PDA

View Full Version : Slow bulk?

SaintGJR
05-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi all - just looking for some ideas really.

What would you guys approach be in my sitation in order to add mass - would you just eat say 350-500 over maintenance and look to add a little mass each month so that the fat gains are limited or would you bulk with lots of calories and then cut later?

I have read an article on T-Nation recently about only eating a little over your calorie maintenance in order to limit fat gains but still gain muscle.

Just looking for you guys responses as obviously i dont want to get add a lot fat if i dont have to as cutting time is time when you cannot be building muscle.

How much should someone natural be looking to add each month (5 pounds maybe)?

Thanks.

ray34iyf
05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
What are your stats(height, age, weight, experience, etc.)?

Mr. D
05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Whats your bf% currently?

I subscribe to the slow,clean bulks. cutting becomes that much easier when the time comes.

Look to a 10-20% increase on maintence cals depending on your metabolism and current BF%.

KingWilder
05-16-2007, 01:05 PM
after going through two big bulking and cutting cycles I will never again diet that way

I'm currently slimming down to sub 10% bodyfat and then I plan on eating like 200-300 calories over maintenance...I want an extremely slow gain, so that when all is said and done I don't even have to cut

SaintGJR
05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Well im about 6ft and 12% bodyfat at the moment and about 180lbs.

I did bulk in the past and put on far too much weight in 8 weeks so i was just asking if i take it a little slower if this will be better - i think it is the way forward - but wanted you guys' opinions.

KingWilder
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I think a slow bulk is always better...obviously it depends on your goals

if you wanna be really strong and fat and then cut and be ripped go for it

I'm just going to deal with not gaining as much strength every week and do it more slowly

if I can bulk to 200 in 6 months with 1%bf gain why would I want to bulk FOR 6 months...gain >1%bf and then STILL have to cut

but like I said, it's really a matter of personal preference

SaintGJR
05-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Yeh that is very true - and also time cutting is less time building muscle.

sharkall2003
05-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Do a slower bulk. It's healthier, your body fat won't go up as much, and overall it will be easier to cut if you decide to. Plus, if you stop bulking, it would be much easier to recomp.