PDA

View Full Version : Squat Help

Bako Lifter
05-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey guys, I need some help. Right now I'm on a 4-day split consisting of an ME bench, ME Squat, speed or assistance bench, and assistance squat.

I'm a little guy, 150 lbs, and I'm proud of my bench numbers and am happy with the fast/steady progress I have been making. Imo, I have my 2 bench days all figured out, at least to the point where I can see my weaknesses and fix them. I go into the gym and know exactly what I'm going to do, what lifts do what, etc.

The problem I'm having is with my squat. It pretty much sucks for my standards, especially compared to my upper strength. Unlike my upper days, I always walk into the gym on a squat day and don't know what to do. Should I squat? Or maybe box squat, or not even squat at all and do some good mornings? But wait, I don't even know how to do a GM! Soooo, after a couple of months (years actually) of my legs lagging behind my bench no matter what I do, I need some advice.

Can somebody give me an ME workout and a DE workout I can use twice a week? I'm a powerlifter, so I want a powerlifting style workout. My weakness is in the bottom of my squat. I don't really know what other info to give. Can one of you insane PLers hook me up with a workout? Or at least some advice?

Thanks a lot,
Bako

p.s. I don't have a rev. hyper or GHR, only raw for the time being too.

Lones Green
05-25-2007, 11:43 PM
if i were you i'd get a broomstick and practice your form. ask everyone who you think is knowledgeable about squat form about the form you are using. post a video on here. westside says do all box squats...on ME day squat hard and heavy, and on assistance go for speed. if your weakness is in the bottom of your squat, try rack squats. louie simmons says not to work your quads extremely hard, but to work your hip area to build squat strength. we all have weaknesses, and a not so satisfying squat could be yours. keep eating, reading, asking questions, and lifting heavy man. the way i learned to do good mornings is i basically mimicked HeavyBomber's form on one of his videos (500ish GM's)...i know he recently deleted all his, so it might not be there. personally i don't have or know of any videos of good morning form, i'm sure someone on here does, and would be happy to assist you.

Sensei
05-26-2007, 06:45 AM
I think if you want to improve your squat, at your level, you need to squat. Assistance exercises are great, but they are just that - 'assistance' exercises. Spend most of your time squatting.

GMs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ls4pTpgea8

Stumprrp
05-26-2007, 06:56 AM
sensei is right, do squats majority of the time, add bands and chains if you can, and box squats are outstanding if you sit way back and pause on the box. For assistance, hit your hamstrings, obliques, abs, and lower back, dont worry to much about the quads you can add some front squats or zerchers if you wish.

RedSpikeyThing
05-26-2007, 09:01 AM
I think if you want to improve your squat, at your level, you need to squat. Assistance exercises are great, but they are just that - 'assistance' exercises. Spend most of your time squatting.

I agree. I've been following the Westside template, but doing the main lifts on DE day to get more reps in. I find that using a light weight allows me to concentrate on form instead of going "oh **** that's heavy".

amw308
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
If you are going to use a Westside template you might want to check out the articles on the Westside website. Louie provides a lot of years of knowledge in his articles, and there is probably something there that will help you.

Bako Lifter
05-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

RhodeHouse
05-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Look at my workout log. I only squat 1x per week, but you could add a DE day and keep it very similar to the ME day. Do more back, hamstring, and ab work than I do, though.