PDA

View Full Version : Chick peas rule

Dman
05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I have recently been eating a can of garbonza beans with basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Its delicious and nutritious: 24 g protein, 21 g fiber, and some good fats from the olive oil.

getfit
05-20-2007, 10:22 AM
chick peas rock!I eat all the time

orestes72
05-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Indeed, chick peas kick ass.. Recently I decided to pick up the dried chick peas to save cash (even though they're dirt cheap to begin with). The package says to soak overnight in cold water, but they don't seem to get that tender texture this way. Has anybody ever had success preparing dried garbanzos?

123 champ
05-20-2007, 02:47 PM
chick peas + seseame oil + lemon + olive oil + garlic = mmmmm...... humus

getfit
05-20-2007, 02:50 PM
chick peas + seseame oil + lemon + olive oil + garlic = mmmmm...... humus

oh most definently!

VikingWarlord
05-20-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't think I've ever eaten chick peas, but they were the secret ingredient on Iron Chef America last night. :D

BigBossMan
05-24-2007, 03:29 PM
I have recently been eating a can of garbonza beans with basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Its delicious and nutritious: 24 g protein, 21 g fiber, and some good fats from the olive oil.

I was wondering if you could post the exact recipe for this.

I can't consume Garbanza beans unless they are in hummus form for some reason...but I wanted to try this. How much basil,olive oil, vinegar do you use. do you blend it or just eat the beans whole?

Thanks,

BBM

Mr. D
05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Have any of you ever had Channa Masala?

1. Basically you cook the soaked beans in a pressure cooker until beans are tender.
2. Cut onion, tomato and green chilli. Grind it in blender along with ginger and garlic and make paste.
3. Heat whichever oil you like to cook in (i use ghee) and fry bay leaves for 30 secs. add the paste and fry on medium heat until golden brown.
4.Add red chili powder, turmeric, coriander power, garam masala and salt. Mix and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add some water to make thick a gravy and bring to boil.
6. Add the cooked beans along with the water it was cooked in and cook over medium heat until its not so runny.

Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot.

You can eat this with brown rice or pita bread or however fits your macros.

The quantities for the ingredients also depends on your macros.
I generally use 1/3 cup dry beans, 4 oz tomato,1-2 cloves garlic, 1 green chilli, 2 oz onion, small piece of ginger.

xraygirl
05-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Indeed, chick peas kick ass.. Recently I decided to pick up the dried chick peas to save cash (even though they're dirt cheap to begin with). The package says to soak overnight in cold water, but they don't seem to get that tender texture this way. Has anybody ever had success preparing dried garbanzos?
Take a tiny bowl and make a paste of about 1tbsp baking soda & water. Drop this in the bowl the chickpeas are soaking in and let that soak overnight.
Not canned chickpeas are a little bit firmer but they have a nuttier taste and the firm texture means that I put them in a bowl and much on them instead of something like chips.
When I was a kid, my grandmother used to mix them in a bowl w/ chopped avocado, garlic, salt&pepper and pour it over rice for my dinner.
ah...memories

Diana

moretolove
05-28-2007, 10:20 AM
That's def one of my favorite Indian dishes...y'all should try it at the Indian restaurants..delicioso!