PDA

View Full Version : boards question

Lones Green
05-15-2007, 03:33 PM
alright, for board press i'm gonna need to purchase some boards, obviously. i was thinking about getting 6 2ft long 2x6's. i was going to make a 1, 2, and 3 board. help me out on how i need to make these; what kind of saw i should use to make the handles, etc. do i have the right idea? how did you guys make yours?

Detard
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
just nail the boards together and leave abit extra if you want yours to have a handle.

deeder
05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
You could get three 2 foot long boards, drill a hole a couple inches in from one end then use a nut and bolt to hold them together. You leave it slightly loose so you can spin one or two boards around... Then you have a one, two and three board all in one!

If you do it like that you really have to make sure whoever holds them holds on to them real good though...

bigbadwolfe
05-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I would suggest screwing them together. Seems to stay tighter longer for us. I would cutthe bottom board at 16 inches and the stacking boards at 12 inches. That will give you 6 inches sticking out to hold on to at the bottom. I would not worry to much about cutting it out like a paddle just use the excess as a handle.

Wolfy!!!

deeder
05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I would suggest screwing them together. Seems to stay tighter longer for us. I would cutthe bottom board at 16 inches and the stacking boards at 12 inches. That will give you 6 inches sticking out to hold on to at the bottom. I would not worry to much about cutting it out like a paddle just use the excess as a handle.

Wolfy!!!

Agreed on the screws if you don't go with what I mentionned above.

Lones Green
05-15-2007, 09:27 PM
okay cool, thanks guys. awesome idea deeder, i wish i could think of some way to keep the boards in one place while i'm benching. maybe i'll think of something, but i think ill just screw em for now.

Darracq
05-22-2007, 11:02 AM
i just duct tape them together, that way i only need 4 or 5 boards.

Sidior
05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I just used alot of nails. No issues so far.

TommyBoy
05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
What I did was I used a longer board for the 1 board, then added 5 shorter boards on top, and put dowels into 2 opposite corners of each board, so you can put them together easily, then pull each board off at your own will. You just hold the longer board on the bottom when the person is benching. Plus, they don't fall off while benching. Why have 6 sets of boards when all you need is 1.

Lones Green
05-22-2007, 04:31 PM
What I did was I used a longer board for the 1 board, then added 5 shorter boards on top, and put dowels into 2 opposite corners of each board, so you can put them together easily, then pull each board off at your own will. You just hold the longer board on the bottom when the person is benching. Plus, they don't fall off while benching. Why have 6 sets of boards when all you need is 1.

tommy- you are referring to wooden dowels right?

TommyBoy
05-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Yep.

Lones Green
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Yep.

okay cool. i think i understand what you mean, but do you have a picture of your boards? i want to do mine like this

vdizenzo
05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
There was a point where it was just Rob and I training. One would lift off and then reach down to hold the boards all while hoping to be able to spot. I once saw a guy tuck the handle into his belt and that seemed to work well when he was training by himself.

Chubrock
05-22-2007, 06:47 PM
There was a point where it was just Rob and I training. One would lift off and then reach down to hold the boards all while hoping to be able to spot. I once saw a guy tuck the handle into his belt and that seemed to work well when he was training by himself.

I do something very similar. I wear a tight shirt when I bench with boards, and slide the boards up under my shirt. From there I tuck the end of the boards into the waist band on my shorts.

Lones Green
05-22-2007, 07:15 PM

thanks for the tip!! this is awesome since i only workout with 1 other person.