PDA

View Full Version : Critique my diet please

Coqui
05-11-2007, 08:13 AM
This is designed for cutting.

5'11" 202 pounds. LBM ~180 pounds. 29 years old.

Cardio - Nothing during cardio
08:30 am Post Cardio - Kashi Go Lean + Skim milk
10:30 am Breakfast - 1/2 cup oats + 4 eggs
11:30 am Weight Training - Gatorade
12:30 pm Lunch - 10" Turkey (or chicken or tuna) sub grilled (whole grain, lettuce, tomato, provolone)
02:30 pm 2nd Lunch - Almonds, Fruit (apple or banana)
04:30 pm final work meal - Fruit (apple or banana) or Yogurt
06:30 pm Whole grain pasta (pasta, lean beef, sprinkled parmesan) + skim milk

For lunch, I do still need to get something I really enjoy which is why I do that (before you mention that)

Please tell me why you think changes should be made as well (so I can learn)

I'm attempting to do this without supplements or powdered drinks for now (except for a multivitamin)

Mr. D
05-11-2007, 01:30 PM
what are your total macros for the day and total caloric intake?Are you getting at least 180g of protein and 90g of fat?

So you are 11%bf?What are your goals?

6:30 pm is your final meal?You going to bed at 7 or 8 pm?You are going almost 18 hours until your next meal at 830 am.

Coqui
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
what are your total macros for the day and total caloric intake?Are you getting at least 180g of protein and 90g of fat?

So you are 11%bf?What are your goals?

6:30 pm is your final meal?You going to bed at 7 or 8 pm?You are going almost 18 hours until your next meal at 830 am.

6-7% Body fat (basically a 6-pack) I'm getting enough protein, but maybe not that much fat. I know I have th eoption to add Olive Oil into this if needed.

This is a pre-emptive diet critique, I haven't started this yet. I just can't stant the taste of cottage cheese so I don't know what I would take (remember, I'm attempting to stay away from whey/casein shakes. Purely a cost standpoint)

Unreal
05-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Post the macros. I wouldn't do cardio empty stomach if at all for the first 2/3 of a cut. Add it when you stall and can't drop cals anymore. Pasta and fruit can lead to a lot of calories. Just roughing your protein from what you posted it looks very low. Maybe 100-110g, but without serving sizes there is no way to tell.

Coqui
05-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Protein - 162
Carbs - 260
Fats - 69

seK
05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Protein - 162
Carbs - 260
Fats - 69
Fats are low
Carbs are high
Protein is also low

Offset your cardio with increased cal's.

Mr. D
05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
increase fats and protein, decrease carbs.

When on a caloric deficit, the need for protein and fat is even greater.

Build your diet around protein and fat intake, fill the rest in with carbs,protein,fat as you like.

your macros add up to 2300 cals. With your lbm and overall leanness, I would eat around 2400 cals with maybe a breakdown like this:

200g protein
100g fat
175g carbs(in the morning,pre and post workout).

You should also aim for 25g of fiber, so add more veggies.

Is the gatorade you consume during training, powder form or store bought liquid?

Since you are averse to cottage cheese and powders, some protein sources:eggs,tuna,fish(also get good fats).

Fish oil would be a good addition to your diet too. Other great fat sources are natural peanut butter, avocados,coconut oil (MCTs).

Coqui
05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
increase fats and protein, decrease carbs.

When on a caloric deficit, the need for protein and fat is even greater.

Build your diet around protein and fat intake, fill the rest in with carbs,protein,fat as you like.

your macros add up to 2300 cals. With your lbm and overall leanness, I would eat around 2400 cals with maybe a breakdown like this:

200g protein
100g fat
175g carbs(in the morning,pre and post workout).

You should also aim for 25g of fiber, so add more veggies.

Is the gatorade you consume during training, powder form or store bought liquid?

Since you are averse to cottage cheese and powders, some protein sources:eggs,tuna,fish(also get good fats).

Fish oil would be a good addition to your diet too. Other great fat sources are natural peanut butter, avocados,coconut oil (MCTs).

I know I'm getting enough fiber with what I'm eating. The gatorade is during training and store bought liquid. Since you say I should decrease carbs, Gatorade is the easiest to remove. Is that wise? What would you receommend for evening protein consumption?

