PDA

View Full Version : Can some one help me formulate a diet plan with my restraints

donnie165
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I need help formulating a diet for major weight loss. I am 6"3 277(fat) and need to lose weight and asap. I am so sick of it. So anyway I tried to figure out my maintence and i'm getting around 4k give or take from calculators. I want to try to eat 2500 or maybe 2k if you guys think thats okay. I have some restraints which I hope we can work around. I am a very picky eater and eat nearly no fruit and vegtables I hate them all basically except a select few. Also I go to school so a breakfast I would have to be able to be easy and fast and lunch i'd have to either bring it to school or buy it in school. That's basically it so can anyone help my cause?>

KingWilder
05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
hmmm, sounds like you should look into trying a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast)...it sucks, but it'll give the results you're currently looking for

donnie165
05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Well I'm looking for fast loss but not that. I was hoping someone could help me structure a diet.

KingWilder
05-16-2007, 06:37 PM
okay, then find your maintenance
decrease it by 300-500 calories and go from there

make sure the foods you eat are healthy (what a bodybuilder eats thread)

1.5g protein per lb LBM or about 1g per lb
.5g per lb healthy fats
fill in carbs as needed to meet your daily cals

it also might help to try and carb cycle

mritche
05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
I need help formulating a diet for major weight loss. I am 6"3 277(fat) and need to lose weight and asap. I am so sick of it. So anyway I tried to figure out my maintence and i'm getting around 4k give or take from calculators. I want to try to eat 2500 or maybe 2k if you guys think thats okay. I have some restraints which I hope we can work around. I am a very picky eater and eat nearly no fruit and vegtables I hate them all basically except a select few. Also I go to school so a breakfast I would have to be able to be easy and fast and lunch i'd have to either bring it to school or buy it in school. That's basically it so can anyone help my cause?>

Suck it up and eat your fruits and vegetables. At 6'3" and 277 pounds you don't need a diet, you need a lifestyle change.

Look up John Berardi's "7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs" - for someone in your situation, following them and exercising some restraint in portion size is all you need to lose a lot of weight and get healthy.

seK
05-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Suck it up and eat your fruits and vegetables. At 6'3" and 277 pounds you don't need a diet, you need a lifestyle change.

Look up John Berardi's "7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs" - for someone in your situation, following them and exercising some restraint in portion size is all you need to lose a lot of weight and get healthy.
You mean this?

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
So what about calories, or macronutrient ratios, or any number of other things that Iíve covered in other articles? The short answer is that if you arenít already practicing the above-mentioned habits, and by practicing them I mean putting them to use over 90% of the time (i.e., no more than 4 meals out of an average 42 meals per week violate any of those rules), everything else is pretty pointless.

Meh some of them are applicable but there is plenty of useless information in there. Myself I donít agree with 1, 3, 4 or 6. The others I may disagree with but it could just be the way in which he has worded them.

seK
05-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Well I'm looking for fast loss but not that. I was hoping someone could help me structure a diet.

If I were you would start out with a week or two of PSMF then transfer into a moderate caloric deficit diet. As for the structure of the diet you can find hundreds of examples on this forum and most follow the same "basic" structure.

mritche
05-17-2007, 06:17 PM
You mean this?

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

Meh some of them are applicable but there is plenty of useless information in there. Myself I donít agree with 1, 3, 4 or 6. The others I may disagree with but it could just be the way in which he has worded them.

IMO, there are good reasons to follow all of the habits on that list - not just for body composition, but for satiation and general health:

1) Eating every 2-3 hours is likely to keep most people from getting so ravenously hungry that they overeat.

3) How many "critique my diet" threads do you see on here with some kid looking to get big or lean on a diet of canned tuna, peanut butter, and whole wheat bread? It's just begging for micronutrient deficiency - there are all kinds of health and body comp benefits to fruits and veggies. Your blood sugar will stay steady and the fiber will keep you full. If your diet doesn't have some fruit and plenty of veggies, it probably sucks. Besides, they're tasty.

4) It's a well-known fact that post-workout is the best time to have lots of carbs: the high blood sugar/insulin levels will go toward recovery and glycogen replenishment rather than anything else. I'll grant that this should also depend somewhat on your personal goals and carb tolerance but for fat loss no one is going to tell you that having most of your carbs post-workout is a bad idea.

6) My take on this is more that you shouldn't be drinking fruit juice or non-diet soft drinks, which is a pretty solid recommendation. Most "fruit juice" is HFCS and maybe 10% of fruit juice from concentrate if you're lucky and sugar-containing pop is bad too. Skim milk is debatable.

Berardi comes across as pretty absolutist sometimes, but I see his habits as simple rules anyone can follow to improve their health and body comp (without resorting to counting calories and macros until you absolutely need to). Depending on your goals there may be some flexibility with the whole nutrient timing thing, but can you really say a diet following these rules isn't going to do you well?

I don't really find eating this way restrictive at all - beyond not eating junk food (which is pretty obvious anyway), I can eat just about any food I want as long as it's at the right time.