PDA

View Full Version : Need help.

dragon1037
05-16-2007, 09:46 PM
First of all, hi, I'm a 15 year old freshmen (almost a sophmore) at my high school. I love baseball and have been playing it since t-ball. This year I tryed out for my JV baseball team at my school. I was cut. The only reason I can figure is that my arms are too weak and I can't throw the ball as hard, fast, or as far as the others. I play right field, so I need a strong arm to be successful. To give you an idea, I can't throw the ball in a straight line to first base from third on a high school field (90 feet I believe, I could be wrong). I can catch the ball in right field great, but it's the throwing that I don't have. My question is, how can I improve my arm to be up to par, or close to it for next year's tryouts. I have a pair of 2.5lb weights, a 5lb weight, and a pair of 8lb weights. I started weightlifting with the 2.5 and 5lb weights last week. I exercise one day, then rest the next, etc etc. Are there certain exercises I can do to improve it quicker and more efficient? Also, I don't know any of the exercise names, if you guys could name a few and describe them, that would be great. Thanks a lot.

Bako Lifter
05-16-2007, 10:26 PM
What do you do with 5 lb weights?

WestsideWarrior
05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Go find a local gym, get a membership, get a routine, eat right.

Baseball wise.....throwing...maybe strap some strapweights to your wrist and throw....I don't really know throwing drills.

dragon1037
05-17-2007, 07:21 AM
What do you do with 5 lb weights?

bicep curls.
Some other information that might help, I'm 5'7 and I weight 123 lbs.

schmitty199
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Weightlifting will help you with every sport but in this case im not sure it's going to do what you want. IMO baseball arm strength and weightlifting arm dont exactly transfer with each other.

I know a guy who can bench about 150, incline about 125 and is one of the fastest pitchers in the area. I know lots of guys that can lift quite a bit but have average or in some cases bad arm strength in baseball terms.

So basically what im trying to say is you can put 60 pounds on your bench and incline and im not sure it will help you throw the ball any farther or harder. But it will make you a much more powerful hitter and other lifts like cleans and squats will help you with everything else in baseball.

You just need to work on technique and throw a whole lot of baseballs imo to get a better arm.

paul5150
05-19-2007, 08:22 AM
bicep curls wont do jack... strengthen your core. Do some squats... then get a good routine and eat healthy. Do longtoss! ALOT

dragon1037
05-19-2007, 08:34 AM
whats longtoss? sorry lol

paul5150
05-19-2007, 08:48 AM
playing catch long distance. This will help you tramendously. Start out close to warm up then have your partner take a large step back untill you cant reach him much anymore. Dont try to throw on a straight line, put some arc on it. Check out the forums at baseball-fever: http://www.baseball-fever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

dragon1037
05-19-2007, 08:55 AM
thanks