PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol??? how bad is this stuff?

someoneunlikeyo
05-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I drink probably like 2 bottles of wine a week.

which is 69 grams of alcohol and 531 cals per bottle. how bad are these grams of alcohol??? its only 531 cals, which isnt too bad.

i dont wanna give up my alcohol...

Stray
05-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Grams of alcohol? :confused:

Do a search and you'll find a hundred threads on the topic - but basically it's not the calories or carbs that negatively effect you it's the alcohol's effects on the body.

Everything in moderation.

Mercuryblade
05-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Grams of alcohol?
Everything has mass.

Moderation is the key, you'll get people on this board saying "No no no no, you'll hinder your gains," but is that extra 1% worth completely giving up a nice glass of cab? for me the answer is no.

TheGimp
05-25-2007, 06:50 AM
i dont wanna give up my alcohol...

Then don't!

2 bottle of wine a week is nothing.

But consider also the fact that you're not the first aspiring body builder to have ever considered the impact of alcohol consumption and that we have a nice search feature on these forums.

Rusty
05-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Everything has mass.

A photon doesn't!

Drink moderately and you'll be fine.

kique
05-25-2007, 07:48 AM
drink ur liquor be social and happy man, but make sure u take some vitamins the day after to try and get ur system back up n running :)

BigBossMan
05-25-2007, 10:01 AM
I think it depends on how much you drink when you drink.
I used to drink..........until about august last year.....I didn't drink alot maybe once every 2/3 weeks or so. When I did drink i DRANK...I like whiskey...Jim Bean/evan williams....my favorite. I went to the doc and got some blood work done becuase I was feeling a little weird all the time. It came back and this was after not drinking for a week and I had almost no free testosterone. The doc says that drinking really lowers your testosterone and thought this was causing me to fill malaise and just bummed all the time. He offered to give me some testosterone pills but said he was pretty sure that it would go back to normal if I stopped drinking. He also offered me a shot that they give to alcoholics to make them quit drinking LOL. I told him I wasn't an alcoholic just like to get drunk! I quit drinking and went back and got some blood work done about a month ago and my testosterone levels were back to normal. I don't about you but testosterone is a pretty important thing for me to have. Especially if I am trying to pack on some muscle. I would say if you are really serious about getting big don't drink and if you are willing to sacrifice maximum gains keep drinking. Its up to you.

Alex.V
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
A photon doesn't!

Drink moderately and you'll be fine.

Yes it does. Relativistic mass. :D

btw, some wine won't kill ya.

And if you really feel the need to be UBER ULTRA HARDCORE SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING BIGG!!!!!1111one!, then cut it down to one bottle of wine a week and eat some extra steak.

Beast
05-25-2007, 11:38 AM
How are you drinking your wine throughout the week? Are we talking like 2 glasses a day or do you drink it all at once on the weekends?

Check it out:

A four-ounce glass of wine is equivalent to one serving. Men will benefit from consuming one to two servings per day. Women should consume only one serving per day to reap the maximum benefits. This is not to say that you should start drinking alcohol if you presently do not. Occasional or binge drinkers have higher mortality rates than those who drink moderately on a regular basis. In those who consume three or more drinks per day, there is an increased risk for elevated serum triglycerides (fat in the bloodstream). Long-term, excessive alcohol consumption can damage nerve cells, the liver and the pancreas. Heavy drinkers are also at risk for malnutrition, as alcohol may substitute for more nutritious foods.
http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/red_wine.html

Mad Martigan
05-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I used to drink..........until about august last year.....I didn't drink alot maybe once every 2/3 weeks or so. When I did drink i DRANK...I like whiskey...Jim Bean/evan williams....my favorite. I went to the doc and got some blood work done becuase I was feeling a little weird all the time. It came back and this was after not drinking for a week and I had almost no free testosterone. The doc says that drinking really lowers your testosterone and thought this was causing me to fill malaise and just bummed all the time. He offered to give me some testosterone pills but said he was pretty sure that it would go back to normal if I stopped drinking. He also offered me a shot that they give to alcoholics to make them quit drinking LOL. I told him I wasn't an alcoholic just like to get drunk! I quit drinking and went back and got some blood work done about a month ago and my testosterone levels were back to normal. I don't about you but testosterone is a pretty important thing for me to have. Especially if I am trying to pack on some muscle. I would say if you are really serious about getting big don't drink and if you are willing to sacrifice maximum gains keep drinking. Its up to you.

