PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on diet and supplements please?

BigBossMan
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Okay I finally finished my diet. I have decided to cut and get down below 10% BF and then go on a slow clean bulk.

I am 26 6ft and 177lbs
approxiametely 20%BF according to calipers(not really sure if I am using them right)

Here is my Diet that I will be eating every Day.

Breakfast
1 'organic' egg
.75 cup egg whites

Shake:
1cup organic carrot juice
1tbsp wheat germ oil
1 'organic' raw egg
1 cup skim milk

Totals:
Calories: 520
Fat:25
Carb:37
Prot:35

Snack:
1cup plain nonfat yogurt

Totals:
Calories:137
Fat:0
Carb:19
Prot:14

Pre-Workout:
2 raw apples

Totals:
Calories:14
Fat:0
Carb:38
Prot:0

Post Workout Shake:
2scoops Whey protein
1/3 cup dextrose
2tbsp olive oil

Totals:
Calories:792
Fat:29
Carb:85
Prot:48

Lunch:
1 Cup Lentils Cooked
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

Totals:
Calories:349
Fat:15
Carb:40
Prot:18

Snack:
1cup celery
5Tbsp Hummus

Totals:
Calories:147
Fat:6
Carb:19
Prot:5

Dinner:
2slices sprouted wheat bread
4tbsp natty peanut butter

Totals:
Calories: 415
Fat: 35
Carb: 37
Prot:21

Before Bed:
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese

Totals:
Calories: 164
Fat: 2
Carb: 6
Prot: 28

Grand Totals:

grams cals %total

Total: 2830

Fat: 115 1036 38%
Sat: 22 199 7%
Poly: 28 255 9%
Mono: 56 508 19%

Carbs: 290 1006 37%

Fiber: 38 0 0%

Protein: 174 694 25%

Supplements:
Creatine Monohydrate
Multi-plus
ETS
Fish Oil
2000mg Vitamin C
Lots of green tea
64oz+water daily

For the first two week I will be lifting 5days a week no longer than 60mins in the gym. I will be running between 1.5-3 miles a day to get back in shape. After that, I will switch to HIIT cardio. I am going to track weight daily and if I am not losing any/enough I will drop cals by 250 and go from there.

seK
05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Do you have a specific question or are you just asking for an general opinion on your diet?

BigBossMan
05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Do you have a specific question or are you just asking for an general opinion on your diet?

Yeah just Opinions/Suggestions to improve etc...

I was also wondering when the best time to take creatine is....I have heard conflicting reports but most that I have read stated post workout

Thanks very much for any advice/help given

<BBM>

Mr. D
05-17-2007, 03:42 PM
2800 cals for your size might be a bit high for you to cut on, considering your BF% and weight.

That sounds more like maintence or even 10-20% more.

Vapour Trails
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
This is a cutting diet?? You are most likely over maintenance.

BigBossMan
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Okay I took out 1 apple and a tablespoon of olive oil and I got it down to 2637.

I don't know if that body fat % is right for me though the more I look at the pics of people at 20% I am really thin......Thin legs thin long arms. The only place that I collect fat is in the stomach but you can see my upper abdominal muscles not defined or anything but the first four of the six pack are slightly visible. LOL. and slight love handles.... I am thinking about keeping it at 2637 for now and just check the scale....

What is the ideal amount of weight to lose with losing minimal LBM....does anyone know?

Mr. D
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
about 1lb every 10 days.

Mr. D
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Even with your updated diet, 2637 might be a bit high. Personally I think your carbs are too high and your protein too low. Fats are at a good level.

Have you been bulking to this point?If so, why dont you eat maintence for 2 weeks and then figure out what that is and take 20% off of that for your cutting cals.

Unreal
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
You have 2 apples listed as 14 cals. I assume that is a typo and it is 140 cals.

Apples contain fructose which isn't good for preworkout. Fructose fills liver glycogen and not muscle. You want some to fuel your workout. Depending on how far ahead you eat before working out, I would eat some oats, or if it is closer dextrose.

Overall, up protein, drop carbs IMO.

Mr. D
05-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Actually fructose before WO isnt that bad an idea. Lyle McD recommends 25-30g of fruit carbs and 15g whey 30 minutes before a workout.

BigBossMan
05-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah that was I typo sorry it was supposed to 148....

I calculated protein at 1.14g per lb of lean muscle....which came out to 161g per day. But now I am not sure if I am really a 20%BF how accurate are calipers in measuring body fat....What if the only fat that you collect on your body is on your stomach.LOL. doesn't seem like that would be very accurate at determining overall bodyfat %...

