PDA

View Full Version : hard boiled eggs..

bako stud
05-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I am starting to hard boil eggs so i can get more protien, should i only eat the white stuff and not the yellow or should i eat both? i hurd that the yellow is alot of cholestrol and the white is all the protien, is this true? and if it is true for the whites having the protien aproximately how much grams does it have if you know? thanks for the help

Albertz
05-14-2007, 10:35 PM
It depends dude, if it fits into your diet well eat it. Eggs have good fats as well. Yes its true the white part is all protein.

One hard boiled egg has about - 81cal | 5.8fat| 1.6sat fat |227mg Chol | 6.9 protein

One hard boiled egg white has about - 15cal| 3.7protein

Mr. D
05-15-2007, 01:00 AM
i know alot of people follow the 3 to 1 ratio, for every 3 eggs, eat one yolk.

Cirino83
05-15-2007, 07:32 AM
^^ Thats what I do. Mainly because the yolk when hard boiled kind of grosses me out.

gsteve
05-15-2007, 10:15 AM
damn... the yellow part is what makes the egg worth eating.... taste wise

Stumprrp
05-15-2007, 10:40 AM
unless your dieting down, eat the whole eggs, there are to many benefits to list.

Coqui
05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
damn... the yellow part is what makes the egg worth eating.... taste wise

If you don't actually have a cholesterol problem, I wouldn't worry about the cholesterol from eggs.

faithless
05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
isn't egg yolk toxic in the liver?

BCorn
05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
while we are on the subject of boiled eggs.......are there any tricks to peeling them EASILY. sometimes they seem to work great and sometimes it's like the shell is glued to the egg. is it better to peel them cold, hot, under water......?

Bleek13
05-15-2007, 11:56 AM
while we are on the subject of boiled eggs.......are there any tricks to peeling them EASILY. sometimes they seem to work great and sometimes it's like the shell is glued to the egg. is it better to peel them cold, hot, under water......?

Peeling !!???

You don't have time, this is not in a restaurant ! Chop the boiled egg in half with a spoon and scoop both halfs out.

JustLost
05-15-2007, 12:34 PM

Once they're done cooking, pour off the water and cover them with ice and a little cold water. Let them cool for a few minutes, then peel them in the water. The shells should slip off easily.

That's the way we did it in restaurants to save time. ;)

Bleek13
05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Well if you insist on eating in a suit and having caviar with your eggs, then yes, poor cold water over the prepared eggs. That makes peeling right after cooking easier.

getfit
05-15-2007, 01:04 PM

I peel them when they are still hot, running under slightly warm water.

KingWilder
05-15-2007, 01:11 PM
if you immediately put the just boiled eggs into an ice bath they should be easier to peel when they cool because the egg itself will constrict and leave a little space between itself and the shell

Cirino83
05-15-2007, 01:30 PM
I eat the shells.

getfit
05-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I eat the shells.

why?

Cirino83
05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Sharpens my teeth ;)

I was kidding about eating the shells.

getfit
05-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Sharpens my teeth ;)

I was kidding about eating the shells.

you never know ;)

Rock Steady
05-15-2007, 02:17 PM

Crack the egg in the hollow area first, which is usually the more rounded end. From there, you should be good so long as you make sure to peel the shell and the 'skin' that's right underneath it together. If you only get the shell and not the skin, that's what creates problems from what I've seen.

Steven001
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Crack the egg in the hollow area first, which is usually the more rounded end. From there, you should be good so long as you make sure to peel the shell and the 'skin' that's right underneath it together. If you only get the shell and not the skin, that's what creates problems from what I've seen.

What kind of... problems?

Rock Steady
05-15-2007, 03:41 PM
What kind of... problems?

Just the shell being 'stuck.'

I suppose if that's what we consider a problem, our lives are in pretty good shape! :rolleyes:

Steven001
05-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Ah ok ;)

I thought you were meaning, that you would get some sort of illness if you eat the 'skin' :P

manowar669
05-16-2007, 10:16 AM

This comes up a lot, and I've been answering it for over 15 years. Peeling them under water can help, but it's the age of the egg that makes them harder to peel. Fresher eggs are usually hardest to peel. When you buy your eggs, get a ton of them, and stick some in the back of the refrigerator. Wait a week or two before you boil them. Rotate your stock so that you are always boiling eggs that are a few weeks old. I always have two stacks of 18pack eggs in my refrigerator. One stack for boiling, the other for eating right away.
Eat the fresher ones in other ways, since fresher eggs taste better over-easy, scrambled, poached, etc.

theJamAbides
05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
After I boil mine, I pour cold water over the top, and then the FASTEST way to get the shells off is to bang the **** out of the egg against the sink and crunch up the whole shell, then just one pinch and the clear film that surrounds the egg will grab all the shell pieces and off they come in one piece. Then I rinse with the water again to make sure I got it all then I put the egg in my mouth after lightly salting.

viper200202
05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Best way to peel shells of eggs is all in the preparation.
Put the eggs in cold water for about 5 minutes with a tbsp of vinegar.
Then put the eggs in the boiling water for about 5-6 minutes.
Take out and peel right away or put in the fridge for later eating

No joke it works everytime and i never have problems with peeling.
Enjoy

Nosaj
05-17-2007, 02:25 PM
You only boil for 5-6 minutes? I cook mine for 10 minutes, am I overcooking?

