PDA

View Full Version : Noxon's Rehab/Reconditioning Journal

Pages : [1] 2

Noxon
05-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey!

I'm relatively new here. I've been lurking for the past few months, and made my first post ever simply to praise ALN's Nitrean product... But I think the community here is cool, and since I am keeping a FitDay journal and tracking my nutrition for the first time in my life, I decided to start a properly formatted public journal here as well.

I decided to keep a journal because I quit smoking a few weeks ago and I found that I was binging. The journal is intended to help me stick to my guns and get me back on track after three weeks of slipping!

It is not a temporary measure, though. As you will see, I have well defined short term and long term goals, and I intend on maintaining this journal the entire time I work towards them. This is a turning point for me, not a quick fix. It will make more sense if you take the time to read the short bio I posted up, though that is hardly necessary. :)

Note: My name, Noxon, has nothing to do with the barrage of crappy 'nutritional' products on the market that call themselves "NOX" this and "NOX" that. 'NOXON' is the name of a silver polish, and I chose it as my Counter-Strike nickname many, many, many years ago because I have a thing for palindromes. So, with that out of the way... :D

I'm 22 (Edit: Now 23) years old, 5'10".

------------------------------------------------

Progress Tracker

Weight: 169 lbs. Start / 195 lbs. Currently
Body Fat: 16% Start / 18% Currently
Deadlift: 285 x 2 Start / 315 x 2 | 335 x 1 Currently
Bench: 185 x 3 Start / 225 x 8 | 255 x 1 Currently
Squat: Unknown / 255 x 5 Currently
Day 1 Pics: Relaxed (http://www.razorcs.net/personal_images/standing_5_26_07_journalstart.jpg) / Flexed 001 (http://www.razorcs.net/personal_images/notjacked_5_26_07_journalstart.jpg) / Flexed 002 (http://www.razorcs.net/personal_images/day1_definition_5-26-07.jpg) / Undies Quads Shot (http://www.razorcs.net/personal_images/undies_5_26_07_journalstart.jpg)
End of Cut Pics: Coming end of August. =O
Freakin' Huge Pics: Check back next year!

Personal Training Goals / Intent
Short Term: Cut down to < 10% body fat / 150 lbs. overall weight.
To hell with all these goals, I decided to recomp and then get bigger. Which is exactly what I've done.
Long Term: Be healthy, look great, increase functional strength.
Get to 185 lbs. LBM and maintain there at 6% to 8% BF.
Never exceed 14% body fat at any time during my training, including bulk periods.
Increase raw strength as much as possible while staying inside my BF parameters.
Increase flexibility, especially in my hips and groin where I have lost a lot of it over the years. I want to be able to high kick over my head again without straining my groin and do ATF squats with moderate weight.
Increase the strength in my knees and slowly cause the tendons / ligaments in my left knee to get stronger by doing lower body exercise that is intense, but not so intense that I risk re-injuring my knee.
Target Date: 4/01/2009 - Start Final Cut

Nutrition
Overall Nutritional Goals
Consume 'clean' calories only.
Track calories closely during all stages. No see-food bulking. Only slow, controlled bulks that do not exceed the calories my body can make use of each day.
Balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats.
Nothing crazy. No fad diets. Just good, solid nutrition.
Strong emphasis on whole foods where possible.

Calorie Intake / Output Tracker
MY FITDAY JOURNAL! (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Noxon)

Supplements Creatine 5g/Day: Already been on for ~3 weeks.
Protein: Nitrean as needed to ensure that I have a daily protein intake that is at least 1.5g x LBM. Already been using for ~3 weeks.
At Large Nutrition's ETS: To assist with DOMS and soreness in my knee. Not yet started.
Multi-Vitamin: OneSource for general vitamin and mineral nutrition.

Exercise Routine
I am following Built's Baby Got Back routine with some minor modifications to suit my rehab needs. It is posted a little further down the page.

About Me
In an effort to bring down the Great Wall of Text that has unjustly divided the good citizens of my journal into Northern and Southern Noxonians, shattering families and dividing a nation, I moved the bio to a page on my web server. Those curious for a little background about who I am and why I train are welcome to read it here (http://www.razorcs.net/personal_images/about_me.html).

Built
05-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Bummer about the knee, and you sound like you're on a mission, a mission from GAD - good to know where you want to get to.

I have unrelated squatting issues, in my case having to do with being injured and old, but I recently switched to front squats and I'm STOKED about them because I don't have to lift as heavy to get just as good or better quad stimulation as I would with a heavier back squat, and, because the weight is in front, my form is forced down and back, FINALLY sitting back and pushing though my heels has made an ENORMOUS difference for me.

Try that. Also, of course, RDLs for hammies. Try doing RDLs and rack pulls instead of off the floor deads and you'll bypass a little more deep knee bending, which may mean a nice work-around for you.

Noxon
05-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Built -- Thanks for the feedback! Tomorrow is leg day so I will give front squats a try over back squats. I've never done a front squat before! Back in high school they always intimidated the hell out of me... And to be honest, back when I trained heavy in high school I rarely strength trained my legs because I already had huge legs from playing so much soccer and I only had two hours a week to strength train. This was also at a time in the late 90's when there was a large outcry in high school sports about the dangers of squatting, which I now know to be the result of poor form, over-training and childish competition / exceeding one's capabilities. Any free weight exercise has the potentially to be extremely dangerous if performed outside the range of someone's natural capability.

I really appreciate this type of feedback. I would urge anybody that can give me solid advice on rehabilitating my knee OR my leg routines to do so. Leg training in general and joint rehab are going to be the areas I need the most help with due to my inexperience.

Edit: I am most definitely on a mission from GAD! That movie was just on TV a couple of days ago.

Oh, and forgive my ignorance, but what does RDL stand for? I am new to the whole online fitness forum speak. Nevermind, Romanian Dead Lifts... Google ftw. See, I didn't even know there was such a thing. That's pretty damn cool and sounds like a handy exercise to incorporate into my legs since I'm still carrying a lot of my excess baggage on my ass end and lower back.

Built
05-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I am by no means a rehab expert. But I AM old lol - I spend a lot of time visiting various support staff for support.

("I'd like to thank my chiro, my ART guy, my physios - yes, I have several - Advil, ETS, and fish oil ... ")

You might even try goblet squats at first if you haven't squatted in a while.

I do indeed remember the "OMG teh squats are teh knee death" crap in the 90s. Ick.

goblet squats (http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/20544.jpg)
[/URL]

[URL="http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-157-training/image005.jpg"]Poliquin strap trick for front squats (http://www.thetrainingstationinc.com/exercises.html)

Noxon
05-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I do indeed remember the "OMG teh squats are teh knee death" crap in the 90s. Ick.
Indeed. For the record, spinning roundhouse kicks ARE teh knee death!!!

Actually, I'm ashamed to admit that I was drunk and demonstrating for this cute blonde chick at the time that it happened. Not just a little drunk, either. The same GAD that I am currently on a mission for apparently found an eye-opening way to humble me. That's for sure. Now I don't drink OR do spinning roundhouse kicks, the former by choice and the latter out of necessity. Hahaha. This just goes to show that alcohol should never be mixed with martial arts. Hear that, kids??? Say NO to drinking and kicking.

Noxon
05-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Saturday, May 26, 2007
Journal Entry (Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=26))

Today is technically the second day that I have kept my nutrition journal at FitDay, but this marks my first full day of following my nutrition plan to the letter.

-----------------------------------------

Nutrition

As far as my diet goes, I am *very* happy with my first day's results. I hit all of my nutritional goals, including reduced sodium intake which has been the hardest for me. My total caloric deficit was 1220, within a few % of my target. If every day goes like this one, I'll hit my short term target of < 10% body fat by the end of June and be ready for my slow-bulk! That is definitely exciting.

I am feeling the fatigue of two straight days of ~1300 calorie deficits and hyper-intense training. I will have to see how this plays out over the next week or two and possibly reduce my deficit if I find myself becoming too fatigued to maintain my exercise regimen and perform at work. Right now I am feeling some brain fog, but I felt much more alert during the day.

On a side note, this was the second day in which I took one 250mg caffeine pill around breakfast time, and once again it helped me curb my cravings for food as a result of my smoke-out and as a result of my fairly hardcore cut diet. If I find myself craving food in the next week or two, I may add a second 250mg caffeine pill sometime around lunch. I have resolved NOT to use any more caffeine than 500mg/day, no matter what. I will simply be disciplined if it gets to that point. I have a feeling that by the time that happens, though, my body will become used to my calorie intake and cravings will subside.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=26)

Exercise
HIIT Biking x 22 minutes / 55:45 MaxEffort:Rest / 4.5 miles / EXTREME Hill Route

Thoughts and Dissertations:
I think I pushed too hard today for my first HIIT session. My max effort intervals felt like 11's instead of 10's and I had to fight for an hour after I got home to stop from puking and could only drink small amounts of water. I felt like if I tried to eat I would lose the first two meals of my day, which would have been bad. I hadn't eaten for two hours PRIOR to my exercise, which means this somewhat threw off my meal schedule.

The next time I do HIIT I intend to reduce my intensity a touch and also adjust my MaxEffort:Rest intervals from 55:45 to 40:60. One of the primary ways I will do this is to make the final downhill section of my course a rest instead of a max effort. It is a mile and a half long, and today I 'sprinted' the entire thing at about 50 MPH (It is a 15% grade and I have a 20-something speed Cannondale). This was after I had already put in tons of effort getting up that high in the first place. I think the final sprint really destroyed me... I thought I was going to puke AND faint. Not good. Need to take it a little easier next time. Especially because fainting at 50 MPH on a bike would result in some pretty narsty road rash / death in oncoming traffic!

------------------

Random Thoughts

I've decided to abandon the idea of staying on maintenance calories over the summer. As slow as I intend on bulking, I seriously doubt that over the course of a few months I will put on enough body fat to even make a noticeable difference between 8% and XYZ%.

And lastly, the first pictures I posted really do me no justice even though I am a bit of a lard-ass at 19% body fat right now. In the interests of providing a fair future reference, here's a picture of me from DAY 1 looking about as lean as I can possibly look right now... No goofy faces this time. I am flexing my abs hard enough to pass a watermelon through my rectum in this picture, believe it or not. Hahaha.

http://www.razorcs.net/personal_images/day1_definition_5-26-07.jpg

Built
05-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Your fats are a bit too low. Why would you want to reduce sodium - aren't you on a cut?

Noxon
05-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Funny you mention that... I was just reading your article "Mmmmm Fat!" and didn't put it together that you wrote it until I just now glanced at your signature. One more peanut meal should set me straight for tomorrow.

As for sodium, when I was binging on packaged/processed carbs for the past few weeks I was taking in 10g+ of sodium each day. That seemed somewhat obscene to me, so I decided to shoot for 3000mg to 5000mg per day.

This is my current nutrient report if it helps any:
http://www.razorcs.net/personal_images/nutrients_20070526.jpg

Edit: Going to rephrase the stuff about calories because I think I was completely unclear.

