projectaero
05-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey guys.
I am 5'10
176 pounds
24.6%bf
LBM 135 pounds.

I am unsure on what i should do.
I was thinking i should cut to around 12-14%bf even tho i have no muscle and then clean bulk from there up.
Just because i am pretty high in % now that if i clean bulk that its gonna take me up to high 20's even tho i have added some mass.

I havent been lifting long on and off about 9 months.
Lifts arent that heavy pretty low actually due to having no muscle.

What do you think ?

Cheers

Keith
05-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Comes down to what you want more. Most people would suggest doing somewhat of a clean bulk. Do you want to be lean as of now? Or are you more concerned with putting on muscle?

projectaero
05-11-2007, 10:20 AM
well i think i need to be at a healthy stage to clean bulk so i was thinking 14% or so ?

Keith
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
My personal opinion is continue on with a clean bulk for the next while. But like I said dude, what do you want more??

Powdered_Power
05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I would continue a clean bulk too friend, nice and slow.

Put some real musclemass on that frame before considering a cut.

sharkall2003
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
clean bulk? Are you serious? Right now he's not at a healthy bodfat. He needs to lose some weight and get CONDITIONED.

Powdered_Power
05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
clean bulk? Are you serious? Right now he's not at a healthy bodfat. He needs to lose some weight and get CONDITIONED.

How much % do you really think hes going to add if he bulks clean? I dont think he has the type of physique that would put on alot of fat quickly and easily, the OP has probably got to this point over the course of a few years.

Keith
05-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Clean bulk, yes I am serious. But like I said, that's my opinion. I wouldn't want to lose fat and be that small. Like I said to the OP, it depends on what YOU want more.

Bupp
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I think the OP is at a point where he can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Just focus on being consistent in the gym and with your diet and your body will take care of the rest.

Tofer
05-11-2007, 11:06 PM
If you're just starting to lift consistently, then you're essentially a beginner. Just lift heavy with a good routine, and eat good foods. Don't worry about "bulking" or "cutting". If you just focus on the basics you'll probably experience a little body recomp anyways.

Gabrielle
05-12-2007, 02:16 AM
First of all, now way are you anywhere over 20% bf judging from these pics. Maybe 17% I would guess.

Shark
05-12-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with Gabrielle, you aren't even close to 24%. Realistically you're sitting at 17-18% bf and my suggestion would be to eat at maintenance and lift hard. You can easily lose some of that BF and put on lean mass at the same time.

sharkall2003
05-12-2007, 03:24 PM
How much % do you really think hes going to add if he bulks clean? I dont think he has the type of physique that would put on alot of fat quickly and easily, the OP has probably got to this point over the course of a few years.

Do you know what a bulk is? There is not perfect bulk, so he'll still add all that adipose tissue. Which is absolutely useless/non-functional unless he wants to be a powerlifter.

KingJustin
05-12-2007, 04:00 PM
My vote is to bulk to 200 lbs. 1-2lbs per week.

We've had this discussion, and a lot of the veterans agreed that you should not be cutting if you are under 200 lbs. The issue is that you're not going to look cut until you get to like 120 lbs, and then you'll just look anorexic as all hell. Bulk up, get some muscle, and then cut.

And I agree that if he eats smart, he can add 1-2lbs/week without putting on fat. I went from ~140 to 185 in about 8 months without putting on any fat % wise

Con
05-12-2007, 04:10 PM
What about the fact that at higher body fat %'s, you are prone to more fat gain? Woudlnt that still matter even if you are a begginer?

sharkall2003
05-12-2007, 04:14 PM
What about him having excess calories as him bodyfat already clearly shows he's having excess at this moment. To me, he's in a bulk right now. He's definitely not lean, and he's not big. A lot of work needs to be done and that should be done through a 100-200 calorie drop with a high protein diet and a good three or four day routine.

I started a 212 over 20 percent. It's much much easier to lose the weight, get everything figured out in your diet and then bulk.

Nosaj
05-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Clean bulk, slightly over maintenance. You'll make a lot of newb gains, putting LBM on quickly and enjoy the energy and ego boost of strength gains of bulking. You're only about 17-18% bf in my opinion, and you could easily put on 20 pounds of muscle without reaching 20%. Once you get a solid LBM base, hit up a nice controlled cut and drop your bodyfat down to low double digits (10-12%). You will have successfully added quite a bit of muscle (newb gains + a slight bulk) and then be able to enjoy a six pack and a decent frame upon which to decide what direction you want to go as far as performance/asthetics go.

Natetaco
05-13-2007, 07:50 AM
with that tat you got, muscle should pretty much be necessary right?

yeah lift heavy and eat your veggies

Mike G
05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree with Gabrielle, you aren't even close to 24%. Realistically you're sitting at 17-18% bf and my suggestion would be to eat at maintenance and lift hard. You can easily lose some of that BF and put on lean mass at the same time.

:withstupi

If you go on a cut, you'll look sick. Sick as in about to die, not good sick.

Con
05-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Is a begginer determined by how far they are away from genetic potential(dunno if i even spelled that correctly) or how long they have been lifting weights?

For example, if someone screwed around for two years while lifting weights, but made minimal progress, would they still reap newbie gains?

method115
05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I would go with a bulk as well, then again I have a gf so I'm not worried about how fat I get during my bulks or how I look. It's really up to you at this point man you've heard what most want you to do.

