PDA

View Full Version : Am I running too much?

Jonezy
05-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey guys,
I`m in the middle of a cut right now, so far seeing decent results, 6lbs gone in a month without any strength loss that I have noticed. Anyways, I was told that I may be running TOO much and it could be detrimental to my cut. Currently I`m running monday-friday, 30 minutes. I go 8 mph for the first 27 minutes, and 10 mph for the last 3 minutes, which works out to be 4.07 miles. I just read up on HIIT training, and it got me wondering if that would be a better route to take. What do you guys think? Also if I was to switch over to HIIT training, it only recommends to do it 2-3 times a week, but if I happened to do it 4-5 times a week, would that also be detrimental? Thanks for your help!

seK
05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
You really can't "run too much" personally I do some cardio, but its mostly sports related and I substitute it with added calories in my diet. If you want to run farther faster than you will need to run, it's not an ideal method for cutting though. As for the LBM loss you just have to look at it logically, your body wants to increase your endurance and to do so it is going to try and make you lighter and one of the easiest methods of doing this is it to drop unused LBM especially if you are not taking in enough calories to support it in the first place. If you are going to continue to run while you cut weight then you need to work on your diet and find that delicate balance where you are taking in enough calories to support your running and LBM which you should be working with a proper routine.
In short, switch to HIIT, increase your calories on the days you do it and watch that your loss doesn’t exceed 1-2lbs a week (this is also dependent on the experience of the person involved a beginner will find they will lose more than this initial with water weight ect.)

caca
05-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I dont see why it would be too much, unless you start seeing negative effects of it

ddegroff
05-20-2007, 05:45 PM
If you do HIIT the way you're supposed too, you will only want to do it 2-3times per week.

Like seK said all you have to do is adjust your cals accordingly.