PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique This Diet

Leviathan
05-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I posted this a couple weeks ago, but got no response. I've made a few adjustments since then. The goal of this diet is a relatively slow cut (i.e. 1lb./week). I'm increasing HIIT cardio to 3 times/week (from once/week), with Muay Thai/Jiu-Jitsu/MMA training on alternating days. Lifting in the morning, cardio in the evening. Maintenance calories are around 3,550 kcal. Current weight is 235lbs., height is 6'1", age is 26 years old, bodyfat % is around 12-13%. Goal for this cut is 215lbs. at around 9-10%. Diet is in an Excel document attached, makes it easier than reformatting for the web.

Thanks!

Built
05-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Glutamine: waste of money
ALA - looked promising, didn't pan out in practice. Ditch.
Udos - balanced oil. I avoid it for this reason. Stick to fish oil, 10g daily
Coconut oil - just get a can of coconut milk and blend it into your shake. Tastier. It's a good source of healthy fat, but so are lots of other foods. MCT is overrated, for what it's worth. Not useless, but overrated. Coconut oil IS good for frying in, though - nice and stable at high heats.
Your spreadsheet is comprehensive, but hard to read. And the percentages mean nothing; just the calories and the grams.

Proflex is glucosamine and MSM, right? That's a good combo. Better than glucosamine and chondroitin, from what I've read.

How's your fibre on this diet?

Leviathan
05-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Edited spreadsheet attached. No more glutamine. Replaced Udo's oil with another tablespoon of natty pb. Read your article on balancing fats, how's it look? Getting 12g of Fish Oil/day.

Not too sure about the fiber, what are your thoughts? What should I be aiming for? I have the oats and brown rice, the Ny-Tro Pro 40 has 5g dietary fiber, and the Prolab MRP has 4g dietary fiber.

Proflex is glucosamine/chondroitin, but i'm finishing out the bottle, and am starting on Joint Boost (which does have MSM) next week.

Not afraid of the carbs, but coconut milk adds some extra carbs, and I already have quite a few carbs in that last meal, so would adding more be a detriment? What's a better source of saturated fats? And on that note, how's the timing look? I'm a bit worried that my last two meals after cardio are liquid meals mainly - would you switch this up?

Thanks.

Built
05-19-2007, 11:36 AM
25g of fiber is a good goalpost to shoot at.

No reason to avoid carbs if you want them. Nothing wrong with coconut oil either. You can use it to fry your meat in if you like - it's really good for that. Personally I eat butter, because I like the taste.

Okay, I'm going in... stand by ...

Built
05-19-2007, 11:39 AM
No carbs post workout except the banana?

Why so much carb in the AM when you train in the afternoon?

Leviathan
05-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I lift in the morning; do cardio in the afternoon. What do you suggest adding with the banana (or replacing it) to increase post-cardio carbs?

Leviathan
05-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Just calculated it... should be getting a bit over 25g Fiber with diet as is.

Built
05-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Ahhhh... gotcha. I'll look again.

Sec.

Built
05-19-2007, 11:45 AM
What kind of cardio do you do in the afternoon?

Leviathan
05-19-2007, 11:46 AM
HIIT 3X per week... muay thai/jiu-jitsu/mixed martial arts on non-HIIT days

Built
05-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Okay. Maybe do the banana before (it has potassium, that can help you) and if you can spare the calories, some carb after you do this type of training. Maybe move most of the carbs from the noon meal to the post-cardio meal?

Leviathan
05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok great, editing now... i'll post revised in a few minutes... in a more readable format (i hope).

Leviathan
05-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Ok... adding pre-cardio and post-workout whey/dextrose wasn't working out calories-wise, so i put the whey/banana combination as the pre-cardio meal, and upped the carbs in the final meal, which could serve as the post-cardio meal. I know that the fat in the post-cardio meal will slow digestion, but couldn't really figure out a way around this. What do you think?

Thanks.

ddegroff
05-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Why not just eat those tbsp of natty pb throughout the day? Instead of haveing it in your shake post workout (assuming thats what you do). Or you could drink the shake then a while later eat the natty pb.

In the long run it probably doesn't matter.

ps- if you increase the size of the text, it makes it a lot easier to read (size 7 vs size 10).

Built
05-20-2007, 06:27 PM
If you like the taste of butter, sub a tablespoon of butter for the coconut oil and melt it with the pb. Drizzle over the veggies for your mid-day meal. To DIE for, especially with lots of salt gaaaaahh! :drooling:

Leviathan
05-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I know... sorry for the small font. I guess I take my good eyesight for granted. The reason why I didn't move the peanut butter (read: fat) in my post-cardio shake was because it was my last meal, so I wanted some fat in that meal to slow digestion through the night. Since I'm doing two-a-days (lifting in the morning, cardio at night), it's a bit difficult to get everything timed perfectly.

Built - thanks for the advice, but salt(?)... isn't that a bunch of extra sodium, which, in turn, will increase water retention... or is that no big deal?

Thanks.

Built
05-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Water isn't fat.

:)

Leviathan
05-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Water isn't fat.

:)

True, but it looks like fat. :D

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
True, but it looks like fat. :DHuh?

*thinks*

Oh, now I know what you mean. "Bloat" ;)

Leviathan
05-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Oh, now I know what you mean. "Bloat" ;)

Bingo.