I am not getting any of my protein from meat sources... should that concern me at all...is there any vital nutrients that I might be lacking?

I can easily up the protein that is not a problem at all.....I read somewhere on here that protien derived from plant sources ought not count towards overall protein. Does that mean the protein from the lentils doesn't count?

Thanks everyone for your help it is really appreciated. I like to be really thorough with this becuase if I am going to spend all this time in the gym I want to make sure I am optimizing my results. Know what I mean?

BigBossMan
05-18-2007, 02:12 PM
One more thing sorry

How do my carbs look i know that I need to get more prot and less carbs but....my goal was to get every carb below 50 on the Glycemic Index so my diet is real clean...they say that low is anything below 70 but I wanted to make sure my carbs were real clean.

The Carrot Juice seems really sweet to be low on the GI though. Should I substitute with something different?

Thanks again

sharkall2003
05-18-2007, 02:21 PM
I've read a few things that read meat helps with iron levels, is good for the immune system and is chuck full of other nutritious things. Let me find some links.

BigBossMan
05-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Have you been bulking to this point?If so, why dont you eat maintence for 2 weeks and then figure out what that is and take 20% off of that for your cutting cals.[/QUOTE]

If you call sitting on your butt eating everything in sight bulking then yes LOL....before this at least 6mos of couch potatoein it. I work at a desk and get home late and sit on my butt and watch tv go to sleep and then do it all over...I was eating garbage everything and anything HIGH sugars just trash food most of the time fast food you name it lots of SAT fat for the past six months easily 3k-4k a day and gained maybe 10lbs of fat during that time. I think I have a pretty good metabolism I have never been able to gain weight really easy.....until I started drinking lots of beer then I got up almost to 200. I just started eating healthier not necessarily less and drank just as much and got back to 160 so I think my metabolism is pretty good especially for someone who does cpu work all day.

I am not sure what maintainance is for me but I am now tracking it on fit day so I will find out soon....and as soon as I do I will do like you say and decrease maintainance by 20% and see where things go from there.

Mr. D
05-18-2007, 02:24 PM
One more thing sorry

How do my carbs look i know that I need to get more prot and less carbs but....my goal was to get every carb below 50 on the Glycemic Index so my diet is real clean...they say that low is anything below 70 but I wanted to make sure my carbs were real clean.

The Carrot Juice seems really sweet to be low on the GI though. Should I substitute with something different?

Thanks again

GI isnt really that relevant when combined with other food. With that in mind, your dextrose PWO is a great idea, though i would the olive oil out of that meal and move it elsewhere.

Well eggs is a "meat" source, but you could definitely add more lean chicken/turkey. Are you a vegetarian?

sharkall2003
05-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Well eggs is a "meat" source, but you could definitely add more lean chicken/turkey. Are you a vegetarian?

Eggs is a meat source? Since when? Is cheese? They both come from mammals.

The benefits of red meat are: higher zinc count, higher iron count, high amount of protein. You want to only eat lean cuts (sirloin no more than 6oz, tenderloin, and then stick with fish, chicken (skinless, boneless), and fish oils)

Mr. D
05-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Eggs is a meat source? Since when? Is cheese? They both come from mammals.

The benefits of red meat are: higher zinc count, higher iron count, high amount of protein. You want to only eat lean cuts (sirloin no more than 6oz, tenderloin, and then stick with fish, chicken (skinless, boneless), and fish oils)

A lacto vegetarian eats dairy products but not eggs and of course no animal flesh or seafood. They view eggs as "meat".

An ovo-lacto vegetarian eats both dairy and eggs but no animal flesh or seafood.

BigBossMan
05-18-2007, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Well eggs is a "meat" source, but you could definitely add more lean chicken/turkey. Are you a vegetarian?[/QUOTE]

Yes an ovo-lacto vegetarian exactly....that is why I was curious if maybe too much of my protein is casein and should perhaps supplement with something

BigBossMan
05-18-2007, 03:33 PM
hmmm....can't seem to get the qoute thing figured out

sharkall2003
05-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Yes an ovo-lacto vegetarian exactly....that is why I was curious if maybe too much of my protein is casein and should perhaps supplement with something

Whey is a good supplement. Not very expensive and it will give you a very good protein to calorie ratio.

Mr. D
05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Eat more cottage cheese. Add another meal of eggs in the day, like an egg salad or something.

smalls
05-18-2007, 05:04 PM
At the end of the day your going to have to adjust the diet based on your bodies response to it, not our response to it. Getting suggestions is great, but overall, and especially in response to what you have recently been eating your diet looks fine. Just track progress and be prepared to drop cals as you go along.