SkeetSkeet18
05-13-2007, 11:50 PM
5'10, 176 LBS

That's unhealthy right there....im 6'3 and I sit at 186 normally...but just recently went over 200

Jordanbcool
05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Weight is no indication of health at all.

I weigh 200 pounds right now at 5'8. According to the BMI scale I'm overweight-obese. Yet my bodyfat is about 14%. BMI should not be used for any kind of physically active person. Besides, the OP doesn't look fat at all. He looks like a normal bodyfat to me.

OP. I would either clean bulk or cut based on your personal preference. I hate being small so I would rather clean bulk if I were you but if you want to be leaner that wouldn't be a bad decision either. You are in a perfect position to go either way. Good luck.

McIrish
05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Yet my bodyfat is about 14%.

Listen, I don't want to bag on you, J, but unless you've lost a considerable amount in the past two-three months, judging by your last set of pictures you aren't 14%.

Invain
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Listen, I don't want to bag on you, J, but unless you've lost a considerable amount in the past two-three months, judging by your last set of pictures you aren't 14%.

To be honest, I was thinking the same thing; I just didn't have the balls to say it.

SpecialK
05-15-2007, 11:52 AM

Agreed. I remember when I ran my first massive cut, I thought I was starting at about 14% bf or so. Then as the lbs. kept coming off, I realized I wasn't nearly as lean as I thought I was going into it.

Con
05-15-2007, 12:26 PM
If I may jump in Jordans defense, if his last pics are from two or three months ago(im guessing since of MCirish's post) its very possible he lost some significant body fat. Noy only that but I believe hes been doing a PSMF.

Anyway, im still interested in the previous question. Does being defined as a begginer depend on length actually training or how far you are from your genetic ability?

sharkall2003
05-15-2007, 02:13 PM
If I may jump in Jordans defense, if his last pics are from two or three months ago(im guessing since of MCirish's post) its very possible he lost some significant body fat. Noy only that but I believe hes been doing a PSMF.

Anyway, im still interested in the previous question. Does being defined as a begginer depend on length actually training or how far you are from your genetic ability?

How much information you have retained and how you use it. You're still a beginner to me if you do dumbass **** in the gym. You're still a beginner if you're both weak and don't look halfway decent. It's all relative. There are people that know much more than I do, but aren't as strong. There are people that don't know as much and are just very strong. Too many factors.

McIrish
05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't think Con meant "beginner" as in "how much information do you know," I think he was rather asking how your body will respond to a more solid lifting regimen.

In answer, I think your body will reap enormous benefits the second you get on to a good lifting regimen, regardless of how many months you've spent sporadically hitting the curl rack and leg press 1-2x/week. Noob gains ftw.

Jordanbcool
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM

I know. I haven't posted any pictures in 2 months (check the dates on my last pic post) and since then I've run a couple PSMF cycles. Stop by my journal if you'd like. I've been really lazy with updates so my journal is dying a slow death lol. :hide:

I haven't been posting pictures on purpose. I want the improvement to be noticeable the next time I post them.

P.S. I actually did post a picture a few days ago but it was a picture from last summer's cut. I wanted to give anyone a general idea of my bodyfat and since I look like last summer (in the stomach) I decided to post it. But if you look at my post I'm about 12-14lbs heavier this time around.

Jordanbcool
05-15-2007, 03:37 PM
In answer, I think your body will reap enormous benefits the second you get on to a good lifting regimen, regardless of how many months you've spent sporadically hitting the curl rack and leg press 1-2x/week. Noob gains ftw.

I agree. Until you start actually lifting hard your body isn't going to respond.

Con
05-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Well not to take away from the guys thread, but I believe I am still a begginer easily.

I however lift heavy, consistently. The only factor is my diet sometimes. I am learning to cope with that.

@Mcirish, since Ive never soley curled in the squat rack or anything(i have a pretty decent history of training sensible), do you think simple is still the best way to go? For example bulking when you are at the higher bf%?

@Shark, thats interesting. I believe I retain a fair amount of information, but am still unsure about how to implement it in the gym. Whenever I ask, I get "follow the basics" which is easily good advice. And by your standards, im a grade A noob, weak and I think I look like ****. Are you in favor of bulking even if bf% isnt the most favorable?

And to the original poster, sry for sidetracking like this, but I never did get a straight up answer about this stuff like I seem to be doing now.

Jordanbcool
05-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Well it took me a year to get the basics down and even now I'm making dumb mistakes. Its all about learning, no one knows everything in a couple months. It takes alot of practice to get what you learn from here and apply it to your workouts. Just last summer I was still using the "thigh master" at my gym and still didn't know proper squat form. A year later and I'm still having trouble with my squat form. But I've learned to focus more on heavy/free weight lifts and thats helped me out a long way. For a while I thought I was working really hard and then one day I realized I wasn't working hard at all. So yea, it takes time to get even the basics down but once you get it, the results are noticeable.

sharkall2003
05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Shark, thats interesting. I believe I retain a fair amount of information, but am still unsure about how to implement it in the gym. Whenever I ask, I get "follow the basics" which is easily good advice. And by your standards, im a grade A noob, weak and I think I look like ****. Are you in favor of bulking even if bf% isnt the most favorable?

I also said it's all relative. Are you still weak compared to when you started? Are you still doing the same old routine week after week? Are you never trying to techniques? There's a difference between being weak compared to someone else and being weak to when you started. If I compared myself to Stump I'd be a weak ass little boy. But looking at where I started I am much stronger and smarter.