PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day - Ed Coan : Final Meet

Bob
05-12-2007, 09:32 PM
From IronMind...http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/morenews.php?id=1996#1996

Ed Coan : Final Meet by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | 2007 IronMind

Schaumburg, Illinois - Superstar powerlifter Ed Coan said that he is doing one more meet before retiring, and based on how his training is going, Eddie is primed to unleash some very impressive lifts.

Watching the action at the USA Weightlifting National Championships yesterday, Ed Coan was immediately surrounded by a group of people eager to say hello to the iconic powerlifter.

The USPF Nationals, on August 11 in Las Vegas will be his last meet, Ed Coan said. “It’s just time,” he said. “I’ll be 44.”

What he didn’t add was what a ride he has had in powerlifting - a guy didn’t have to use extreme gear or loose rules to post huge numbers, Ed Coan did it the old-fashioned way . . . he’s just plain strong.

And talking strong, Ed said he’s squatting 800 now with just a belt, benching 500 raw and deadlifting 800 on a three-inch block with no belt, so the stage is set for a big show in Vegas.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dang, I've got 2 yrs to go to beat those numbers...
800/500/800...
lol... that would only be a 90%, 75% and 85% improvement over the lifts I have now... OUCH!!

Bako Lifter
05-12-2007, 09:43 PM
And talking strong, Ed said hes squatting 800 now with just a belt, benching 500 raw and deadlifting 800 on a three-inch block with no belt

:omg: He's gonna tear it up!

Stumprrp
05-12-2007, 11:18 PM
ed is just a monster

vdizenzo
05-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Ed is one of the best lifters of all time. He is also a very cool guy. Although he may not be competing I bet he will stick around the sport.

Sensei
05-13-2007, 09:40 AM
I hope he does well. He is an amazing specimen. Has he just been plagued with injury the past 6 or so years?

rmccray
05-13-2007, 02:46 PM
i agree this may be his last time on the platform lifting but i bet we will see him promoting,judging and sometimes just chillin at some of the big meets ed is awesome and not just because he knows my name S.F.W

Guido
05-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd like to see Ed still compete and take all those age group records as he gets older (no doubt he could), but I understand that when you've been doing it that long and you've been at such a high level for that time that it takes a huge toll on your body. Perhaps he will become like Gus Rethwisch and get hugely involved in some fed and travel around to meets and judge. He is and always will be a great amabassador for the sport.

I plan to hit up Quads Gym in Chicago (where Ed trains) one of these days and hopefully I'll get lucky sometime and actually get to meet him there.

bill
05-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I wish guys like Ed would get more tv time.

Future
05-14-2007, 07:27 PM
He's the best ever in my mind.

Elbutcho
05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I saw Coan at the USPF Senior Nationals in (I think it was 96) amazing as was Capt Kirk.