Built
05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Ignore fitday's expenditures stuff. Just track intake.

Nothing wrong with sodium if your BP is okay.

Noxon
05-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Ignore fitday's expenditures stuff. Just track intake.
Okay, that makes sense then. I was really feeling like FitDay was out of whack.

I think my plan for the next week should be to forget about my presumptions about my caloric maintenance needs and simply track my calories and see how my weight changes (or doesn't) on a 2200 to 2400 kcal/day intake. I can deal with the fact that I won't see significant changes for a month or so. I'm going to shoot for 1.5 lbs/wk total loss and leave it at that... Once I get to 1.5 lbs/wk, it will take me 8 to 10 weeks of cutting to reach 10%. I'm fine with adjusting my short term goals... My cut goals were unrealistic.

On an unrelated note, last time I went to the doc my BP was borderline. Haven't had it tested recently. Could have also been due to stress given my situation six months ago. Thanks for indirectly reminding me to check up on that. heh :)

Noxon
05-27-2007, 12:27 PM
4-Day Split / Push-Pull, HIIT Cardio 1xWeek, PWO SS Cardio 2xWeek

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Horizontal Push-Pull / Calves / Abs
Rack Pulls 5x5
Bent One-Arm Rows 3x8
Flat Barbell Press 5x5
Incline Dumbbell Press 3x8
Calf Raise 5x5
Weighted Crunches 3x8
Twists / Leg Raises
PWO SS Cardio 15 Minutes Medium Effort

Thursday: Quad Dominant / Hamstring Accessory / Biceps
Back Squats 5x5
Glute-Ham Raises 5x5
Concentration Curls 8,5,5,8
Hammer Curls 8,5,5,8
Towel Grip Farmer's Walk 5x60 seconds
Plate Pinch Farmer's Walk 5x60 seconds

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Vertical Push-Pull / Calves / Abs
Chins 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Side Lateral Raises 3x8 / Bent Side Lateral Raises 3x8 (Alt Weekly)
Cable Lat Pull Overs
Calf Raise 3x8
Weighted Crunches 3x8
Leg Raises 3x8
Twist Crunches 3x20x2

Sunday: Hamstring Dominant / Quad Accessory / Triceps
Romanian Deadlifts 5x5
Good Mornings 3x8
Leg Extensions 3x8
Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions 3x8
Weighted Dip Station 3x8

Built
05-27-2007, 05:17 PM
You don't need "ab days" - there's no advantage to it. Just do a few sets of weighted abs on your upper body days and be done with it. You can do them as supersets with your calf work to save time.

Since you are cutting, ditch the third movements from your upper days - so horizontal push pull looks like this:

Wednesday: Horizontal Push-Pull / Calves
Deadlifts 5x5 (Rack Pulls if I can figure out some sort of rack)
Bent Rows 3x8

Flat Barbell Press 5x5

Calf Raise 3x8*
Weighted abs 3x8*
*do as a pair: set of calves, short rest, set of abs, short rest ...

On your rest days, just rest.

Rest 1-2 minutes between the 5x5 sets, and 30-60 seconds between the 3x8 sets since they're not as heavy. You can do them as antagonist pairs, if you like, to save time: set of dumbbell press, rest 30 seconds, set of one-arm rows, rest 30 seconds ... like that until all sets of that pair are done.

Make sense?

Noxon
05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Makes a lot of sense -- I just took the time to poke around your blog and now I sort of feel bad for making you give all this advice when a) I'm pretty much attempting to do the exact same thing that you're currently doing and b) I'm pretty much mimicking what you're doing as best as I can and c) You've already taken the time to document everything you're doing!

Ah well, thanks for all the help. You're awesome.

But not so awesome that I didn't catch an error in your algebra in one of your articles! Muhuhahaha! :D

(Please don't beat me up)

Noxon
05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Sunday, May 27, 2007
Journal Entry (Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=27))

Nutrition

Today was a pain because I didn't budget enough time for preparing good meals, but luckily chicken saved the day! I was able to up my fats pretty easily, and cut some carbs as well. If I wasn't so broke for Nitrean (Only one serving today, which I saved for post workout), I would have had better protein consumption today than on any past day. Overall, today was good. There are issues, but nothing that can't be easily corrected. Under normal circumstances, today would have been an improvement over yesterday and the day before.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=27)

Exercise
Romanian Deadlifts: 115x6, 115x7, 135x5, 155x5, 155x5
Good Mornings: 65x8, 75x8, 95x10
Leg Extensions (Singles): 20x8x2, 35x8x2, 50x8x2
Skullcrushers: 45x5, 55x5, 55x5, 60x5, 65x5 (PR)
Hanging Dip Station, Hammer Grip: 170x8, 170x8, 170x8

Thoughts and Dissertations:
Okay, so almost all of these exercises are ones that were not a part of my routine before today, so there was LOTS of new ground to cover. I spent my day practicing form with light weight. I did increase the weight on the skullcrushers since I have done those a couple of times in the past month or so, although they weren't a part of my routine.

RDL's: I definitely need to increase weight on this movement before I can properly work my hammies with it, but overall today was successful in that I was able to use good form and felt comfortable throughout my sets. We'll see how my legs and hips feel tomorrow. :) I really need to work on my grip strength. I can already tell that my RDL's are going to be grip limited for a while just like my deads are currently.

GM's: I think I got closer to my max safe rep weight on this one. I could definitely feel the pull on my hammies and the tightness in my back on my last set. I like this exercise a lot. Oh, I found a piece of pipe insulation and used a kickboxing handwrap to wrap it around my bar... COMFY! I can't wait to front squat now! hahaha.

LE's: I won't be pushing this over 50 lbs. for a while. The bench I use for knee flexion is awful. I think it was made for women or children because it's tiny as all get out, and it's missing a screw so one of the back rails slides around. I hate it, and being that I'm not particularly fond of knee flexion in the first place, it's really going to make this one a chore. I should just find a good attachment for my olympic bench and scrap this stupid Gold's Gym thing. I already checked and the attachment is NOT universal. >,<

SC: Well, I've only done this a couple of times in the past to see what it was all about (I have generally preferred a combo of indirect tri work and isolated tri work to compound tris -- no particular reason, that's just what I was accustomed to), but I did set a personal record today. Probably won't be the last one while I feel this movement out, but I will say that 65 lbs was pretty tough for me on my last rep of 5th set. I'm planning on keeping it there for a couple of weeks while I work on my form because I still have a tendency to move my elbows in and out during the movement. Is this normal? I don't feel any pain or anything, but any time a joint is moving laterally during an extension or contraction under load it makes me somewhat nervous.

Dips: These went well. I took them really slow until my last set when I had to change to a 2s rep tempo because my arms were protesting loudly. I barely got the last rep up, but up it went... Just how I like to end a workout. :D

Oh, and then I went and got rained on during my PWO cardio. hehe

------------------

Random Thoughts

I was doing some hunting around on the Chamber of Commerce website for the town and I learned that a GYM opened in the years since I've been gone!!! I am really excited to check it out. I hope it's nice. I really need better facilities to get the most out of my routines. The equipment I'm using and the environment that I am exercising in is terrible.

I hope they have tanning beds.

Built
05-27-2007, 09:04 PM
I totally suck at math. Where's the error?

Noxon
05-28-2007, 07:51 AM
lol... I don't think it's very important (Not a formula). I was mostly just giving you crap. :)

Issue 6 of your Q & A:

If you curl 2x lbs an arm for the seated dumbbell curls, do the x's for the inclines, and set the pin at 4x lbs for the close-grips.

Yes, I said x.

Sorry. Math geek.

Ill give an example: when I do em, I use 30 lbs a side for the alternating curls, 15 lbs a side for the inclines, and set the pin at 120 lbs for the close-grip pulldowns.
x = 15, 4x = 60, 8x=120

Hey, on my skullcrushers is it okay that my elbows drift laterally a bit during the movement? I have tried to correct it, but when I increase weight that's just the natural motion they want to follow. They drift outwards the farther down I go and then back in as I push up... Which could just be a flexibility issue with my shoulders and the fact that I take them really deep. =/

Built
05-28-2007, 08:59 AM
I should have said "4x per arm - 8x"

Oh well. At least the example was right lol

I can't do skullcrushers without destroying my elbows. Maybe ask this one in its own thread.

Noxon
05-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I think skullcrushers are just elbow destroyers in general... The first couple of times I did them (Before this routine) I didn't like the motion and my elbows felt kind of weird, so I went back to just doing a mix of indirect tri work and lying barbell extensions. This past time, they felt great. I was probably overtrained because the past month before I started this routine and cut I was doing Westside-style benching to get from 125 to 185.

I found a great archive thread that talks about the proper form for skullcrushers:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/archive/index.php/t-17574.html

Noxon
05-28-2007, 09:29 AM
I may just ditch the SCers for flat tricep barbell extensions again. In the past I have always used lying extensions for my isolated tri work, going all the way back to high school, so the movement is familiar to me and I feel I can get a better effect from it. I get plenty of indirect tri work from other movements, so I'm not terribly worried about it... Anything that makes them pop a little bit!

Noxon
05-28-2007, 09:35 AM
.... But the name SKULLCRUSHERS is so cool! I mean, who doesn't want to lean on the watercooler and say, "So, I got my SKULLCRUSHERS up to 95 lbs. on Sunday. Man, I'm gonna feel that burn for DAYS."

I kid. I kid. But there is some truth to that.

Here is the solution: From now on, lying barbells will forever be known as WORLD DESTROYERS. YARRRRRRRRRRR!!!! MANLY!!!!!! RAAAWWWWRRR!!!

Okay... I'm goofy as hell. Time to go eat some peanut butter.

Noxon
05-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Monday, May 28, 2007
Journal Entry (Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=28))

Nutrition

Today was a rest day, so I reduced my carb intake some and reduced my overall calorie intake to 1800. My protein fell short because I am out of Nitrean and I didn't budget my calories properly. I got way too many calories from peanuts today, which would have been okay, except I needed free calories so that I could have gotten more protein out of meats. Oh well. Nitrean is on its way and this should not be a problem next week.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=28)

Exercise
I did not do my scheduled HIIT today because I last did HIIT on Saturday the 26th and my quads really need a break after doing HIIT and lower body the past two days.

Instead, today I rested and also did some light stretching to work on my ROM.

Thoughts:
I am seeing improvements in ROM already, but I have a long way to go. I have decided to emphasize my stretching now rather than later. This way I am increasing my ROM while I work with light weight on my lower body. I don't want to be working too much on my ROM when I am going heavy since this increases risk of injury. I've suffered enough lower body injuries to last a lifetime between kickboxing, soccer and skateboarding. lol

What I'm currently working with...
Quads: Great ROM, maintenance stretches only.
Calves: Good ROM, light dynamic stretches only.
Hip Flexors/Glutes: Bad ROM, lots of work needed.
Hammies: Awful ROM, biggest problem area.
Spinal Flexion: Good ROM, but hips are pulling too much on lower back.