I too do the boil-> icewater bath for 5 minutes. It works well. Once you get under the skin, easy peel!

viper200202
05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
6 minutes seems to work fine for me. Sometimes there in for 7 or maybe 8.
I dont think it makes a huge difference but the longer you cook the egg for the tougher its going to be......i think

KingWilder
05-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I boil my eggs for 30 mins

how do you people get away with only doing for like 5-10

viper200202
05-17-2007, 05:37 PM
http://thefoody.com/mrsbcheese/boiledeggs.html
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/BoiledEggs.htm

both are a little different.

I just use large eggs. Works for me
Also depends on how your element is. I have a gas cooktop and it gets pretty hot. If it were electric it would take a few minutes longer to cook i guess.

majurbludd
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Well if you insist on eating in a suit and having caviar with your eggs, then yes, poor cold water over the prepared eggs. That makes peeling right after cooking easier.

lol
thats really funny

ddegroff
05-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Just tried the ice/water method, worked really well.

getfit
05-18-2007, 04:48 AM

30 mins? god, they must be like stone after peel them.

LouPac
05-18-2007, 05:04 AM

Uh, turn the fire up...

KingWilder
05-18-2007, 05:17 AM
they taste/turn out fine

every recipe I've ever looked at was at least 20 mins

EDIT: here's an interesting article on boiling eggs (still recommends at least 15-20 for solid yolk and white)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/BoiledEggs.htm

manowar669
05-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Best method of boiling eggs (per Julia Child, and many other "chefs"). Start eggs in cold water. Turn on heat. When the water just reaches the boil, cover, turn off heat. Let sit at least 20 min in the now cooling water. Perfect, and it doesn't take much of your time, since you can just leave them in the pot (even overnight) after you turn the heat off.

Smooth23
05-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Hmm, eggs cook at a low temp, but I wouldn't trust that water would stay hot enough to boil eggs through if you get to a boil then remove heat. Maybe if its 1 egg in a gallon of water? As for leaving them in there overnight, no thanks. The water will only cool to room temp, and I dont know about you but I assume a cold egg is a happy egg.

manowar669
05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Hmm, eggs cook at a low temp, but I wouldn't trust that water would stay hot enough to boil eggs through if you get to a boil then remove heat. Maybe if its 1 egg in a gallon of water? As for leaving them in there overnight, no thanks. The water will only cool to room temp, and I dont know about you but I assume a cold egg is a happy egg.

They cook fine. I do 18 eggs in about 2 quarts of water. And the pot is pretty much sterile, since it's been boiled (unless you stick your dirty finger in there after it's cooled).
I used to boil my eggs for 5-10 minutes about 10 years ago. I watch a lot of cooking shows (gotta cook if you wanna eat). Many chefs say the same thing. You can boil the hell outta them if you want to, but I find the whites are perfect and tender this way (no rubbery ones).

Maybe if you live in Denver, this wouldn't work well.

lexluther1
06-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I usually put about 2-3 eggs in my shakes, is this bad?..(cholesterol speaking of course).. sometimes eating 3-6 egg daily..

McLaughlin
06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Peeling !!???

You don't have time, this is not in a restaurant ! Chop the boiled egg in half with a spoon and scoop both halfs out.

This made me laugh.

A LOT.

Glad my co-workers are gone.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 06:30 PM
I usually put about 2-3 eggs in my shakes, is this bad?..(cholesterol speaking of course).. sometimes eating 3-6 egg daily..
If you mean raw eggs then no... don't do that.

lexluther1
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM
they are raw, usually 2 sometimes 3 eggs.. so this is bad?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Don't eat raw eggs. Yes, it's bad.

lexluther1
06-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Why are they bad, i read they are healthier than boiled, or have more nutrients anyway...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Why are they bad, i read they are healthier than boiled, or have more nutrients anyway...
Where the hell did you read that raw eggs are healthy? You have a chance of Salmonella poisoning, they are way less digestible than cooked eggs as cooking them denatures the protein and makes them more bioavailable. You're not Rocky Balboa.

You know what? Do what you want, I don't care.

lexluther1
06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
For starters:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2618361

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Dude, don't go to bodybuilding.com please. That site is a goldmine of misinformation. That isn't a source. That's a joke.

Also, he said nothing of it being healthier... he said there's more protein... which also doesn't make sense. I fail to see how once you cook an egg it loses any significant amount of protein to justify downing raw eggs every day.

Dude... lay off the raw eggs, please.

