really bad bench press with the ass off the floor and pop the weight up. The other way is to use momentum and roll the bar over the face and plant the elbows in the ground. It pops up but I took the skin off my elbows too many times to go this route.

One of the competitions requires floor press with out the use of a rack or any aides.

this sounds dangerous. not too sure if i understand what you're saying.

vdizenzo
05-10-2007, 04:40 PM
why can't you setup the j-hooks on the outside of the rack and do your presses there? check vdizenzo doing them like that in the '4/20 videos' thread.

Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJrWunszps

Lones Green
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJrWunszps

this would be perfect, if the power rack at my gym had slots for the j-hooks on the outside. i work out in a globo gym type place, im serious, straight out of dodgeball, and they aren't too great in catering to my powerlifting needs. granted they do have bands, a pool, basketball court, a load of other cool stuff that i dont use, AND are open 24 hours.

TommyBoy
05-10-2007, 07:35 PM

I'm sorry, but I have no clue what you mean.

WestsideWarrior
05-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry, but I have no clue what you mean.

TommyBoy, yeah, but I got it after reading it a few times..

Technique 1
1. Weight at feet
2. Point feet outward
3. Roll bar to stomach
4. Arch back so the bar rolls to chest
5. Pop weight up

Technique 2
1. Weight above head
2. Roll bar to chest
3. Pop weight up

Lones Green
05-10-2007, 07:45 PM
TommyBoy, yeah, but I got it after reading it a few times..

Technique 1
1. Weight at feet
2. Point feet outward
3. Roll bar to stomach
4. Arch back so the bar rolls to chest
5. Pop weight up

Technique 2
1. Weight above head
2. Roll bar to chest
3. Pop weight up

i dont know about "popping weight up" when im doing like 275?

WestsideWarrior
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Lones, thats what I was thinking, ask Sleepy Guy.

ddurkee
05-10-2007, 07:57 PM
two more options, sans j-hooks:
1) have someone dl the bar as a handoff
2) 'rack' the bar on a flat bench

TommyBoy
05-10-2007, 08:06 PM
3. Roll bar to stomach
2. Roll bar to chest
Um....I have a thing called a stomach, which will not allow me to pop the bar up.

i dont know about "popping weight up" when im doing like 275?
No kidding.

Lones Green
05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Um....I have a thing called a stomach, which will not allow me to pop the bar up.

you and me both, haha. i've seen videos of guys doing what you guys are saying about "popping it up" but its way too hard/dangerous when you start getting heavy.

WestsideWarrior
05-10-2007, 08:12 PM
TB - Yeah, lol That technique dont seem very safe, it's pretty obvious to use a rack.

lones - It does seem dangerous "popping" the weight up, then it comes back down, crushing your throat.

To you Sleepy Guy, use a rack.

Chris Rodgers
05-10-2007, 09:25 PM
When I had no other choice, I did the ghetto setup by using boards/mats to rest the weight on and doing them off of that. Of course, I had a handoff guy.

My question is, how narrow is this rack? I have kind of long arms for my height. I grip the bar with a pinky on rings grip for floor press(narrower than my normal bench grip). I tuck my elbows on the way down. Maybe you are going elbows way out? It just seems like you would need to be like 7 foot 6 or something to have arms that long or your rack is tiny.

TommyBoy
05-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Chris, we're not all midgets like you.

Chris Rodgers
05-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Chris, we're not all midgets like you.

**** off!! :swear:

Some of us actually have our elbows touch the ground on those as they were intended. We don't have bellies that resemble the final stages of pregnancy.

:hide:

Lones Green
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM

Some of us actually have our elbows touch the ground on those as they were intended. We don't have bellies that resemble the final stages of pregnancy.

hahaha :disagree: i'm pretty sure its a regular power cage. i just have abnormally long arms, using a pretty close grip i am good to go.

TommyBoy
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM

That's just plain mean Chris.

vdizenzo
05-11-2007, 05:18 AM

Hey, my elbows don't touch! I am actually going to use a cambered bar next time. I'm curious how that will work out.

Sleepy Guy
05-11-2007, 02:26 PM
this sounds dangerous. not too sure if i understand what you're saying.

Like I said hard to explain. Best way is to show a guy how to do it. There is a bit of a risk if you are going heavy one rep max but if you are doing a few reps it's no biggie.

Guido
05-11-2007, 02:36 PM

One of the competitions requires floor press with out the use of a rack or any aides.I get what you're saying. That's basically what they used to do in the old days before there were such things as "benches" with racks attached to them. They called it the "belly press" or "belly toss" or "supine press".

FWIW, I would just set the pins really low (depending on how low they go on your power rack) and as long as you can get the pins to just below the bottom part of the ROM you should be good. Otherwise just have someone strong hand you the bar while your lying down. Personally, I always just use DB's on floor presses and have someone hand them to me.

Chris Rodgers
05-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey, my elbows don't touch! I am actually going to use a cambered bar next time. I'm curious how that will work out.

Haha, yea CT's arms don't touch the ground either. Back when we used to train @ Iron Island he used to go heavy on those, but not anymore since he has has shoulder issues.

The cambered bar would be interesting.

Darracq
05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
are you tucking your elbows, unless you rack is real narrow i dont see how you are hitting it.

RhodeHouse
05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Seems like a lot of work just to do floor presses. I wouldn't bother with them. Find something easier to set up.