Of course, my ROM standards are from a kickboxer's perspective, so while I am certainly capable of deep squatting right now, a thrusting high heel kick (AKA 'the upper-cut from hell') is very much out of the question right now.

Improving my hip flexibility some more will definitely help my stability in deep squats.

------------------

Random Thoughts

I tried not to think too much. It was Memorial Day; I ate food and said a prayer for our troops overseas, cursed the military's gambling program over dinner and called it a day.

Noxon
05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Journal Entry
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Nutrition

Another rest day, another 1800-ish calories. This time I feel that I did a much better job of meeting my intended macros even without a protein supplement.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=29)

Exercise

Today was a rest day. I hate resting, so I went for a stroll in the neighborhood.

http://rgoerss.bluedomino.com/personal_images/Rob_MtMajor_Summit_Small.jpg

------------------

Random Thoughts

I love summit snacks.

Hmmm... What else. Oh, I checked out the gym. It was quiet, has all the equipment I'll need including showers so that I can get all sweaty right before I go to work, and it's a reasonable $99 for three months. There were even some cute little cardioblondes. I'm sold. Tomorrow will be my first day there. Should be nice to not have to work out in the dusty basement and wrestle with my stupid screw-together dumbbells just to get through my routine.

Built
05-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Great shot! You look happy!

Noxon
05-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks!

Hiking / climbing is always a blast. Gotta love it!

Built
05-29-2007, 10:25 PM
I like it too. Pack a ton of food, climb up on top of a big rock, look out at the view and EAT!

Noxon
05-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Hell yeah. Everything tastes better on top of the world! :D

I'm planning on doing a lot of hiking and climbing this summer. Depending on what my schedule looks like, I may volunteer with the AMC as a guide for children's groups. As you can see, there are a lot of mountains around... LOL. Three ranges surround the town I live in, plus the White Mountains/Presidential Range are about twenty minutes north of here. I missed the mountains so much when I was living in the Midwest! This journal is probably going to end up turning into a photo gallery of all the mountain ranges in northern NH... :D

Noxon
05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nutrition

Okay, so I'm more or less done eating for the day except for protein shake tonight. 2300 calories... My body wants me to eat more after the workout, but tough ****! I tried explaining that if it wants more food, first it needs to make the fat go away.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=30)

Exercise

Horizontal upper body day / core strength.

Rack Pulls: 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 355 x 3 (PR)
Flat Bench: 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 175 x 5, 195 x 5, 215 x 1 (PR: Was 185), 175 x 5
One-Arm Rows: 65 x 8 x 2, 70 x 8 x 2, 70 x 8 x 2
Incline Dumbbell Press: 80 x 8, 90 x 8, 100 x 8
Standing Calf Raises: 220 x 5, 280 x 6, 320 x 5, 340 x 5, 380 x 5
Weighted Floor Crunches: 35 x 8, 60 x 8, 85 x 8
Leg Raises: BW x 8, BW + 20 lb. Ankle Weights x 8, Again x 8
Twist Crunches: BW x 12 x 2, BW x 12 x 2, BW x 12 x 2

HIIT Cardio: Bike, 15 Minutes

Thoughts:
Wow. I had one hell of a day. I don't know what to attribute my gains to, whether it is my improved routine scheduling, improved diet, the new gym / improved equipment, or what, but I just absolutely destroyed today. I had been stuck at 175 to 185 1RM on the bench for almost a month, and today I threw 195 up there 5 times like it was nothing and nearly repped 215 twice a minute later. Rack pulls were very strong. All lifts were strong, actually. I felt #(&*#$ great today!!!! So psyched to be back in the game. I haven't lifted like that since high school. My grip failed on my rack pulls or I would have hit my last two for sure... But my grip is definitely getting a lot stronger than it was when I did heavy deadlifts a couple of weeks ago. My rack pulls today were actually only a few inches off from deadlifts since I did them on a 4" platform. The platform lets me eliminate just enough of the deep knee bend, but still gives me a lot of quad and core emphasis.

The knee I injured in 06 is a bit sore, left knee. It kind of feels like I have a bruise right above my kneecap, but there is no swelling and I only feel it if I push on it. I think I might have actually hit myself in the leg with the 50 lb dumbbell when I was dismounting my last IDP set and not even realized it at the time. I'm going to monitor it... I mean, the area that is sore is nothing that I've injured in the past. I am walking fine and I feel awesome. Not too worried. Probably smacked myself with a dumbbell. Could also have been too much too soon on the rack pulls. My legs are strong enough to lift the weight, but I don't know that my ligaments are strong enough yet. Hrmpf.

I felt so strong today... I really, really wanted to try deadlifting 305 before I left the gym (PR is currently 285), but I told myself I should wait and stick to the rack pulls for a while. It feels so good to get some heavy lifts in that I just want to jump into everything at once, balls to the wall, but I know I need to take it slow. Sigh. Rehab suuuuccccckkks. I know I would have absolutely destroyed my 285 deadlift today. All in good time.

------------------

Random Thoughts

I weighed in at 165 today, 5 lbs lighter than when I began my cut. I look noticeably more defined. A lot of it is water weight, but the fact that I beat the **** out of my personal records today while on a cut just makes me feel good. I am really looking forward to this routine next week. I am going to be so sore tomorrow. I pushed hard today. Hell, I am already sore and it's been a few hours. My chest and shoulders are still trembling. LOVE IT.

Noxon
05-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Journal Entry
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Nutrition

Pain in the ass morning... Had no breakfast protein foods, ended up eating some chicken that I baked last night. Then I went to make a pre-workout shake and saw that I only had one serving left of the crappy WalMart protein that I was using while waiting on more Nitrean, so I didn't get to make a pre-workout shake at all.

On the bright side, the UPS guy delivered my order from ALN this afternoon, just 2 days after I ordered. =)

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=4&Day=31)

Exercise

Quads / Biceps Day

Well, I woke up feeling as though I was in a full body cast this morning and I somehow slept through a gang of midgets tenderizing me all night with meat hammers. After an hour of stretching, I could finally touch my toes again. I managed to strain my hamstring or groin while stretching, hard to tell. Just an aggravation, mostly.

Front Squats
45 x 1 million .... Trying to get my form right.
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 2

Okay, my wrists are simply not flexible for front squats right now. I gave the crossed arms thing a shot, but I hate that position, so I am going to put heavy front squats on hold for a while until I can get my wrist flexibility increased.

Not wanting to just stop my squats, I decided to do some back squats instead to finish it out.

Back Squats
155 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

I was happier with the back squats. Still working on my form and just getting used to the motions since I've never really done a lot of squatting before. I felt like my form at 205 was damn near flawless, but I want to practice more before I go heavy enough to really start straining.

Leg Curls (Alternating Singles)
50 x 8 x 2
60 x 8 x 2
60 x 8 x 2

By third set, whatever I strained while stretching was bugging me and I didn't want to aggravate it too much, so I left it on 60. I did a few reps on 70, but the effort was making it hurt more. Damn it.

Face Pulls
70 x 8
100 x 8
130 x 10

I like face pulls. I felt like my traps didn't get a good enough workout from my rows yesterday, so I decided to throw the face pulls into my routine today.

Alternating Dumbbell Curls
25 x 5 x 2
30 x 5 x 2
35 x 5 x 2
40 x 3 x 2

Okay. I missed my last two reps with the 40's, which pissed me off. I waited a few minutes and then....

40 x 3/5 ... Missed the fourth and fifth reps with my left arm. I was so gassed. I just couldn't will it up there, I stalled out with my left arm halfway up the fourth rep. I did my fifth right, tried again with left... Even worse results. Ah well. Before today, the heaviest I had gone with DB curls was 35 lbs.

Alternating Hammer Curls
25 x 10 x 2
30 x 5 x 2 Totally gassed again.
25 x 6 x 2 Even more gassed.

HIIT Cardio x 10 Mins (Bike)

So, today was disappointing. Nothing was really working in my favor. Every part of me was stiff and incredibly sore, which can be worked through (And I tried...). What really got to me was my complete lack of energy. I had no protein drink going into my workout or during, so I was pretty much running on caffeine and chicken, which didn't go so well towards the end. No oats, dextrose or whey at all this morning. *grumble*

------------------

Random Thoughts

I got my ETS today. Hopefully it will provide some major DOMS relief, because if I hit the same intensity with every workout that I did yesterday (Which I would like to) then I simply won't be able to move. Ever. I also picked up some fish oil locally (liquid) and am starting a 10 ml (Same as 10 caps) per day regimen.

Humm, also got some more dextrose on the way so I can stop using cane sugar for my PWO creatine uptake. I got 12 lbs. of it this time, so I won't be running out any time soon.

Noxon
06-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Journal Entry
Saturday, June 2, 2007

Nutrition

Nutrition was fine until I chowed down on mini pretzels. Haha. I dunno, I was guessing because the Internet was down all day due to storms.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=2)

Exercise

Vertical Upper Body Push-Pull / Calves / Abs

A lot of these exercises I had not done yet, so much of today was spent trying to find my limits and just get a feel for stuff.

Bent Side Lateral Raises
10 x 8
15 x 8
20 x 8
20 x 8 -- Wanted to try it lying on an incline bench.

Chins
+0 x 5
+25 x 5
+45 x 5
+50 x 4
+25 x 5

I tried these with a shoulder-width grip as well as a slightly wider grip. In both cases, it didn't seem like I was hitting my lats with them.

Military Press
65 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 4
115 x 5

Lying Pull Overs
45 x 8
55 x 8
65 x 5

On last set my shoulder felt really weird at the bottom of my backwards/downwards motion, like it was going to pop out of the socket or something. Might alternate these each week with standing straight-arm pull downs to mix things up and strengthen that joint.

Standing Calf Raises
220 x 5
320 x 5
360 x 5
400 x 5
440 x 5

Weighted Abs
75 x 8
95 x 8
125 x 5
105 x 8

Knee Raises
+0 x 8
+20 x 8
+20 x 8

Twist Crunches
16 Reps x 2 Sides x 3 Sets

HIIT Cardio x 10 Mins (Bike)

------------------

Random Thoughts

According to the scale at home (Which is different from the one at the gym), I have actually gained weight since I started my cut. I don't know what to make of that. I feel thinner and more defined, and yet the scale says I weigh about the same or a little bit more. I don't know how I could be gaining weight on 1800 to 2200 calories a day, but perhaps water weight is being manipulated. At one point last week I weighed in 5 lbs lighter. I'm planning on just sticking with my current diet for another week or so to see if anything more appreciable happens.

Noxon
06-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Journal Entry
Sunday, June 3, 2007

Nutrition

No pretzels today. lol

I could use some low calorie snack suggestions besides Jello. Looking mainly for mechanical snacks for days where I am sitting around the house way too much for my own good.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=3)

Exercise

Hamstring Dominant Lower / Quad Secondary / Triceps

Felt good in the gym today, plenty of energy. Not sore at all... ETS working already? I am definitely sleeping like a freakin' log. I slept for about 10 hours last night, which certainly helps with recovery!

