PDA

View Full Version : First meet.....need help!

live2lift
05-16-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm competing in my first powerlifting meet this saturday pending I can get my weight to 198. I'm currently around 201. Any advice on losing that extra few lbs without comprimising strength? About 2.5 months ago I was around 210-212 lbs and decided after measuring 39" around my waist it was time to clean up my diet. I've lost 10 since then and almost 2" off my waist by cutting out sugar and eliminating the greasy fried stuff but I think my bench has dropped 10 lbs also. Very frustrating!! My macros are around 300 grams of protein around 200 carbs and 85-90 grams of fat per day. Am drinking a gallon of water a day and steadily increasing that number.

Is my strength loss normal?

The meet starts around 1 p.m. What food would you recomend that morning that would help with energy/strength, without putting me over the weight?

Also, I've got chest/tri tommorow night and back/shoulder/bicep thurs night. Should I take it light on these workouts or possibly skip em all together?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Detard
05-16-2007, 08:16 AM
3lbs is nothing. I can gain 8-9lbs from morning to night. That last 3 lbs should be easy to lose.

Guido
05-16-2007, 08:17 AM
You only have 3 lbs to lose? That's nothing. Just don't eat much the day before. Drink coffee or tea the day before, too. Take a big ole dump. By the morning you should be plenty light and ready to weigh in after taking that morning piss. Then eat a nice big breakfast and get ready for your meet (and keep eating throughout the day).

vdizenzo
05-16-2007, 10:17 AM
you will lose 3lbs in nerves alone before you weigh in--trust me

Bob
05-16-2007, 12:12 PM
You shouldn't lift any weights this week... a full 7 days to rest is good... maybe some active rehab, like walking, light cardio, foam roller, etc...

And read Built's monthly article on WBB... about 2-3 months ago, she showed how to lose water weight 2-3 days before a contest... worked like a charm for me... I lost >7 in 3 days... easily...

GL and have fun...

Sensei
05-16-2007, 09:14 PM
You shouldn't lift any weights this week... a full 7 days to rest is good... maybe some active rehab, like walking, light cardio, foam roller, etc...
I second this. You have a meet in what, less than 72 hours? Don't do anything more than walking or very light stretching - get rest.

live2lift
05-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, with just under a day to go it looks like ive made my weight goal. I weighed 196 this morning after I took a leak. I weighed after breakfast around 11 (which is what time weigh in is tommorow) and I was 197.5
Just weighed around 2 pm at 199.5

At the rate of about 1 lb a day I should be fine for tommorow. Any eating or drinking suggestions that will help my strength/energy without pushing me over weight?

Also, as i said, weigh in is from 11-12 tommorow and competition starts at 1.
I've heard that after I weigh in that I should load up on carbs right after that. Maybe I should go grab a burger and fries?

ernburn
05-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I would recommend getting an energy drink or two and some high carb food but don't fill up to much, i drank a rockstar about 30 minutes before my meet started and it went up 30lbs from the last one which where about 1 month apart obviously training had alot to do with it but i think energy drinks give u that extra pep u might want good luck

Chubrock
05-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I would recommend getting an energy drink or two and some high carb food but don't fill up to much, i drank a rockstar about 30 minutes before my meet started and it went up 30lbs from the last one which where about 1 month apart obviously training had alot to do with it but i think energy drinks give u that extra pep u might want good luck

If you're not used to a high level of caffeine, I don't recommend this at all. Stay away from trying random things the day of the meet. Stick with what you know. It would suck ass to get to the meet only to spend your time in the bathroom because you didn't know caffeine screwed with your stomach.

Guido
05-21-2007, 11:18 AM
If you're not used to a high level of caffeine, I don't recommend this at all. Stay away from trying random things the day of the meet. Stick with what you know. It would suck ass to get to the meet only to spend your time in the bathroom because you didn't know caffeine screwed with your stomach.Very true. Don't stray from your regular diet too much right before or the day of a meet.

live2lift
06-07-2007, 03:45 AM
Just wanted to update this. Meet was on May 19th. And while my weight was below 198 it didnt matter too much anyways cuz the guy who was running it said his weight scale broke and he was operating this meet on the "honor system." It was a push/pull contest and I only competed in the bench. (Still working on the deadlift) I did OK but not as well as I thought I would and know I can do. There were about 30-40 competitors but with as many weight classes and age classes there were prolly only a few that I was competing against directly. I got 1st with a lift of 325. Wouldve got more but I kinda screwed myself with a rookie mistake.(Paused too long). 325 was also a state record in my weight class for novice but I think I got it by default.

Anyways I had a great time and learned alot and am looking forward to the next meet theyre having here in October. The state record for the open class of my weight is 345. I'm gonna slaughter that. Im hoping to be in the 360 range by october....we'll see

Scooter
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to update this. Meet was on May 19th. And while my weight was below 198 it didnt matter too much anyways cuz the guy who was running it said his weight scale broke and he was operating this meet on the "honor system." It was a push/pull contest and I only competed in the bench. (Still working on the deadlift) I did OK but not as well as I thought I would and know I can do. There were about 30-40 competitors but with as many weight classes and age classes there were prolly only a few that I was competing against directly. I got 1st with a lift of 325. Wouldve got more but I kinda screwed myself with a rookie mistake.(Paused too long). 325 was also a state record in my weight class for novice but I think I got it by default.

Anyways I had a great time and learned alot and am looking forward to the next meet theyre having here in October. The state record for the open class of my weight is 345. I'm gonna slaughter that. Im hoping to be in the 360 range by october....we'll see

Not bad for your first meet. The sky's the limit. Get that dead and squat up!

Buffman
06-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Great jog on your first meet.
Do you have any other meets planned?

deeder
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Nice work man! Are you going to do a 3-lift any time soon?

live2lift
06-10-2007, 06:10 PM
I plan on competing in a meet in october. Its another push pull thing. Gonna keep working on my dead and squat and have no doubt that once I get them up I'll wanna compete in those too.