PDA

View Full Version : gear

Lones Green
05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
so i had big plans to go on tour with my friend's band this summer, and unfortunately that isn't going to be happening. instead i'm going to stay here, and have a short trip to savannah GA in about a month. i have a bunch of money saved up for this summer, and i'm pretty sure i want to use it on gear (and a gigantic atlarge order). i have a few questions...what should i start with? i have inzer wrist wraps, and i'm going to get the same inzer knee wraps, because i have horrible knees, and they go nuts when i squat heavy. i'm also going to get a belt...i was thinking about this one to start with.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_econobelt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ECON_POWER_BELT

and also, i want to invest in some briefs. i know tommyboy, you said the inzer ones aren't worth a ****, so what else should i look at? also a squat suit...what should i look at there for starting? and how much can i expect my squat to go up once i get used to it? thanks to anyone that reads this, and chimes in.

Chris Rodgers
05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
For starters, what federation(s) do you plan on lifting in? First step is to figure that out and make sure the gear you get will be legal in that Fed.

Lones Green
05-16-2007, 10:14 PM
For starters, what federation(s) do you plan on lifting in? First step is to figure that out and make sure the gear you get will be legal in that Fed.

chris, you know i'm a n00b, so here, i will link you to the site.

http://www.southernpowerlifting.com/

Chris Rodgers
05-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I've never heard of that Fed. From the looks of the rules on the website, the gear sounds much like the APF rules. As long as the gear is one piece, you can have any thickness(plys) that you want.

This leaves you with a lot of options. Now, everyone who uses gear has different opinions on how you should start someone new to gear. I think without experienced lifters to help you along(in person), you'd be better off getting some single-ply stuff first and getting used to those. If it isn't ridiculously tight, you'll be able to increase your total, without having to completely alter your technique too much and things will be more natural-feeling.

Or you could get some multi-ply gear and just go at it. If you choose that route, I would definitely suggest starting with looser gear. You can always grow into it or have it pinched tighter when you are ready to advance.

Either way you should try and do whatever you can to contact local powerlifters and try and lift with them. Powerlifters need to lift with powerlifters to become the best that they can become.

Lones Green
05-16-2007, 10:37 PM
I've never heard of that Fed. From the looks of the rules on the website, the gear sounds much like the APF rules. As long as the gear is one piece, you can have any thickness(plys) that you want.

This leaves you with a lot of options. Now, everyone who uses gear has different opinions on how you should start someone new to gear. I think without experienced lifters to help you along(in person), you'd be better off getting some single-ply stuff first and getting used to those. If it isn't ridiculously tight, you'll be able to increase your total, without having to completely alter your technique too much and things will be more natural-feeling.

Or you could get some multi-ply gear and just go at it. If you choose that route, I would definitely suggest starting with looser gear. You can always grow into it or have it pinched tighter when you are ready to advance.

Either way you should try and do whatever you can to contact local powerlifters and try and lift with them. Powerlifters need to lift with powerlifters to become the best that they can become.

thanks for the advice. its been really hard doing this on my own, the only other person i have is my best friend (who does crossfit) to spot me if i need it. there are literally NO powerlifters in knoxville. i've talked to J.T. Hall through myspace, who is from TN but now lives in kentucky...and he knows of no powerlifting gyms or powerlifters in knoxville. i've also talked to Jesse Rodgers, who is a big shot in southern powerlifting, he does all the promotion and puts on all the meets. thats why i have been relying on PLers on this board so heavily, i really don't have anyone else to go to for advice. there is a meet june 16th about 45 minutes away from me i'm definetely going to attend, i guess my best chance would be seeing if i could find some guys there who live relatively close to me, and make the voyage to lift with them once a week, or something like that. it's going to be weird walking up to some random dudes i've never met before and asking if i can lift with them, haha. oh well, i'll make due with what i have.

TommyBoy
05-16-2007, 10:50 PM

Good tips. I agree. I think as far as learning the gear, single ply is easier to learn. However, some people dive into the double ply stuff and do just fine. Either way, I'd say look @ the Metal products on www.elitefts.com and give Jim or Matt a call and explain your situation and they'll help you make a decision on a suit/shirt that's right for you.