Since I am sort of just getting the hang of a lot of my exercises, I'm just going to put exercises in bold that are improvements / increases over the prior week. They aren't really 'personal records' since I wouldn't say I've maxed out on any of them, nor am I really maxing out anything while I'm cutting.

RDLs
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
215 x 5

Still some room on these, but I felt them in my hams this week. Used a mixed grip on my last two sets so that I wouldn't drop it. My overhand grip fails after a few reps above 200 lbs. it seems.

Good Mornings
95 x 8
115 x 8
120 x 8

Last week I thought I was near my limit with GM's. This week my form actually felt more solid and I was able to take them a lot heavier.

Leg Extensions (Alt Singles)
40 x 8 x 2
50 x 8 x 2
60 x 8 x 2

Better equipment helps a lot here... Probably take them heavier next week.

Lying Tri Extensions
45 x 8
55 x 8
65 x 5

Weighted Dips (Not Bench)
+0 x 8
+25 x 8
+35 x 5

Last week I could barely finish 3 sets of 8 with no weight... Getting better.

SS Cardio x 15 Mins (Jog)

------------------

Random Thoughts

Duh hurrrrrr. Think I might do some grip work later with towel plate walks and plate pinches. Gym is closed now since it's Sunday. =/

More random thoughts... The spot on my left leg / knee that was bothering me after my workout on Wednesday feels a lot better. I really am thinking that I just hit myself with a dumbbell -- I should be more careful when dismounting. lol

Howard 9
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Nice lifts man, your strength gains in bench especially are crazy. I think BGB is defintely one of the better programs out there because it is just so damn balanced to every muscle group. Nothing is neglected.

Noxon
06-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks man -- BGB is an awesome split, I agree. My gains on bench last week were definitely crazy... I can't imagine putting up another 30 lbs. this week, but I'm really gunning for four plates!

Thanks for stopping by the journal.

Built
06-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm really happy to read that you're enjoying your training so much.

Regarding the snack situation - what do you need more of - fat? Protein?

Noxon
06-03-2007, 07:11 PM
As far as I can see, the only thing I really need more of is stuff to put in my mouth. lol... More caffeine may be in order. :(

Sugar free Jello has been serving me pretty well... After the initial kick from adding caffeine to my diet wore off, hand-mouth syndrome returned and dieting is getting more and more unbearable. At least I'm craving food and not cigarettes.

Built
06-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Okay, well, try eating a little less food in the day, when you can have more caffeine to stave off hunger, and eat a little more food at night, when you likely eschew such supplements in favour of impending sleep ... that's how I do it.

Noxon
06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
You know, I haven't been doing that at all, and sometimes it just takes someone pointing out the obvious. You are absolutely right, though.

It sure is easier to chow down early in the day when there's still 1800-2000 calories left to consume. I just need to be more disciplined.

Built
06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
It always amazes me why more people don't do this.

Noxon
06-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I think because lots of people are like me, and they enjoy eating a lot during the day when they can fool themselves into thinking that they still have a big allowance left over... Then they enjoy eating a lot at night when they are starving to the point where they don't care anymore! LOL

Noxon
06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Blah... Today I noticed deep tissue bruising above my left knee where the quads end. It would appear that I managed to strain my a quad muscle this past Wednesday after all. Of course I don't have health insurance, but I don't need a doctor to tell me to rest it. This sucks! I hate injuries. HATE! >.<

Noxon
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Journal Entry
Monday, June 4, 2007

Nutrition

Today is going better... I have been staging my food so that most of my calories come after dinner time.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=4)

Exercise

Rest day. I've decided to just roll my cardio into my workout days, like I've been doing, and leave the other three days of the week as rest / non-workout activity days.

------------------

Random Thoughts

So I had my pre-employment physical today and got weighed on an accurate scale at 177 lbs. In other words, the scale at home is off. Way off. I don't know why this surprises me, since I am nearly 23 years old and this scale is older than I am. Quite literally. My parents have had that thing since before the dawn of written history.

So... All my BF% and LBM calculations were based on inaccurate weight, but I think when it all comes down to it, it really makes no matter. I know I carry my body fat poorly anyway, with the vast majority of it on my waist. The purpose of my cut is to get my waist shredded, so when I'm happy with my summer body, I'll be done with the cut.

As for the leg, I am prescribing myself three weeks of rest from any quad dominant exercise or heavy lower body lifts. As much as this sucks, I don't want to risk turning a very minor tear into a major one. Right now I'm not in pain and haven't lost strength... Stage 1. I plan to keep it that way and let the stupid thing heal. Grrrr.

Howard 9
06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Is your scale at home on a carpet? When a scale is on a carpet it makes you weigh more. Just a thought, but since it is that old your probably right.

Make sure to get some ice/heat on that quad with some minor stretching on it too, hopefully you will be 100% in no time.

Noxon
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Nutrition

Well, after pretty much abandoning my cut diet these past couple of days and loading up on some carbs, today I am attempting to get back on track (And doing a halfway decent job of it).

This morning I drank raw eggs for breakfast. Don't ask me why. They tasted nasty, and I know it isn't smart with the bacteria going around. I guess I was just curious. Hahaha. I won't be doing that again.

Although it wasn't as bad as I had been anticipating.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=6)

Exercise

Upper Body Horizontal / Calves / Abs

I was very disappointed to have to rest my quad today, but the gains made elsewhere and the overall intensity of my workout made up for it. Deadlifts / rack pulls are like soul food, though, and I am definitely missing them in the interim.

Once again, lifts in bold are improvements over the prior week. In some cases, personal records which are noted.

Generally, the theme of today's workout was this: Improve form, increase concentration on held contractions and increase negative time for all exercises, even if it means moving less weight. In some cases, such as one-arm rows, this meant a significant weight reduction because I had been cheating. In others, I wasn't cheating that bad and I still made some gains today.

Overall, I think this was my most intense workout to date even with the absence of the much-loved rack pulls.

Rack Pulls
Took the week off to rest my strained quad.

Flat Bench Press
45 x 10
135 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 5
215 x 3 PR 3RM
225 x 1
225 x 1 PR 1RM

I felt strong on bench again this week. I have gone from STUCK on bench to holding myself back so that I don't move too much too soon and injure my chest the way I did my quad. 225 singles were easy today... I felt for all the world like I could have grunted out a 235, but all in due time. =/

One Arm Rows
45 x 10 x 2
50 x 8 x 2
55 x 8 x 2

Okay, so I actually decreased my weight for these, but the reason is that I fixed my form and improved my level of concentration on my contractions. I also increased my hold and negative times. This row session was definitely a lot more intense than anything I've done in the past with my rows. I would call it an improvement.

Incline Dumbbell Press
90 x 8
100 x 7.5
110 x 6.5

I improved my form, increased concentration and slowed my reps on this exercise as well. As a result, I didn't finish out my last two sets, but I still feel that the workout I got today from my IDPs was superior to last week.

Face Pulls
90 x 10
110 x 8
140 x 8

I made the same changes to this exercise that I did with the dumbbells. I would call the theme of today's workout "super concentration". I struggled with the set at 140 whereas last week with crappier form and faster reps, 130 was a breeze. My traps feel awesome right now. They will hurt tomorrow. My back will thank me eventually.

Standing Calf Raises
Took the week off to rest my strained quad.

Weighted Abs
90 x 10
110 x 8
125 x 8

Once again, mega concentration. I also got a nice gain here. Last ab session, even with less concentration and faster reps, I struggled hard with 125. This week, I struggled with 125, but I struggled for 8 reps instead of 5.

Knee Raises
3 Sets x 8 Reps

I ditched the ankle weights this time in favor of strict form. This is one of those exercises where using strict form, holding your contractions and using a limited range of motion can make a world of difference. My god, my abs are going to ache in the morning.

Twist Crunches
3 Sets x 20 Reps x 2 Sides

SS PWO Cardio
30 Minute Elliptical Run, Med-High Effort

------------------

Random Thoughts

There's a Planet Fitness gym right down the street from my new job, and they offer unlimited tanning with the $15/month membership, so I am definitely going to be checking that out next week. It's in Dover, NH if anybody works out there currently.

I AM NOT GOING TO EDIT THIS POST. YEAH, YOU HEARD ME! NO EDIT!!!!

Peace out-siiiieeede! -.-

Noxon
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Is your scale at home on a carpet? When a scale is on a carpet it makes you weigh more. Just a thought, but since it is that old your probably right.

Make sure to get some ice/heat on that quad with some minor stretching on it too, hopefully you will be 100% in no time.
Scale is on tile, it's just broke-ass! Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I am convinced that my quad problems are minor and I will be back to pulling in no time. :)

The scale at the gym is a lot closer to what the doctor weighed me at, but it's hard to use that as a daily reference since I don't workout at the same time every day and what I have consumed beforehand can vary pretty dramatically. Oh well, it doesn't make much difference anyway.

Howard 9
06-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Nice workout man, I see a lot of people just swing weight around, but it is just a waste of time if your not having a slow negative with a contraction point. Nice work. The good form will pay off.

Noxon
06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks man!

I feel the same way. All the numbers in the world are meaningless if the results aren't there.

I was just glad that I had a decent bench session. I was somewhat worried that I would bench like crap without the whole-body adrenaline rush that heavy pulls gives.

Built
06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Props on the edit reform...

;)

Noxon
06-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Props on the edit reform...

;)
So glad you noticed!

Edit reform has been more difficult for me thus far than committing to my cut diet and four day split. That just seems wrong! :lol:

Noxon
06-06-2007, 08:26 PM
OK.

Now see... Apparently :lol: is not recognized as a smiley-guy, but if I edit the post to fix it I'm going to look like a total numbnutz. What a dilemma my edit addiction has placed me in. :bang:

Part 2 Edit Reformation:

*drumroll*

Use the #$*@ing preview!

Built
06-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Hahahahahahahahaa!

Noxon
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Journal Entry
Thursday, June 7, 2007

Nutrition

I cooked my eggs this morning. Wisely.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=7)

Exercise

Quad Dominant Legs / Hamstring Accessory / Biceps

Did the whole concentration / form thing again today.

Squats
45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5 x 5

Just some light squats to get the blood flowing. Still resting quad.

Glute-Ham Raises
BW x 8 x 3

First time doing these -- I like them. This chick who was stretching on the mats next to the roman chair liked them, too. lol

Concentration Curls
30 x 8 x 2
35 x 5 x 2
40 x 5 x 2
25 x 8 x 2

Alt DB Hammer Curls
25 x 8 x 2
30 x 5 x 2
30 x 6 x 2
20 x 8 x 2

The conc curls really drained me. lol... This was actually the pattern I meant to take, though. Instead of just doing 3x8, I decided to shoot for 8,5,5,8 for my curls.

SS PWO Cardio
15 Minute Elliptical Run, Med-High Effort

Evening Bike Ride
20 mile cruise + 10 min. HIIT

------------------

Random Thoughts

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it, does anybody really give a #*&#?

