PDA

View Full Version : Recovery after tough GPP sessions...

KingJustin
05-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I've been doing a bunch of cardio sessions recently. Mostly stuff like complexes or one of the CrossFit girls, etc.

I've been amazed at how much I've improved my times. Today I hit a 5:46 Fran, which might not sound great compared to Anthony, but I was at 11:30ish about a month and a half ago.

Anyway, the issue has been that I've been pushing very hard, but my recovery time afterwards is really a lot longer than I think it should be. When I finished my complexes last Tuesday, I set a big PR, but then I just dropped and felt like puking for about 15 minutes. I basically couldn't move and I had trouble even sitting down. My heart rate didn't drop down to a normal pace for even longer and it took me a couple hours to feel normal again.

Are there any kind of things you guys do to improve recovery ability post-cardio?

muscleup
05-11-2007, 04:32 PM
More.

Hazerboy
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Recovery time varies from individual to individual and has a host of factors involved. First, however, I must ask what you mean by recovery time. Here it sounds like you're immediate recovery time, i.e. after a really hard workout you feel drained for the next couple hours. Here I'll add that usually what people mean by recovery time is the time between workouts, or how sore you feel the next day and the amount of days you need in between workouts.
Regardless, feeling like your about to vomit for the next couple minutes can mean several things: One, it can mean that ate too close to when you work out, and may need to eat an hour or two earlier, two, you just had a really hard workout and its simply a natural response from your body (be lucky if this one is true - its very difficult to train to this point), or three, you're just out of shape.
It could also be a combination or all of these things.

A couple general guidelines that might help:

Diet. If your eating crappy foods you're going to feel crappy. I won't get into specifics on this, which is beyond the range of this response. Start scoping out the diet and nutrition board if you want more information. Also, a simple carbohydrate following your workout wouldn't hurt. Gatorade is alright, though really anything with a bit of sugar and salt along with some water is fine.

More sleep. Try and get at least 8 hours or more. This will play a huge role in your recovery time from workout to workout, i.e. how sore you feel the next day.

Give it time. Despite your improved time you're probably still a bit out of shape . :-p

KingJustin
05-11-2007, 06:46 PM
hmmm..

I have good recovery ability as far as workout to workout. I've been training 9-10x per week and I've been making really big gains recently. My diet is perfect. That's without question not an issue. As far as eating too much immediately before, I don't think that's much of an issue either. I run 2 miles in about 12:30 right now. If I ran it in 13:30 I would feel fine and not feel like puking in the least.

My issue is that when I'm pushing myself really hard I feel absolutely, completely drained and I don't recover in the ~15-20 minutes afterwards. If I was in an MMA match and I found out that I had to go another round, I'd have to throw in the towel.

I'm not trying to post a "look at me! i try really hard!!" I'm just attempting to get an idea of how to improve this. I remember seeing a girl finish a cross country race in first place. 5k in 16:30 or something like that (which is a very good time for a girl). She was clearly pushing herself hard the whole race, as I was able to witness. The last 400m she had a great kick, and she finished with a hard sprint. But, when she finished, she walked with her hands over her head for about 20 steps, and then jogged a half mile as a cool down to get the soreness out...

BigRic
05-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way after we do hard sprint workouts and sometimes i even do puke. for me i think it has to do with my body not dispelling heat properly and when i pour cold water over my head I feel alright but if i don't i get that feeling like i'm going to puke. I've also had a suspicion that my aerobic conditioning may not be good.

Sensei
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm just guessing from your other posts that you are doing waaay too much...

A cool-down would help too, but it won't matter if you are just plain overreaching in every training session, not getting enough recovery between sessions, and driving yourself into a state of overtraining...

djreef
05-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Temperature plays a big part, too. It is getting warmer outside, and that'll knock the crap outta you.

DJ