PDA

View Full Version : crossfit the way to go for rugby conditioning?

timlovesrugby
05-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I've been looking into it a bit and it seems like the most itense and fun way to gain functional strength, primarily, for me, to improve me as a player.
I have been doing compound lifts with high weights at the gym but im afraid of bulking in a negative way, as in, losing speed, which i need in my position.

Any thoughts/opinions, or maybe positive results from Rugby/US Football players ?

also, if used with proper dieting can it be teh solution to bulking without losing speed?

thanks, tim

Anthony
05-26-2007, 08:17 PM
We train with university rugby players who have nothing but good things to say about CrossFit. There are also several Australian/Euro rugby players on the CrossFit forums who speak highly of it ...

timlovesrugby
05-27-2007, 06:21 AM
ok, im pretty interested, think ill check the crossfit forums out in depth.

how necessary would you say the journals are? :P

Anthony
05-27-2007, 02:14 PM
You won't regret purchasing them, that's for damn sure.

Sensei
05-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I second that.

Also, I know there were old NSCA S&C Journals with articles about training for rugby. I don't have any of them, but do a search at their site (and google) - there should be good resources out there.

timlovesrugby
05-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks alot guys, will search for those articles but they arnt apparent, will have to dig.
I starting crossfit training today.. or attempted to. I discovered i was still a bit ill from a previous bug, and after warming up (crossfit style), urrm, my body needed me to be elsewhere..

However, minor setback :D and shall continue :P

Decided to subscribe as it interest me and have only EVER heard good things. Simply lifting i do not feel has done me that much good, apart from a little upper body bulk, over the past 6 weeks, and since real fitness i on my mind i shall pursuit it.

testadura
06-30-2007, 01:17 PM
were are you from tim?

nhlfan
06-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Simply lifting i do not feel has done me that much good, apart from a little upper body bulk, over the past 6 weeks, and since real fitness i on my mind i shall pursuit it.

6 weeks is a short time to try any type of fitness plan, don't sell conventional weightlifitng short.

testadura
06-30-2007, 09:58 PM
lift alot and run alot that will fix your problem. if its not working or your not seeing results increase said activties.