Howard 9
06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Conc Curls are awesome, I love them. Nice bicep work man. Hope the quad is gettin better.

Coke
06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Good sets with the legs, curls and cardio...wish you the best as you raise up.

Noxon
06-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Journal Entry
Saturday, June 9, 2007

Nutrition

Eggs, oats and chicken. Oh my!

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=9)

Exercise

Upper Body Vertical / Calves / Abs / GPP

Stuck with the form and speed discipline today, so all my weights pretty much stayed the same or dropped. Last week I felt like I ramped up weight too quickly on my pull ups and military presses, so this week I toned it down a bit and got in more quality reps.

Pull Ups
+0 x 5
+0 x 5
+20 x 5
+30 x 4
+20 x 4
+0 x 5

Military Press
65 x 10
115 x 5
135 x 4
105 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 4

Simply couldn't eek out a fifth rep at 135 to save my life. >.<

Side Lateral Raises
12's x 8
12's x 8
15's x 8

Last set ended a little sloppy. I had to cheat the last two reps up just to get a decent negative, but I couldn't hold them. I had been holding the contraction prior to that.

Overhead Cable Straight-Armed Pull Downs
60 x 8
90 x 8
110 x 8
130 x 8

I did these instead of lying barbell pull overs. If you're having trouble picturing it, just imagine doing a similar motion to a lying pull over, but instead of a barbell you have a shoulder-width T-bar on a cable, standing with your back against the stack frame and the pulley over your head. I felt like I was able to hit my lats with more weight using this method than with the pull overs. Last week the pull overs made something in my shoulders mighty uncomfortable at the limit of my ROM.

Standing Calf Raises
200 x 10
340 x 5
380 x 5
420 x 5
460 x 5
500 x 5

Weighted Abs
45 x 10
95 x 8
115 x 8
125 x 8

Ab machines suck. This one makes my lower back feel weird and I've already maxed the stack, so next week I'm going to start doing regular crunches with plates on my chest again. I stopped using the plates because it was kind of a pain to stack plates on my chest without a training partner to help. LOL

Knee Raises
3 Sets x 8 Reps

Twist Crunches
3 Sets x 20 Reps x 2 Sides

SS PWO Cardio

GPP
I've been complaining about my static grip strength for a while, so I decided to do some GPP-style grip exercises after I was done with my normal workout today. This was a lot of fun, but in the future I think I will do this on squat and bicep day since I am not doing any heavy lifts that are grip intensive that day and it gives me a day to rest my grip before I need it again.

These exercises were supersetted as paired rounds with short (30 second or less) breaks in between each of the five rounds.

Towel Grip Farmer's Walk
35 lb. Plates x 90 secs
45 lb. Plates x 60 secs x 4 Rounds

Double Plate Pinch Grip Farmer's Walk
2.5 lb. Plates x 60 secs x 2 Rounds
5 lb. Plates x 60 secs x 3 Rounds

I felt a little silly marching around the gym in circles doing the farmer's walk stuff, but it was a fun departure from the usual movements.

Random Thoughts

:micro:

Built
06-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Use a heavy dumbbell on its flat end instead of stacking plates. Try your ab work over a bosu ball this way. I did my crunches last night on a bosu ball with a 70-lb dumbbell on my chest and it worked fine.

Noxon
06-09-2007, 03:24 PM
But bosu balls are for cardiochicas! And indoor kickball games. (Very entertaining for throw-tag rules!!!)

lol.. ok, I'll give it a shot. You haven't failed me yet. :D

Built
06-09-2007, 03:27 PM
It lets you get a greater ROM than lying flat, but is more stable than the swiss ball most people implement for this purpose - a consideration when you're load half your own weight just under your throat!

Noxon
06-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Oops, I was actually confusing the bosu balls for swiss balls. My bad. Kickball with a bosu ball would hurt! Kickball with the swiss balls, now that is entertainment and a half when someone is "tagged" clean off their feet. :D

http://www.nefitco.com/media/standing_lgopt_103102.jpg

Somehow I get the feeling that I should wear my Disco Rob outfit if I come within ten feet of one of these things. lol

My gym has swiss balls, but no bosu balls... But now that I see what you were talking about, I sort of improvise something similar using a step platform and a bunch of folded towels. hehe

Built
06-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Don't even bother with the platform. Roll a couple of thick towels into a tight roll, shove it under the base of your spine, and do them that way. That's the other way I do these. I'm just lazy and the bosu ball is RIGHT THERE.

Plus I love the looks I get when I grab the bosu ball. The guys probably figure I'm getting set for toning class or somthing. Then I set it down in front of the dumbbells, grab a seventy, and do my crunches ...

Noxon
06-09-2007, 04:18 PM
lol, I can see the entertainment factor there.

I feel inspired. The next time I do my farmer's walks, I should do them on a treadmill for the sheer absurdity of it. :D I can just imagine the look on Mrs. Cardio Queen's face when I go marching on the hamster wheel with towels full of plates.

Howard 9
06-09-2007, 06:44 PM
I defintely wanna do some farmer walks, but like you said I think I will look stupid. Nice workout though, keep concentrating on that form.

Noxon
06-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I defintely wanna do some farmer walks, but like you said I think I will look stupid. Nice workout though, keep concentrating on that form.
I hate to get all Nike on ya, but: Just do it! :D The same people that look sideways and snicker will come up to you and start asking questions when they see every vein in your forearm bulging like a mofo and you huffing around on your third lap with the plates in tow. The best reasons, though, are that it is a fun change of pace and an awesome static grip workout.

It definitely makes things a little more interesting. I'm looking forward to doing more of this as part of my weekly routine.

Coke
06-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Damn, you even got some farmer's walks in here, lol...on your way with the millies and all in that effort.

Noxon
06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Journal Entry
Saturday, June 10, 2007

Nutrition

This morning I made some kind of bizarre concoction with cottage cheese, chocolate Nitrean, plain yogurt, Splenda, skim milk and whole oats. It tasted like crap but I ate it proudly. Hahahaha.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=10)

Exercise

Hamstring Dominant Legs / Quad Accessory / Tri's n' Dips

Had a great workout today. The past couple of days I have been drinking my workout shake DURING the workout rather than afterwards, and I feel so much better. I am never going without a dex+protein shake again during my workouts. I've also been better about eating some oats a couple of hours before my workout, which I think also helps with my energy level. These past couple of days I have finished my routine and not wanted to leave! I had to convince myself that doing more farmer's walks today would be detrimental on my cut.

Oh, they were painting the showers today so I couldn't take a shower. That always sucks.:fart: :evillaugh

RDLs
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5 x 3 +Weight +Sets

GMs
95 x 8
115 x 8
135 x 8 +Weight

Kind of settling into a steady progressive incline on both RDLs and GMs. Next week I am going to shoot for 195 x 5 and 235 x 5 x 3 on the RDLs and probably keep the GMs where they're at while I work on not favoring my right leg. Both of these exercises target the stuff in my left leg that I tore up a year ago, and I've noticed that I am subconsciously favoring my right leg when I do the GMs. It's not that it hurts my left leg... I just got so accustomed to favoring my right because it took my left a long time to heal. Even my standing posture is off a little bit, where I tend to put most of my weight on my right leg. Very hard to overcome this since it's not something I really think about.

Leg Extensions
50 x 8 x 2
60 x 8 x 2
70 x 8 x 2 +Weight

Slow n' steady. Quads felt fantastic today, and the bruise cleared up after a day or two this past week. I still can't decide if I really did strain the muscle or if it was just coincidence. I didn't want to take chances with it, though. Still going to squat and pull light next week and just take those slower in general.

Dip Station
+0 x 8
+20 x 8
+40 x 8 +Weight +Reps

Lying Tricep Extensions
55 x 8
65 x 8
70 x 6.5 +Weight -Reps

SS PWO Cardio

Random Thoughts

Thanks to all for the feedback! It really makes it easier to keep at the journal, which has proven to be tremendously useful as far as sticking to my routines. I can officially say that I quit smoking and LOST body fat at the same time. To hell with the status quo.

Coke
06-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Them roman deads and GMs look solid, nice workout overall.

Bob
06-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey Noxon, just checking out your journal.. don't know how I missed another "live free or die"er... Looks like you are in the Lakes/White Mountains region... I'm down state in the Merrimack Valley... on the border. Also a geek...

Anyway.. read thru a bunch of your entries.. welcome back to NH, hope the new town gym is a good one, hope your leg is healing well.. and hey, you've got a lot of advice from Built - gotta love that. She is the best.

Great looking workouts.. should be well along the way to your goals... although I not quite sure about the cutting, seems like with all your activity, you would get some better results with a higher caloric intake...

GL.. and keep it heavy, eat right and rest enough...

Howard 9
06-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Glad your quad is back and good again, nice RDL too.

Noxon
06-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey bear, thanks for stopping by the journal! I have read through bits and pieces of yours and somehow missed the fact that you are in the granite state. I was beginning to wonder if there was anybody else from NH on the boards! Live Free or Die'er indeed. I'm planning on getting that tattooed across my shoulders this summer... I've been waiting my entire life to get it done, wanted to be sure... Never been more so. I love this place and it is so great to be home. And yeah, I'm in the Lakes Region, you nailed that one (Though the Mt Major summit picture is kind of a dead giveaway haha).

As for the cut... Well, I'm not so sure about that one either. I feel like the moment that my diet is stopping me from making gains and feeling good in the gym, I'm done with eating a restricted intake. I am hoping that through newbie gains and smart eating (i.e. getting starchy carbs around my workouts so that I have energy), I will not plateau until I am done ditching the love handles. lol... Right now I am still making gains and feeling good, for the most part.

Noxon
06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Nutrition

My nutrition this week has been ****. I started my new job on Monday, 2 to 3 hours of commuting every day plus 9 hours on the job... I simply haven't had as much time to figure out my food because I have NO routines in place right now. I am waking up 4 hours earlier than I'm used to so that I can get ready for work and commute 1.5 hrs there, and of course my body isn't wanting to go to sleep 4 hours earlier... So I have gotten about 8 hours of sleep all week. I am just so beat right now. I figured either the diet had to go for a little while or my entire workout routine had to go. There is no way for me to manage everything at the moment.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=13)

Exercise

Pulls / Horizontal Upper Body / Calves / Abs

I pretty much went to the gym today so that I could take a hot shower. My parents have no hot water at their house.

I woke up at 4:30 AM today after sleeping for four hours and didn't even get into the gym after work until 7:00 PM. Yeah. One of those days. My form, strength, energy, nutrition, everything was just off today. It's frustrating.

Rack Pulls
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
295 x 1
315 x 1 -Weight -Reps -Sets

I didn't have the energy to keep my core locked for multiple reps after 275. My form was pretty bad at 275 even. I decided to finish out the sets with singles so that I didn't risk hurting my back. Did these on the platform again; they're somewhere in between a rack pull and an OTF deadlift.

Flat Bench Press
135 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 1
225 x 2 +Reps

This could have been worse. At least I got one more rep at 225 than I did last week. Last week, though, I could have done 225 x 3 or 235 x 1; I know it. This week, the second rep at 225 was slow and my form on all sets was not what it should have been.

