PDA

View Full Version : backyard transformation

Lones Green
05-15-2007, 10:17 PM
so i'm looking to turn my HUGE backyard into a GPP/strongman type gym yard. i'm looking for some easy GPP/strongman type objects to build. so far i'm thinking about atlas stones, big tires, kettlebells, logs, sledgehammer on a tire, sled dragging, sandbags, etc. what are some easy things for me to build to have a fun time in my backyard this summer?

Gunshow
05-15-2007, 10:33 PM
it would be soo sick if you got an old car and made straps for it so you could walk around with a car on your back... i'm actually no help i know nothing about strongman training or anything i just watchWSM whenever its on...

Lones Green
05-15-2007, 10:38 PM
it would be soo sick if you got an old car and made straps for it so you could walk around with a car on your back... i'm actually no help i know nothing about strongman training or anything i just watchWSM whenever its on...

hahaha i totally mentioned this to my friend tonight at the gym. i'm making a trip to the junkyard this weekend to find some objects for my GPP wonderland, and i was like "if i could get an old hollowed out geo with some straps and pads, that'd be awesome."

tomv
05-16-2007, 08:02 AM
If you're hitting up a junkyard...
Sled from an old car hood
Tire from a truck for flipping \
Tire for sled for weight -Could all be the same tire I guess..
Tire for sledgehammer hits /

I don't know if you "build logs" or if you just try cut a tree down and use part of that (I'm assuming if you have a huge backyard you have some trees). NO idea whatsoever as to how to build atlas stones.

I got some sandbags today, stole em from a construction site then bunged them in a pillow case (so you don't get sand falling into your eyes or irritation from hessian sack rubbing your skin)

:thumbup: hope that helps

Lones Green
05-16-2007, 01:55 PM
thanks tomv. i actually have the recipe for making atlas stones if you want it.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/makeastone.htm

i THINK i got it from justasu and he's tried it, said it works fine.

Wiggy
05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Try some of this stuff:

-cut down a decent sized tree - about 1-1.5 feet in diameter and 10-12 feet long (up to 15?). Flip over back and forth a la Fingal Fingers.

-sandbags, kegs, large rocks for loading events. Pick up one, carry 20-50 feet. Put down and repeat with all other implements. Go for time.

-to make an atlas stone, get a swiss ball. Cover it in plaster, but leave an open spot. Stick a knife through to pop the ball, and pull it out. Fill with cement. Let dry. Crack/break plaster off outside.

-power hopscotch: Set up benches, barrels, whatever. Jump from item to item. You can jump over items, as well as twists in the air. For example - jump onto a bench, then sideways onto a barrel, then backwards over a rope, turn 90 degrees to the left, jump over another rope and do a 180 at the same time, turn 90 degrees to the left again to arrive at starting point.

Hope that helps.

Wiggy