PowerBuilder
06-24-2009, 11:06 PM
For starters:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2618361

Did you even read that thread?

PowerBuilder
06-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Dude, don't go to bodybuilding.com please. That site is a goldmine of misinformation. That isn't a source. That's a joke.

Also, he said nothing of it being healthier... he said there's more protein... which also doesn't make sense. I fail to see how once you cook an egg it loses any significant amount of protein to justify downing raw eggs every day.

Dude... lay off the raw eggs, please.

Hehe, there is 0.2g more protein but it's only 51% bioavailable. The albumin i mean, not just the 0.2g :D

I think the whole misconception comes from a discussion whether denatured proteins are harmful or not (long time ago, when Designer Whey was introduced and used that as a selling point), when it comes to albumin it becomes more BA when denatured though. (and less harmful since boiling it kills ev. bacteria in the egg)

lexluther1
06-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I did read it, they werent doggin raw eggs like you guys, only bacteria, which, as they said is on the shell, not the egg itself...if they are sooooo bad, why am i constantly hearing of lifters drinkin like 12 raw eggs a day... ???

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Like I said, eat your raw eggs. I don't care. You're incapable of listening.

lexluther1
06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I find arguments for both sides...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm done. Have fun.

lexluther1
06-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Like I said, eat your raw eggs. I don't care. You're incapable of listening.

and your a jerk! I am just trying to get the facts, you may be right, but you dont have to be a a** about it.

PowerBuilder
06-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I did read it, they werent doggin raw eggs like you guys, only bacteria, which, as they said is on the shell, not the egg itself...if they are sooooo bad, why am i constantly hearing of lifters drinkin like 12 raw eggs a day... ???

Apparently you did NOT read the thread, a contaminated hen will transfer both shigella and salmonella to the egg and if you know how babby is formed you should know that the bacteria will be on the inside too.

It's not a question whether raw eggs have lower bioavailability or not, they do.

If you need a protein drink, get yourself some protein powder, eggs are for eating, not for drinking. ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-25-2009, 12:05 AM
and your a jerk! I am just trying to get the facts, you may be right, but you dont have to be a a** about it.
http://i43.tinypic.com/ev7td1.jpg

hellagrant
06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
me = hungry for boiled eggs

Can't wait for breakfast.

PowerBuilder
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Why wait? ;)

Mercuryblade
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM

The odds of getting salmonella are pretty slim, but it's still not a chance really worth taking, unless you are okay with potentially dying or getting really sick.
Also, think about what happens when you crack an egg, since when is it possible to crack an egg without some of the shell coming in contact with the contents?

Either listen or don't, but don't use anecdotal evidence as a justification for an argument. We've got good mods and a good community on this board that work hard to dispell the rampant misinformation that seems to plague the weightlifting community. If you don't want to listen to sound advice based on facts, or don't have anything positive to add go back to bodybuilding.com, as that community will suit you better.

Trainwreck
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
The odds of getting salmonella are pretty slim, but it's still not a chance really worth taking, unless you are okay with potentially dying or getting really sick.
Also, think about what happens when you crack an egg, since when is it possible to crack an egg without some of the shell coming in contact with the contents?

Either listen or don't, but don't use anecdotal evidence as a justification for an argument. We've got good mods and a good community on this board that work hard to dispell the rampant misinformation that seems to plague the weightlifting community. If you don't want to listen to sound advice based on facts, or don't have anything positive to add go back to bodybuilding.com, as that community will suit you better.

/thread

lexluther1
06-25-2009, 02:37 PM

I think i will too many pecker heads here! they are a much bigger forum anyway.

lexluther1
06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Have fun with your arm chair 'health' advice.... i am outta here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

evilxxx
06-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Me too but im just gonna make me a 6 fried eggs sandwich ...im not patient to wait for eggs to boil...lol

Skalami
06-26-2009, 01:29 PM
does an argument always seem to happen when Scarz of pain starts posting or am i wrong?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
does an argument always seem to happen when Scarz of pain starts posting or am i wrong?
You'd be wrong.

:ninja:

yowai
07-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I put tabasco on the cooked eggs and they are much better.

Also I steam them in my steamer for about 14 minutes and then immediately put them in ice water and they peel easily. I didn't know about the age of the eggs, so I'll try that.

tomcruise1488
07-01-2009, 04:56 AM
i know alot of people follow the 3 to 1 ratio, for every 3 eggs, eat one yolk.

bowester
07-02-2009, 12:21 PM
You could always buy pasturized eggs. Salmonella free and you can suck 'em down like Rocky to your hearts content. My first post; 'hello'

bass slayer
07-03-2009, 11:04 AM
If you poke a hole in the top of the boiled egg shell, you can blow in the hole and the egg shell will fall apart. Hurts your jaw muscles alot though.

bass slayer
07-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow, eating raw eggs is very dumb. Just dont see the logic in eating a raw egg when it only takes a couple minutes to cook one.

read this http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/foodreview/jan1997/jan97d.pdf