I can easily add PB and avocados to the diet. Where would you recommend me adding it to the diet?

seK
05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
What are you shooting for when it comes to cal's for a day?
I would take out the Sugar drink and probably the pasta, add in a nice high protein meal something like a nice chicken salad with lots of veggies and some olive oil.

Mr. D
05-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Is your aversion to cottage cheese from eating it plain? Have you tried mixing it with stuff? Cottage cheese, avocados, salsa is a favorite meal of mine. Cottage, Peanut Butter, Yogurt and berries is another.

This is also a great bedtime snack, which it seems like you need.

Are you sure about your fiber because you are tracking on fitday.com?If so, then you know you are getting the 25g of fiber a day.

Coqui
05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Is your aversion to cottage cheese from eating it plain? Have you tried mixing it with stuff? Cottage cheese, avocados, salsa is a favorite meal of mine. Cottage, Peanut Butter, Yogurt and berries is another.

This is also a great bedtime snack, which it seems like you need.

Are you sure about your fiber because you are tracking on fitday.com?If so, then you know you are getting the 25g of fiber a day.

I haven't tried mixing it with anything but fruit before.

I know about the fiber because of a different website. I don't use fitday, but I've used another one.

Coqui
05-11-2007, 05:57 PM
What are you shooting for when it comes to cal's for a day?
I would take out the Sugar drink and probably the pasta, add in a nice high protein meal something like a nice chicken salad with lots of veggies and some olive oil.

I don't have a specific goal calorie wise. Just enough to burn fat I guess. I've been told my maintenance calories were 2750 (taken from a website)

LouPac
05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Boriqua represent!

Hey man, I'm with you on the cottage cheese, I'm not crazy about it at all. The only time I can down it is with pineapple or cherries, but I still have to scarf it down to eat it. For my fat I try to get it from lean meat, peanut butter, fish oils, and nuts. I like the idea for avocados though, I love them!

Coqui
05-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Ok here's an updated modification:

Cardio - Nothing during cardio
08:30 am Post Cardio - Kashi Go Lean + Skim milk
10:30 am Breakfast - 1/2 cup oats + 4 eggs + Olive Oil
11:30 am Weight Training
12:30 pm Lunch - 10" Turkey (or chicken or tuna) sub grilled (whole grain, lettuce, tomato, provolone) + Olive Oil
02:30 pm 2nd Lunch - Almonds, Fruit (apple or banana)
04:30 pm final work meal - 2 Tbsp of Peanut Butter
06:30 pm Whole grain pasta (pasta, lean beef, sprinkled parmesan) + skim milk
08:30 pm 2 Tbsp of Peanut Butter + skim milk

Protein - 186
Carbs - 200
Fat - 105

Still a little high in carbs but I did bring it down. I can't really change dinner as that's whatever my wife makes. Seeing as we've spawned, she has full say as to what to eat because she's pregnant.

I can easily cut out about 20 carbs by removing the fruit at 2:30. Should I do that or leave it in?

lankyguy
05-16-2007, 12:56 AM
frankly i do not have any idea. ask teh person who gave you this idea.

Coqui
05-16-2007, 06:42 AM
frankly i do not have any idea. ask teh person who gave you this idea.

que?

greekboy80
05-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Post the macros. I wouldn't do cardio empty stomach if at all for the first 2/3 of a cut.

You should do cardio on an empty stomach ONLY if its low intensity, i.e. walking. Anything else and your at risk of losing muscle. If you want to jog, HIIT or anything like that do it in the afternoon after a meal that had carbs. Or, if your gonna do it in the morning, eat some carbs 30 minutes before you start...

time2grown06
05-16-2007, 08:26 AM
In regards to the gatorade, I would keep it, but get powder gatorade instead of the all-ready made bottles, which has bad sugars in it. The powder gatorade will give you dextrose, which will create an insulin spike and help shuttle nutrients into the bloodstream faster, which is good especially during and after a workout. If you have a sams club in your area you can buy the powder gatorade in bulk for cheap. Plus, I love the taste of powder gatorade.

my 2 cents