There is no substitute for solid rest.

One Arm Rows
50 x 8 x 2
60 x 8 x 2
70 x 8 x 2 +Weight

Weight increased from last week. Form was still good on these. I supersetted them with the IDPs....

Incline Dumbbell Press
90 x 8
110 x 8 +Reps
120 x 6 +Weight

These were actually better today. Go figure.

Face Pulls
100 x 8
120 x 8
60 x 8 -Weight

Exhaustion set in, so I did a light set and called it quits on upper body stuff.

Weighted Abs
+0 x 8
+60 x 8
+70 x 8
+80 x 8

Used dumbbells today per Built's suggestion. Love it. Much better than ab machine OR plates.

Knee Raises
BW x 8 x 3

Twist Crunches
Skipped these today.

SS PWO Cardio
Skipped it today.

Random Thoughts

On the bright side, I am loving my job. I am a design engineer with one of the top industrial engineering contingencies in the world right now. In terms of my career, I have never been in a better place or been so interested in what I'm working with. I really hope that my routine falls into place soon. This week has been totally draining so far.

Coke
06-14-2007, 05:27 AM
Hearing that you're happy with your new job is sweet...good chest and back effort.

Noxon
06-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Journal Entry
Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thanks Coke, Howard, bear, BUILT (!!) and everybody else for the feedback.

Nutrition

I did better today. I packed my lunch last night so that I could put a little more thought into it. Going to do the same tonight.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=14)

Exercise

I got 7 hours of sleep last night. Today went a little better in the gym because I had more rest, but I had to rush my sets and cut my workout short because I was running late for my appointment to get my haircut. I really needed a haircut and they were all booked up for every day except today. Bah!

The rushed sets really affected my weights, but I got an intense workout out of it. Even on the squats, I barely sat still for 30 seconds.

Quad Dom Legs / Biceps / GPP

Squats
135 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 4 -Reps >.<
225 x 5 +Weight

I felt like I was off my game and just not in the right mindset for the first four sets. Then after I failed on my fifth rep for set 4, I got pissed off and it sparked something in me that had been missing earlier and all yesterday. I powered through the fifth set and felt much better after that.

Glute-Ham Raises
BW x 3 Sets x 8 Reps

Conc Curls
35 x 8 x 2
35 x 5 x 2

Running low on time, so I cut the biceps off short.... I did some quick Alternating DB Hammer Curls 30 x 8 x 2 almost as an afterthought and then jumped in the shower. I was late for the hair cut and still sweating. >.<

Oh, and I skipped my GPP today, but on Monday I kinda cheated and got in the gym for a little while. All I did while I was there was some HIIT and farmer's walks.

Here is my Farmer's Walks from Monday, supersetted again as paired rounds.

Towel Grip Plates
45 Per Hand x 2 Laps
70 Per Hand x 2 Laps x 2 Rounds
80 Per Hand x 1 Lap x 2 Rounds ++Weight

Plate Pinch
4x5 lb Plates x 1 Lap x 4 Rounds +Rounds @ Weight
4x10 lb Plates x .25 Laps (lol) x 1 Round +Weight

Okay, so I made a huge increase in weight on my towel grips this past Monday. I think the next time I do these, if I am rested, I will be able to walk four plates with towel grip for a full lap.

Random Thoughts

:ninja:

Coke
06-15-2007, 05:31 AM
Fine stuff throughout, ace plate pinching and grip work.

Howard 9
06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice squatting man.

Noxon
06-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Journal Entry
Saturday, June 16, 2007

Nutrition

Probably would have had a better day in the gym if I hadn't gone out drinking last night, but that's OK. A few beers every now and then isn't going to make or break my goals. lol

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=16)

Exercise

Nice and rested today... Gonna keep this short and sweet 'cause it's 90 degrees out and sunny and I'm going biking and swimming. woooo finally some summer weather eh.

Vertical Upper Body / Calves / Abs / GPP

Pull Ups
+0 x 5
+10 x 5
+20 x 5
+30 x 5 +Reps @ Weight
+30 x 4.5

Switched pull up bars and was able to narrow up my grip a bit (bar I had been using forced a wider grip due to the weld points being shoulder width). My RC's and lats thanked me this week.

Mil Presses
65 x 12 x 2
115 x 5
120 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 4.5
135 x 4

I JUST WANT TO MIL PRESS A PPS, DAMN IT!!! Next week it is going DOWN. I mean UP. YEAH. YEAAAAAH!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I should prolly decrease my volume a bit on these, just warm the shoulders up with some light DBs and then jump right into sets or something. I felt a little worn out before I even got close to the 135's.

Side Lateral Raises
Skipped these this week to give my RC's a bit of a break.

T-Bar Lat Pull Overs
100 x 8
120 x 8
130 x 8

Standing Calf Raises / DB Crunches Supersetted
280 x 8 Calves / +0 x 8 Abs
380 x 8 Calves / +70 x 8 Abs
440 x 8 Calves / +70 x 8 Abs
480 x 8 Calves / +80 x 8 Abs

Was feeling nice and rested today, so I did some GPP which is just always fun. The more I walk around with towels in hand the more I enjoy it.

A lap is ~50 yards.

Towel Grip Plates
45 Per Hand x 1 Lap
90 Per Hand x 1 Lap +Weight
100 Per Hand x 1 Lap ++Weight

Sweeeet. Walking 200 lbs was face scrunching, teeth gritting intense. Love it. I don't think I managed to breath but two or three times for the entire lap... Felt like if I let the air out I would just collapse.

Next I want to try some fat bar stuff and start doing some towel pull ups.

Random Thoughts

:ninja:^2

Yes, that's ninja squared. Which is like #$%@ing SUPER NINJA.

Howard 9
06-16-2007, 08:55 PM
I hate to get all Nike on ya, but: Just do it! :D The same people that look sideways and snicker will come up to you and start asking questions when they see every vein in your forearm bulging like a mofo and you huffing around on your third lap with the plates in tow. The best reasons, though, are that it is a fun change of pace and an awesome static grip workout.

It definitely makes things a little more interesting. I'm looking forward to doing more of this as part of my weekly routine.

If my plates have like handles on them would i grip them with that or would I try holding the solid part of the plate?

BTW, nice military pressing even though you couldn't get the 5th rep again, you should def get it next week. Try decreasing the volume a tad on the earlier sets too.

Noxon
06-17-2007, 05:06 AM
If my plates have like handles on them would i grip them with that or would I try holding the solid part of the plate?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Towel Grip Farmer's Walk:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/towelgrip.jpg

For information on plate pinches and other grip exercises, try this article:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par15.htm

Noxon
06-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Journal Entry
Sunday, June 17, 2007

Nutrition

Still not really sticking to the cut diet. Not eating a bunch of junk either. I'm probably right around maintenance.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=16)

Exercise

Hamstring Dominant Lower / Quad Accessory / Triceps

RDLs
135 x 5
205 x 5
235 x 5 x 3 +Weight

GMs
95 x 8
115 x 8 x 2 -Weight

Form checked out better this week. Next week I'm going to do 115 x 8 x 3 and then 125 x 8 x 3, etc.

Alternating Leg Extensions
70 x 8 x 2
80 x 8 x 2 +Weight
90 x 8 x 2 ++Weight

Dips
+20 x 8
+40 x 8
+50 x 8 +Weight

Triceps Extensions
65 x 8 x 3

Random Thoughts

I'm never doing farmer's walks the day before RDLs ever again. My grip was so toasted by the fifth set that I thought I might drop it. >,<

Howard 9
06-17-2007, 04:50 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Towel Grip Farmer's Walk:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/towelgrip.jpg

For information on plate pinches and other grip exercises, try this article:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par15.htm

Thanks, do you just bring your own towels?

Nice workout too even with the grip giving out. Ever think of straps? I am considering them especially since I do forearm work anyways and plan on adding grip work.

Noxon
06-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Nopers, my gym is pretty good about letting me abuse their towels. Your mileage may vary on that, though.

Coke
06-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Good job on this past weekend workouts bro.

Noxon
06-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Journal Entry
Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Nutrition

I've just been eating the past few days and not tracking anything because the 'net has been out at home. I'm not binging or going nuts with it or anything, though. I'm eating all the same foods in roughly the same amounts that I've been eating for the past month, but intentionally increasing my carbs a bit. I'm probably around maintenance or maybe a couple hundred calories under.

My bodyweight is currently about 175 lbs dry. Yes, I gained weight while on my cut diet. ~30 lbs. less LBM than year 2002 == Super newbie gains!

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=19) (N/A)

Exercise

Pulls / Horizontal Upper / Calves / Abs

I bumped my schedule up because I knew I wouldn't be able to get in the gym tonight. I've had a cold the past few days and just felt generally under the weather... I had an OK day in the gym, all things considering.

Rack Pulls
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 3 +Reps
225 x 5 x 3

Okay... So I felt good and super strong this week compared to last, but I had trouble stretching out my back and I felt really stiff which is why I quit on my 315's and dropped way down. I don't think I had enough recovery time in between my RDL's and GM's on Sunday and the pulls. I couldn't work it out by stretching / rubbing, so I figured better safe than sorry.

Flat Bench Press
45 x 10
135 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 2.5
205 x 3

Blah. Very marginal improvement over last week in terms of the ease with which I hit 225 x 2, but otherwise very lackluster.

Next week I am changing my routine so that I don't do pulls on bench day. Especially since I am already freakin' tired on weekdays thanks to work.

One Arm Rows (O.A.R. heh)
55 x 8 x 2
65 x 8 x 2
75 x 8 x 2 +Weight

Incline DB Press
90 x 8
110 x 8
120 x 7.5 +Reps @ Weight

Face Pulls
100 x 8
120 x 8
145 x 8 +Weight

I am running out of magnets to put on this stack.

Standing Calf Raises / DB Crunches Supersetted
Calves: 400 / Abs: 80 x 8
Calves: 400 / Abs: 80 x 8
Calves: 400 / Abs: 90 x 8 +Weight

My calves felt weirdly tight just like my back. Really needed more time to rest (And BETTER rest). Calves on Sat and squats on Sun really toasted my calves. I also went swimming on Sunday and did a bunch of biking.

I know, I know, I am eating more. Don't worry. I just wish I could sleep better during the week. My internal clock is still off.

Random Thoughts

Thank god I get Friday off.

Howard 9
06-20-2007, 07:11 PM
wtf man you scared me I thought it was tueday lol, nice benching though.

Coke
06-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Did fine up in there, especially while feeling subpar.

Noxon
06-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Journal Entry
Saturday, June 23, 2007

Nutrition

Same old same old.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=19) (N/A)

Exercise

Skipped my squat day in favor of getting completely trashed, so today I just resumed my routine on the regular schedule.

Vertical Upper Body / Calves / Abs

Pull Ups
+10 x 5
+20 x 5
+20 x 5
+30 x 5
+35 x 4 +Weight

I believe I can flyyyyyyy,
I believe I can touch the skyyyy-yyyy.
Think about it every night and day,
Spread my wings and fly away.

