PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit Journal

Sensei
05-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I didn't want to start a brand new thread for this but Anthony (or anyone else who subscribes):

I'm pretty interested in subscribing to the Crossfit Journal - it looks like a great publication. Are there specific back issues that you would recommend to PLers, or high-school coaches, or just issues that you think are particularly good?

I can't afford to get all of them even though I'd like to, but I'd like your input. Thanks.

Boris

Bob
05-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Sensei coming to the darkside... lol

I've had a subscription for the last year Sensei... I recommend all of them... lol.. but let me check thru them and get back to ya...

Sensei
05-19-2007, 08:47 AM
I've always liked CrossFit. You sure as hell won't see me doing the WoDs anytime soon though!!!!

I was looking through some of the articles they had at the site though and was really impressed. I'd be interested in kettlebell stuff too, of course.

Thanks Bear (et. al).

Boris

edit: Oh, and swimming articles too. I was pretty impressed w. the beginnings of that article on breathing. I had, honestly, never ever thought about the complexity of it that way before, despite 20+ years of competitive swimming and coaching... Shows that it still pays to have the "beginner's mind"...

Anthony
05-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Sensei, I have all of them from start and there are quite a few articles on the subjects you mentioned. If I have time this weekend I'll go through and list the issues for you.

HOWEVER, they also have a journal index ... it might help you narrow it down sooner than I'll be able to address it.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/cfjindex.html

Sensei
05-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks Anthony - I couldn't find that and was wondering why they didn't have one... I won't need as much help then, but if you know any CAN'T MISS journals, I'd like to hear your input.

Thanks again.

Anthony
05-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Can't miss ... that's tough Sensei. I'm looking at them right now and I'd probably end up listing 95% of them. :p I know that's not what you want to hear, but I've honestly enjoyed every month thus far.

Off the top of my head, anything with the military austere programs, anything with squat, deadlift, press, clean & jerk, snatch, muscleup, the power analysis of Fran, the theoretical template, the garage gym 1 & 2, any of the "what is fitness, what is crossfit, what is cardio" but I think those ones are free anyway. Actually, go thru the list and download all the free articles first.

Have fun! :)

ericg
05-22-2007, 08:32 AM
The journals are very interesting for sure. I've read most of them and can say that something was gained from each one. Really good stuff.

I also enjoying reading performance menu (http://www.performancemenu.com/).

Bob
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks Eric for that link... that seems to be a good journal too.. they even have articles by Dan John, BJ Penn, Greg Everett from Mike's Gym and others... they almost seem to be an off-shoot from Crossfit?? Interesting...

Sensei
05-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I ended up subscribing today! If you have an interest in S&C or GPP, definately worth a look-see.

Maki Riddington
05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm gonna subscribe tonight once I get home from work.

ddegroff
05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
That seems like such a good deal.

$25 a year aint bad at all, for all that great info.

Sensei
05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree. Some of the authors are VERY respected.

To be honest, I was surprised to read that excerpt of an article by Terry Laughlin, a swimming coach. He wrote Total Immersion which is a book that targets Masters swimmers. The first time I read Total Immersion and watched a video he produced, I thought "I do all that stuff anyway", but when I reread and rewatched them from a coach's perspective, I was blown away. He does an amazing job of breaking down the skills that a good swimmer does intuitively.

With coaches like that as writers, it is worth MANY TIMES more than what they're charging. Don't tell them that though...

Anthony
05-23-2007, 07:05 AM
bear: The Performance Menu crew are regular contributors on the CF forums ... tight family there.

Sensei: Terry's Total Immersion stuff is unbelievable. Jodi bought me the DVD and I was blown away when I watched it.

And I agree, $2 per issue is a crazy cheap price - I can barely get a local paper for that price.

Sensei
05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
And I agree, $2 per issue is a crazy cheap price - I can barely get a local paper for that price.I hate to sound like I'm selling the Crossfit Journal (I'm not btw), but it's A LOT more fun to read and more informative than the NSCA S&C Journal (which is absolutely ridiculously priced).

Maki Riddington
05-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Just subscribed. I'll be waiting by my mail box to recieve my first copy.:)

ericg
05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks Eric for that link... that seems to be a good journal too.. they even have articles by Dan John, BJ Penn, Greg Everett from Mike's Gym and others... they almost seem to be an off-shoot from Crossfit?? Interesting...

You can get a free issue of your choice sent to you.

Like Anthony said, CF and PM are very tight.