PDA

View Full Version : Knee pain, maybe time to start wrapping?

Jinkies
05-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I really don't know much about the mechanics about wrapping knees except that it's what we did in school in powerlifting meets.

I''ve heard of people using knee wraps regularly on squat days if they work with heavy weight. Maybe I should give it a try? Looking to get opinions from other veteren squatters who can suggest any ideas or list the benefits of it.

TommyBoy
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Honestly, I hate knee wraps. I only used them in powerlifting competitions. They don't make your knees any stronger.

Jinkies
05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't really care much for them myself but I've seen many others train with em and I know ronnie coleman works with them.

Wanna make sure its neccesary before i drop the cash for em

TommyBoy
05-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Ronnie Coleman does a lot of things....you don't need wraps unless you plan on competing in powerlifting.

Chubrock
05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Thought you were taking a break?

vdizenzo
05-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I always liked wrapping my knees. When I used to squat in competitions we would get more out of wraps than the single ply suits we used. Squat briefs really were not around yet either. It's like anything else, try it and see what you think. I mean, I wrap my wrists with 135 on bench, so I don't see why wrapping knees are that much different.

Jinkies
05-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Thought you were taking a break?

I never said I was going to stop squatting.

Jinkies
05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm not really looking for any added advantage even though there are some apparent ones; i'm more so looking at a way to keep my knees tight and where they should be so I don't have any injuries

Chris Rodgers
05-24-2007, 08:21 PM
I always liked wrapping my knees. When I used to squat in competitions we would get more out of wraps than the single ply suits we used. Squat briefs really were not around yet either. It's like anything else, try it and see what you think. I mean, I wrap my wrists with 135 on bench, so I don't see why wrapping knees are that much different.

Actually it would be more like wrapping your elbows to bench right?

Either way, I'd get them and try them. I use them often in training. I get a lot of poundage out of them and they save me from a lot of knee pain. :strong:

smokinHawk
05-25-2007, 06:34 AM
i use neoprene slip ons, they apply just enough pressure on my knees so i dont hurt them. plus there easy to put on. no real poundage increase.
i also just started using some inzer wraps for when i try for a PR helps maybe 5-10lbs

Sensei
05-25-2007, 06:55 AM
i use neoprene slip ons, they apply just enough pressure on my knees so i dont hurt them. plus there easy to put on. no real poundage increase.I think the neoprene wrap is a good idea if you are just looking to add some warmth and support.

i also just started using some inzer wraps for when i try for a PR helps maybe 5-10lbs5-10lbs??? Either those are pretty crappy wraps or you haven't figured out how to use them yet.

smokinHawk
05-25-2007, 08:11 AM
5-10lbs??? Either those are pretty crappy wraps or you haven't figured out how to use them yet.
alot has to do with my back stregth as i dont have a strong enough back for the heavier weight. I can do 10 reps of 280atf, but have only gotten 335x1 :( as my back doesnt have enough pull through to keep it up and straight..

Paul Stagg
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
I would not suggest regularly using knee wraps for squatting. For the occasional 1rm test and competition, certainly. But not every day.

You need to build the connective tissue and muscle around the knee, and using wraps will not allow that to happen.

I'm going to tell you, yet again, if you are in pain, go see a doctor.

If you continue to post asking for ways around injury without fully disclosing the extent of your problems, I'm going to start deleting your posts. The people here are trying to help you, but are not medical professionals. You need a medical professional. Since that is the case, the advice you are given here may actually be harmful, because the people giving it do not have enough information.