Military Press
95 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
135 x Fail (Couldn't lock it out)
120 x 4

Well, I'm an idiot. Turns out that I have been doing shoulder presses this whole time, not millies. This week I did actual standing military presses, with strict form and complete ROM. I liked these a lot better than the shoulder presses, despite the weight reduction. Way more involving.

My front and side delts have been toasted for about two weeks now, so I skipped the lateral raises again to give them some more rest. I may eliminate these entirely because I really feel like my delts are getting overtrained.

Cable Pull Overs
100 x 8
120 x 8
145 x 8 +Weight

Modified my ROM a little bit on these so that I am not hitting my front delts, for the same reason that I skipped the lateral raises.

Calves / Abs
400 x 8 Calves / 80 x 8 Abs x 2 Supersets

Gym was closing, had to rush these. Believe it or not, the gym bought a bosu ball, so I did my crunches on that today. Better than towels!

Random Thoughts

:burger: I think I'm pretty much done cutting... Since my intent is to GROW, I think it would be a waste of time to cut way down at this point. I want to continue making gains before I think about cutting below 12%, which is probably about where I'm at right now. I really wanted to take end of cut pictures, but my mom and sister have moved out of the house and my sis took her camera with her. =/ Ah well, I'll take some comparison pictures just as soon as I get a chance.

Built, I think I owe you big time. Your routine and dietary advice / articles / Super Wisdom(tm) has allowed me to make a major transformation in just a month, and I have really gotten off on the right start towards regaining my former strength and physique. Thank you so much for making me feel at home here and providing such valuable guidance. I truly would not have made the progress I have without the community here at WBB; I am looking forward to continuing on and I am grateful to everyone who has provided advice, support and just general encouragement.

--------------------------

So, now that the ball is rolling and I was able to ditch my love handles, my major goal right now is to hit 200 lbs (Another 25 lbs or so LBM) and bench 315 by the end of 2008. I want to get my squat and deadlift up there, too, but I have not been training them long enough yet to know what is or is not a reasonable goal for me. Based on my past training / capabilities and my current dedication, I think a 315 raw flat bench by 2009 is a very reasonable goal.

My other major goals are to accomplish all this without getting fat or sustaining any major injuries / setbacks. In other words, slow and steady.

Howard 9
06-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice job man, good luck on your bulk. I can't wait to go on one. I actually don't like stuffing my face, but i like being able to grow some muscle lol. So your adding some light chest work on saturday too? I was thinking about it.

Noxon
06-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I've actually been hitting my chest twice a week this whole time due to the way I do my dips. I do them sort of like ring dips, with my hands right up against my sides and a really deep ROM that involves my chest. I am going to make a few changes to my routine, mainly because I feel that doing pulls and benching on the same day is really too much.

Baby Got Back, Take 2

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Horizontal Push-Pull / Calves / Abs
Flat Barbell Press 5x5
Bent One-Arm Rows 3x8
Calf Raise 5x5
Weighted Crunches 3x8

Thursday: Quad Dominant / Hamstring Accessory / Biceps
Back Squats 5x5
Front Squats 3x8
Glute-Ham Raises 3x8
Concentration Curls 5x5
Hammer Curls 3x8

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Vertical Push-Pull / Calves / Abs
Pull Ups 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Cable Lat Pull Overs 3x8
Calf Raise 3x8
Weighted Crunches 3x8

Sunday: Hamstring Dominant / Quad Accessory / Triceps
Deadlifts 5x5
Romanian Deadlifts 3x8
Leg Extensions 3x8
Weighted Dip Station 3x8
Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions 3x8

Noxon
06-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Journal Entry
Sunday, June 24, 2007

Nutrition

Tracking calories today to see where I come out on my bulk diet. I'm shooting for about 2800/day to start with, and then I will see if I am gaining weight once I have settled in on that for a little while. Eating the same sorts of foods.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=24) (N/A)

Exercise

Feel so much better in the gym now that I am eating more.

Deads / Triceps Day

Deads
135 x 5 x 5

Since I have not trained OTF deads in forever, I am starting really light and building up to 225 x 5 over the course of 8 weeks. Will post the spreadsheet output in randumb thoughts.

RDLs
185 x 8 x 3

Gonna try these with straps next week. Even after light deadlifts, my grip was so worn out that it was hard to hang onto these for 8 reps at a time with overhand grip. Mixed grip on RDLs just feels weird for me.

Alternating Leg Extensions
70 x 8 x 2
90 x 8 x 2
100 x 8 x 2 +Weight

Dip Station
+30 x 8
+45 x 8
+55 x 8 +Weight

Wasn't struggling at all with these, and I moved up my weight on all sets from last week.

Tricep Extensions
65 x 8 x 2
70 x 8 +Weight

Since I started doing dips first, thats the most I've been able to do for 8 reps. Felt like I had a lot more in me, so I did some quick pushdowns.

Tricep Pushdowns
70 x 8
90 x 8
60 x 8

Ah yes, eating more is spectacular. I'm going to finish this up and then go have a steak sub sandwich.

Random Thoughts

Okay, so I've decided to take it really slow with the deadlifts until my body becomes accustomed to deadlifting again. I also need some time to work on my hip flexibility so that I can maximize my leverage without rounding my back. Attached to this post is a JPEG of the 16 wk schedule I'll be following for my 5x5 deads. Despite the fact that I have a lot of raw strength in my legs and back, I'm trying to approach this as though I have never done a pull in my life. The fact that my form is not second nature to me tells me that I need to practice the movement a lot before I push my limits of strength. Not only would I risk hurting myself, but if I am having to think about my form, then I am not focused on moving the weight and trying to go for a max right now would be pointless.

Howard 9
06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
For hip flexibility do fire hyrdrants which is basically making a motion with your leg like a dog would pissing on a fire hyrdrant lol. Do them on your hands and knees and about 20 times. Really has helped me. Also just swing your leg side to side and front to back has helped. Nice workout though too.

Noxon
06-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the tips Howard. I have really been struggling with hip flexibility, driving me crazy. It was easier when I trained martial arts and I had instructors torquing my legs all over the place. haha... younger then, too.

Coke
06-25-2007, 05:37 AM
In a nice groove and on a roll, about to fly away in here, lol.

Noxon
06-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Now playing: Rage Against the Machine -- Revolver

Nutrition

Been tracking cals and hitting about 2800 on rest days and 3000 on work days from the extra shakes around my workouts. Weight has been steady, which means I am either right around my maintenance, or I am simply gaining slow which is exactly what I want. Gonna see if my weight stays at 175 lbs. for a week or two before I increase cals. I tend to gain weight REALLY easily, so I don't wanna put on a bunch of fat by accident.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=27) (N/A)

Exercise

Good day. Strong day. Happy.

Horizontal Upper / Calves / Abs

Flat Bench
45 x 10
135 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 2
225 x 3 Sweet. Plateau busted... Finally, been what three weeks?

Calves
400 x 8
440 x 8 +Weight @ Reps
480 x 8 ++Weight @ Reps

OARs
60 x 8 x 2
70 x 8 x 2
80 x 8 x 2 +Weight

All sets increased weight + new max on set 3. I did these as antagonist pairs with my IDPs.....

IDPs
50's x 8
55's x 8
60's x 8 +Reps

Upped weight on my first set and finally finished that last set out strong, gonna up the weight on my last set to 65's next week.

Face Pulls
110 x 8
131 x 8
151 x 8 +Weight

16 lbs of mini dumbbells and 5 lbs of magnets on top of the stack... lol. This getup is good for 161 lbs, but to be honest, I probably won't increase these for a little while. Gotta lock down the form at 151 lbs.

Abs
80 x 8 x 3

On the bosu.

Random Thoughts

I'm tired. Sleeeeep.

Howard 9
06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Thats great you got through your bench plateau. Read what you said in my journal and I am glad that the hip stretches are working for you. I know how big a difference it can make cause I had the same problem, I am still working on groin flexiblity too though.

dblockspky
06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
It's probably simple but what are OARs? And great workout and congrats on breaking through that plateau. I know how ****ty of a feeling it is to be stuck at a certain amount of weight and reps for a while. Atleast it was only a couple weeks.

Coke
06-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Nice and varied workout bro.

Noxon
06-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys!

dblock: OARs are just one armed rows. =)

Noxon
06-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Journal Entry
Thursday, June 28, 2007

NP: Silence o.O Gotta fix that, ****.

Nutrition

Today I went to a Chinese food buffet for lunch, and that's all I have to say about my nutrition for today. rofflez.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=28)

Exercise

Squats / Ham Accessory / Biceps

Back Squats
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 5 +Weight

Howard's hip stretches made these go so much better. I got down well below parallel (Not quite ATF, but damn close) and my back felt great and stayed put the whole time. Feeling much more confident on these as the weight goes up.

Don't ask me, but I felt like trying some other squats that I've never done before, so...

Sumo Squats
135 x 8 x 2

Raised Heel Squats
135 x 8

Both were cool. Front squats was the original plan, but the flexibility issues I had with them a month ago have only gotten worse, and I failed miserably at the strap trick, so that's a no go. =/

Single Leg Curls
60 x 8 x 2
70 x 8 x 2
80 x 8 x 2

Haven't done these in forever, but the roman chair was taken.

Conc Curls
30 x 8 x 2
35 x 5 x 2
40 x 5 x 2
25 x 5 x 2

Hammer Curls
25 x 8 x 2
30 x 5 x 2

Random Thoughts

:whazzup:

dblockspky
06-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys!

dblock: OARs are just one armed rows. =)

ahhh I feel like an idiot lol. Good workout today man. squats are looking nice.

Howard 9
06-28-2007, 08:16 PM
lol at buffets, been there done that man lol

Nice squats though, how far away are your feet on normal squats?

Coke
06-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Ace squatting there and good curl set too.

Noxon
06-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys

Howard: I usually do my squats about shoulder width with toes turned out a bit, what I would call a normal/natural stance.

Noxon
06-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Journal Entry
Saturday, June 30, 2007

NP: Sepultura - Refuse/Resist

Nutrition

Last night I had a 14 oz prime rib for dinner... I can really get used to this whole bulking thing.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=5&Day=30)

Exercise

Lat Pull Down Machine
90 x 8
130 x 8
160 x 8

Warm up for pull ups..

Pull Ups
+20 x 5 +Weight @ Set#
+20 x 5
+30 x 5 +Weight @ Set#
+30 x 5
+37.5 x 5 +Weight

Standing Mil Press
45 x 8
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5 +Weight

Niiice :D

I've been feeling like I'm overtraining my shoulders (Front and side delts specifically) so I decided to cut out my shoulder volume today. The result speaks for itself...