Lones Green
05-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Good tips. I agree. I think as far as learning the gear, single ply is easier to learn. However, some people dive into the double ply stuff and do just fine. Either way, I'd say look @ the Metal products on www.elitefts.com and give Jim or Matt a call and explain your situation and they'll help you make a decision on a suit/shirt that's right for you.

tommy, i know you mentioned metal briefs before...should i look at those instead of the inzer ones? you said you had some real problems with those, if i remember correctly.

TommyBoy
05-17-2007, 12:24 AM
You mean the Inzer diapers? Yeah those are ****. Don't bother with them. Ask any metal user and they'll tell you the metal briefs are the best. In fact, like CR, you can use a poly metal brief and eventually add a canvas suit, which seems to be a killer combo. Or, you can use the metal viking briefs, which act similar to canvas, and put a poly suit over top of that.

Lones Green
05-17-2007, 01:36 AM
okay. so im looking at this site, i didn't know raw allowed you to wear a belt, knee, and wrist wraps. are you allowed to wear briefs for a raw squat, or is that considered equipped?

WillKuenzel
05-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Briefs are considered equipped.

Lones Green
05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Briefs are considered equipped.

thanks HomeYield. i think for now i am just gonna get a belt and knee wraps, and learn to use those before i invest in a squat suit, or even briefs.

Guido
05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
thanks for the advice. its been really hard doing this on my own, the only other person i have is my best friend (who does crossfit) to spot me if i need it. there are literally NO powerlifters in knoxville. i've talked to J.T. Hall through myspace, who is from TN but now lives in kentucky...and he knows of no powerlifting gyms or powerlifters in knoxville. i've also talked to Jesse Rodgers, who is a big shot in southern powerlifting, he does all the promotion and puts on all the meets. thats why i have been relying on PLers on this board so heavily, i really don't have anyone else to go to for advice. there is a meet june 16th about 45 minutes away from me i'm definetely going to attend, i guess my best chance would be seeing if i could find some guys there who live relatively close to me, and make the voyage to lift with them once a week, or something like that. it's going to be weird walking up to some random dudes i've never met before and asking if i can lift with them, haha. oh well, i'll make due with what i have.I don't know of any powerlifters in Knoxville, per say, but I do know of quite a few WABDL lifters in TN. In fact, they do a TN state meet there every year (usually in August or September). Ken Millrany is the state chairman. I think he lives in Manchester, TN, or thereabouts. Perhaps you could check it out and find some WABDL meets in your area.

Chris Rodgers
05-17-2007, 03:28 PM
thanks HomeYield. i think for now i am just gonna get a belt and knee wraps, and learn to use those before i invest in a squat suit, or even briefs.

That's a good idea. My first meet I squatted in a belt and knee wraps. Next time I squatted in a single-ply Inzer suit. It wasn't until about 9 months later until I added a pair of briefs under that. :thumbup:

Lones Green
05-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't know of any powerlifters in Knoxville, per say, but I do know of quite a few WABDL lifters in TN. In fact, they do a TN state meet there every year (usually in August or September). Ken Millrany is the state chairman. I think he lives in Manchester, TN, or thereabouts. Perhaps you could check it out and find some WABDL meets in your area.

yeah guido, i saw a meet in manchester TN on powerlifting watch. its about 4 hours away from me, but hey, if thats the trek i gotta make i'm cool with it.

Lones Green
05-17-2007, 05:28 PM
That's a good idea. My first meet I squatted in a belt and knee wraps. Next time I squatted in a single-ply Inzer suit. It wasn't until about 9 months later until I added a pair of briefs under that. :thumbup:

sweet. thanks for all your help man, i'd be lost without you haha

TommyBoy
05-17-2007, 06:08 PM
I did the exact same thing.

Stumprrp
05-18-2007, 04:54 AM
Sounds like a good plan lones, id add wraps, then breifs, then a 1 ply suit. its as much as i would ever use anyways IMO.