Weird. I used to drink a whole lot and I had plenty of testosterone for post drinking activities.

blackboard
05-25-2007, 02:13 PM

I think your situation isn't normal. I think you are in the same class of some person with kidney problems complaining about Creatine. I could be wrong.

I don't think the average male testosterone will shut down due to drinking moderate.

Mad Martigan
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
I think your situation isn't normal. I think you are in the same class of some person with kidney problems complaining about Creatine. I could be wrong.

I don't think the average male testosterone will shut down due to drinking moderate.

Well, I don't think he was talking about moderate drinking. :cool:

Rusty
05-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes it does. Relativistic mass. :D

I was referring to rest mass silly!

I haven't researched the effects of alcohol and free test. levels, but I've heard that the effect that alcohol has on your endochrine system will decrease testosterone production. I would assume that it is most prevalent with binge drinking. Again, moderation is key. :alcoholic

BigBossMan
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Weird. I used to drink a whole lot and I had plenty of testosterone for post drinking activities.

What do you mean post drinking activities. If you mean sex....having low testosterone didn't effect my sex life AT ALL....in fact it had very little side effects I just felt a little tired sometimes in the afternoon and had trouble getting out a bed in the morning but wasn't very noticable. But yeah my testosterone was LOW.

So just becuase you can get it up doesn't mean that you have high testosterone. I think most people my age can get it up regardless of testosterone levels. I could be wrong.

There is alot of documentation though on alcohol's effect on testosterone. My test results prove it.

[QUOTE=The effect of alcohol on testosterone could be one reason that people who drink a lot carry less muscle. In fact, a 1993 study shows that alcoholic men have bigger waists and smaller muscles than teetotalers.[QUOTE]

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-25-2007, 05:38 PM
How are you drinking your wine throughout the week? Are we talking like 2 glasses a day or do you drink it all at once on the weekends?

Check it out:

http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/red_wine.htmlSome of the benefits of wine (the grapes) are negated by the effects of the alcohol. It's not really the wine as a whole that's good for you.

Mad Martigan
05-25-2007, 05:52 PM
What do you mean post drinking activities. If you mean sex....having low testosterone didn't effect my sex life AT ALL....in fact it had very little side effects I just felt a little tired sometimes in the afternoon and had trouble getting out a bed in the morning but wasn't very noticable. But yeah my testosterone was LOW.

So just becuase you can get it up doesn't mean that you have high testosterone. I think most people my age can get it up regardless of testosterone levels. I could be wrong.

There is alot of documentation though on alcohol's effect on testosterone. My test results prove it.

A deficiency of sex hormone doesn't interfere with sexuality. Interesting stuff.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-25-2007, 07:08 PM
^^

Yes indeed. ;)

Beast
05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Some of the benefits of wine (the grapes) are negated by the effects of the alcohol. It's not really the wine as a whole that's good for you.
The whole thing is good for you. What negative effects are you talking about? A number of epidemiological studies have shown an inverse relationship between moderate ethanol consumption and heart disease. The polyphenols in red wine contribute to most of the cardiovascular protective effects, but the ethanol itself is actually good, too... of course, there is conflicting evidence on both sides, lol.

someoneunlikeyo
05-25-2007, 10:24 PM

ill drink usually like a whole bottle in one sitting with friends. have some hoots:smoke: and thats it. i read before that alcohol does wierd **** to the body though. that once you start drinking the body instantly stores the fat alcohol into fat and dosent burn it right away... its weird what i read but it sounded really bad.

After a night of drinking too; I'm horny as hell the whole night and especially the next day... i wonder why...

BigBossMan
05-27-2007, 08:58 PM
A deficiency of sex hormone doesn't interfere with sexuality. Interesting stuff.

Correct I am no doctor....I am only speaking from experience. The point I am trying to make is that basing your testosterone levels on the stiffness of your you know what is pretty naive.

