PDA

View Full Version : Head position on bench

JustinASU
05-19-2007, 03:07 PM
When I'm benching with a good arch, I tend to hold my head up off the bench. I'm very focused on pinching my shoulder blades together and getting my upper back as tight as possible. Is there any danger in keeping my head off the bench? Before I even benched with an arch, I had my back flat and head on the bench. It just sorta happened as I got heavier using an arch and leg drive.

rmccray
05-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I.M.O
you should keep your head on the bench and try to push through the bench

drew
05-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Listen to Rob = bench more weight.

Keep your head on the bench.

smokinHawk
05-19-2007, 10:05 PM
first off check with the federations rules (if for contest bench) as some allow you to lift it and some dont
next are you lifting with a shirt? MM states that you can get lighter weight to touch by lifting your head off the bench (i have not done this though)

next as long as its ok in the rules of the federation, or your just benching for yourself there is no harm in lifting your head as long as your confortable with it as i now alot of guys who do this, personally i like to keep my head planted when maxing out, but theres nothing wrong with lifting it.

vdizenzo
05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
There is actually a reflex with pushing your head into the bench that makes you stronger. I'm not bright enough to be able to cite it, but it's true. Keep your head down.

RhodeHouse
05-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Head down. vdizenzo is a MM disciple, he NEVER lets us lift our heads up.

rmccray
05-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Head down. vdizenzo is a MM disciple, he NEVER lets us lift our heads up.

WORD it does not matter what the rules say or touching light weight
if you wanna be strong keep your head down

Clifford Gillmore
05-20-2007, 08:37 AM
There is actually a reflex with pushing your head into the bench that makes you stronger. I'm not bright enough to be able to cite it, but it's true. Keep your head down.

I'm not arguing, but I everything I've heard/read was about driving the traps/upper back into the bench. I'll have to try this next saturday and see if I'm stronger, I don't lift my head off but I do try to watch the bar as it comes down..

JustinASU
05-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try. Every time I tried to keep my head down in the past, my bench felt weaker, but I might be mind****ing myself.

I'll listen to the big boys and try to keep in down.

vdizenzo
05-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try. Every time I tried to keep my head down in the past, my bench felt weaker, but I might be mind****ing myself.

I'll listen to the big boys and try to keep in down.

It will feel weird the first couple of times but you will get used to it. Give it a chance for a few weeks.

Sleepy Guy
05-20-2007, 01:10 PM
I saw a guy once bench with only his feet and head touching. I almost pissed myself laughing but good news he got a really good arch out of it.