I could be wrong the doctor did ask me if i had any trouble in the bedroom so maybe I was just a unique case..

there is plenty of evidence that proves alcohol reduces testosterone and here is just some of the many negative side effects to drinking.

Testosterone, which has a powerful fat loss effect, is reduced whenever alcohol is consumed, thus halting its full potential as a fat burner. Also, testosterone as an anabolic hormone, contributes to gains in lean muscle mass. Lowered testosterone means fewer muscle gains, and less muscle means a lowered metabolic rate.

A lower metabolic rate will make the job of losing fat all the more harder, as this is what governs the way we use energy. Those with a higher metabolic rate will burn more calories at rest. By interfering with testosterone production, alcohol indirectly causes the body to lower its metabolic rate (and thus the rate at which it uses energy) and directly prohibits testosterone from exerting its powerful fat burning effects.

Elgordo
05-30-2007, 06:42 PM
when you ingest alcohol your liver goes to breaking down the alcohol because your body sees it as a toxin and what's to get rid of it, this stops the process of breaking down your protein and carbs. It screws you over

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-30-2007, 10:34 PM
The whole thing is good for you. What negative effects are you talking about? A number of epidemiological studies have shown an inverse relationship between moderate ethanol consumption and heart disease. The polyphenols in red wine contribute to most of the cardiovascular protective effects, but the ethanol itself is actually good, too... of course, there is conflicting evidence on both sides, lol.
Alcohol and Heart Disease

One to two standard drinks of alcoholic beverages a day are credited with reducing the risk of death from heart disease in people over 60 years old who have an increased risk of heart disease. Increasing alcohol beyond this point increases the risk of heart disease substantially. Wine is often credited with aiding heart health, but research indicates that even beer may reduce heart attack risk in some populations.

Though many studies support a beneficial effect of moderate alcohol intake on heart health, the matter is not yet settled. Researchers followed the alcohol intakes of health histories of almost 6,000 men for over 20 years. The results showed no beneficial relationship between mortality from cardiovascular disease and any level of alcohol consumption. The study did show an increased risk of death from all causes with more than 22 drinks per week and that men drinking more than 35 drinks a week had double the mortality from stroke compared with nondrinkers. Strokes are associated with elevated blood pressure, and heavy alcohol intake is know to increase both.

The Health Effects of Wine

Red wine has been credited with special health-supporting properties, and recently, white wine has won attention for an antioxidant effect. The following two statements concerning wine and health have been approved to appear on U.S. wine labels:

* "The proud people who made this wine encourage you to consult your family doctor about the health effects of wine consumption."
* "To learn the health effects of wine consumption, send for the Federal Government's Dietary Guidelines for Americans, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, USDA, 1120 20th Street, NW, Washington DC 20036 or visit its website."

These statements seem to promise good news about wine and health may await the information seeker, but the science on wine and health is mixed. For example, the high potassium content of grape juice may lower high blood pressure, and potassium persists when the grape juice is made into wine. Since alcohol in large amounts raises blood pressure, however, the grape juice may be more suitable than the wine for people with hypertension. Dealcoholized wine also facilitates the absorption of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc. So does wine, but the alcohol in it promotes the quick excretion of these minerals, so the dealcoholized wine is preferred.

In addition to alcohol, wine contains flavanoids that are under study as protectors against events that are that to trigger heart disease. An antioxidant effect of flavanoids in wine has been offered as an explanation for why wine-drinking French and other Mediterranean peoples have a lower incidence of heart disease despite having many risk factors. Compared with other food sources such as onions or other vegetables, though, wine may deliver only small amounts of antioxidant flavanoids to the body. In addition, alcohol itself increases oxidation in the body.

Furthermore, recent evidence calls into question whether heart protection from antioxidants is at work. In a study of mice genetically prone to develop heart-damaging changes leading to heart disease, dealcoholized red wine effectively reduced the changes without reducing oxidation. Dealcoholized wine, purple grape juice, and the grapes themselves contain phytochemicals similar to those of wine, but without the potential dangers of alcohol.

...I think the entire point was moderation. The only issue really lies in overdoing it. But we already know that.