Unfortunately, I tweaked my right trap when I was returning the weight. Hoping it passes. Right now I am sore and stiff as hell. I've got some ice on it. Okay, so I couldn't find an ice pack, but I do have some frozen Italian Blend Mixed Vegetables on it. :D

Standing Calf Raises
400 x 8
440 x 8
480 x 8

Abs
80 x 8 x 3

Random Thoughts

Took measurements last night for the hell of it. All these are flexed and on the right side of the body when applicable, taken after a couple days of rest.

Height: Still 5'10". Shocking.
Neck: 16.5"
Chest: 41"
Bicep: 15.5"
Forearm: 13.75"
Waist: 33.5" -.5" since beginning of cut. Dunno about the rest.
Thigh: 24.35"
Calf: 16.5"

Howard 9
06-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Nice pullups man, I'm jealous lol. For stiff muscle I have found those tiger balm patches work really well. I would keep it iced for the first 24 hours though.

Noxon
06-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Trying to keep it 'iced', but I've only got two bags of veggies to work with. LOL... This is sad, I'm walking around in t-shirts that haven't fit me since middle school with a bunch of bagged vegetables jammed underneath. It's so hard to hit that spot!

That's the last time I start my mental celebration before the weight is in the rack. I could have at least strained it during a lift, then I'd feel better about it. But no, I'm like the dope that breaks his wrist by tripping over a crack in the sidewalk. >.<

Noxon
07-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Spent most of today resting and icing. I'm feeling better, still have soreness in my right-hand side of my back. Tomorrow I'm planning on doing some high-foot hack squats and leg presses for a hamstring workout that won't require me to hold a bar.

Howard 9
07-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Trying to keep it 'iced', but I've only got two bags of veggies to work with. LOL... This is sad, I'm walking around in t-shirts that haven't fit me since middle school with a bunch of bagged vegetables jammed underneath. It's so hard to hit that spot!

That's the last time I start my mental celebration before the weight is in the rack. I could have at least strained it during a lift, then I'd feel better about it. But no, I'm like the dope that breaks his wrist by tripping over a crack in the sidewalk. >.<

lol man, what excercise was this on?

Coke
07-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Stats are not bad, actually are good and that's for starters...effort is looking nice.

Noxon
07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Journal Entry
Monday, July 02, 2007

NP: Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Roll Me Away

Nutrition

I sure do love eating. Nutrition has been pretty good, cals about 3,000 a day.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=6&Day=02)

Exercise

Hamstring Make-Up Day / Triceps

High Foot Placement Hack Squats
90 lbs. + Sled x 8 x 2
180 lbs. + Sled x 8

How much does the hack sled weigh? Anyway, I planned on doing some more hamstring volume today, but I really don't like hack squats or leg presses at all. They make my knees feel funny.

Single Leg Ext
80 x 8 x 2
90 x 10 x 2
100 x 8 x 2

Triceps Pushdown
70 x 8
80 x 8
90 x 8

Skullcrushers
65 x 8
75 x 8
85 x 8 +Weight

Random Thoughts

Well, my back/shoulder/neck is feeling quite a bit better. Not going to do any rows or face pulls on Wednesday, and planning a DE day on bench anyway. Also planning on switching things up and doing some flat DB chest stuff instead of incline.

Howard -- The strain happened during mil presses.

Coke
07-03-2007, 05:39 AM
PR on the skulls is sweet...keeping on track with some fine work.

Noxon
07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks Coke =]

I also appreciate you not making fun of me for labeling my journal "Tuesday July 7, 2007" on Monday the 2nd. Not sure what I was smoking, but apparently I'm all out and that makes me sad.

dblockspky
07-03-2007, 06:53 PM
good work man. and I might have to steal the setup of your journal entries. it's easy on the eyes.

Noxon
07-03-2007, 06:56 PM
PM to discuss royalties. :smoke:

;)

Noxon
07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, July 04, 2007

NP: Bolt Thrower - Zeroed

Nutrition

Well, it's gonna be a beer-drinkin', hell-raisin' 4th! What better way to celebrate the birth of a nation than by getting drunk and blowing up a small piece of it!?

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=6&Day=04)

Exercise

Well, I forgot to plan for this, but my wee little gym I usually go to is closed on the fourth, so I was confined to the home gym. I had been planning on a light day anyway, though.

Chest Dynamic Effort

Flat Bench
45 x 20
115 x 10
145 x 10
165 x 10
175 x 10

I think this went pretty well. I won't call it speed bench exactly since there were no bands involved, but my goal was to be as explosive as possible.

Flat DB Press
110 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 8

Random Thoughts

No 'real' pain in the upper back or shoulder today despite all the chest volume. Just the usual "I lift heavy stuff" aches. Planning on resuming training-as-usual tomorrow with squats.

Howard 9
07-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Nice benching noxon, glad your feelin better.

Coke
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Journal format is indeed looking smooth, lol...good chest session.

dblockspky
07-05-2007, 06:35 PM
good bench work man

Noxon
07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Journal Entry
Thursday, July 05, 2007

NP: Aerosmith - Young Lust

Nutrition

No time for FitDay today, deadlines at work. Might be going (back) to Chicago end of month on business. Word to the west side.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=6&Day=05)

Exercise

I Don't Know SQUAT Day / Extra Leg Stuff Because I Can't Squat Worth a Damn / Biceps

Today I squatted to a box 1" below parallel. I learned some valuable lessons from this experience; chiefly, that I still suck at squatting. Yeah, that's pretty much it. I just really suck at squatting and I need to learn to squat properly before I have a snowball's chance in hell of maximizing my squat power.

Touch n' Go Box Squats
135 x 5
185 x 4 -- This is where I realized I suck.
135 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5

By the end of this I was sucking a bit less, but still sucking. I came away from this with some good insight into why I suck and how I can get better... I'll elaborate in randumb thoughts and maybe some of you guys can help me out here.

Raised Heel Close Stance Super Quad Buster Thingy Squats
155 x 8
155 x 8
155 x 8

Did these a couple inches above parallel, maybe hit parallel a few times.

Since I can't manage to squat enough weight to properly work my legs yet, I did some stupid machine crap.

Single Leg Extensions
70 x 8 x 2
90 x 8 x 2
110 x 8 x 2 +Weight

Leg Curls
110 x 8
130 x 8
160 x 8

First time doing double leg curls. Didn't get the greatest contractions / ROM at 160. Should have left it lower.

Conc Curls
30 x 8 x 2
40 x 5 x 2

EZ Curls
75 x 8
95 x 1
95 x 1

Wow... My biceps were freakin' shot, I think because the bar kept slipping off my back on squats and by the end of my sets I was supporting too much of the weight with my arms.

Random Thoughts

No pain in shoulder again today. Had some pain while sitting around at work, but after taking some Advil and moving around after work it went away.

Squat observations:
-- I suck, first and foremost. I need to PRACTICE.
-- At first I was leaning back on my heels too much to get down below parallel. On my set at 185 I actually got 5 reps, but I didn't count the last one cause I just about fell backwards and could have tweaked my back good and proper that way. Which would be really stupid. My toes actually came off the ground for a moment. That's why I dropped the weight all the way back down. Towards the end I was leaning forward a little bit more (But not enough to round the back) and this helped me to keep the weight somewhere in between my heels and my toes. I never had problems with the weight being over my toes too much today.
-- I had constant problems with bar slippage due to the shirt I was wearing and the fact that I had after-sun lotion on me. It also didn't help that I was staying too upright at first. I didn't want to squat shirtless in the gym as that seems kind of rude, but this was a definite eye opener. In the future I think I will squat in a tank top so that the bar actually makes skin contact and I will chalk my traps because the bar slippage was just unreal. After two reps my wrists would be seriously hurting from the weight transfer off my back. This probably also contributed to my poor form today since I've never had that problem quite like that before.

Uh, guess that's it. More practice, chalk the shoulders, tank top not t-shirt, quit leaning so far back into the squats. Comments welcome... I need some serious help and unfortunately I have yet to encounter anyone at my gym who squats and has a clue what they're doing.

dblockspky
07-05-2007, 08:59 PM
what kind of shoes do you wear while you squat? It's still a good effort regardless bro keep it up.

Noxon
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Today I squatted in my Nike Airmax's, which are more or less like cross trainers and pretty flat as far as Nike's go. I noticed that you squat barefoot in your videos -- you think that helps a lot? After I tried pulling barefoot I never went back, but I've yet to squat barefoot. I was actually kind of worried that squatting barefoot would make it harder for me to get below parallel and increase the likelihood that I am off balance. I am still having flexibility issues with getting deep in my squats (As proven when squatting to a low box, 'cause the box doesn't lie or exercise wishful thinking). Definitely not as bad, but they're still there.

dblockspky
07-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh ok, I've heard some people say they like the air max's if you HAVE to go with a cross trainer. Yea I squatted barefoot in those vids but that happened to be a one day thing lol. But I did like the way it felt. I actually think that you might become more stable without shoes. And as far as the flexibility.. Start stretching more, but also try warming up a little before you squat, i.e. treadmille or elliptical. I would of said a bike but the flexibility problem is normally in the hips so when you're biking that's not really loosening the hips up. good luck.

Herandi
07-06-2007, 05:56 AM
NICE chest workout a few sessions ago Noxon, its looking all good in here and yeah we're on for the race to 220 :p

Whats your weight at now??

Noxon
07-06-2007, 01:43 PM
D: I'm planning on trying it without shoes, if not next session then the one after. The Airmax's are pretty flat as far as Nike's go and they aren't too terrible to lift in, but for squatting they are a little squishier than I would like. I'm not feeling so awful today about my session yesterday. I'm actually glad that I decided to squat to the box because I would rather get it right now than be another idiot who quarter squats 3x his bodyweight. I'm just gonna keep practicing and stretching (Been trying to stretch pretty much every day)... I will get it eventually.

Herandi: Thanks man! Right now I'm around 175 to 178 in the mornings, but the scale isn't very accurate so I may be closer to 180. It's been about three weeks now since I went from 1800-2200 kcals/day to 2800-3200 kcals/day. I think I need to cut back a bit. My metabolism is so damn slow... I am gaining weight faster than I want to. So, I guess I've gotten a bit of a head start, but the race is on if you're up for the challenge. hehe

Howard 9
07-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Lol atleast your honest with yourself and not in denial like some people I know who claim they squat 315 and think I am weak to squat like 250. Even though they have probably squatted 3 times anyways. You should try and video tape yourself if you haven't.

Herandi
07-07-2007, 05:26 AM
yeah good luck, i wanna be a RIPPED 210/220 though, which is gonna be hard :D

Coke
07-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Props for following through on the squats, they're difficult but if you keep on them you may actually become real precise or even expert like with the movement - ;)

You're right man, doing them over and over again will get it right. Keep hanging tough.

Noxon
07-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the support guys... I am sure I will get the hang of it. I keep reminding myself that I have only really been squatting for about six weeks, or six squat sessions which is not enough time for anybody to be a squat pro. I have a lot to learn. It is a little frustrating though since my legs have always been my strong point and I am benching more than I squat! lol

Noxon
07-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Journal Entry
Saturday, July 07, 2007

NP: Opeth - Under the Weeping Moon

Nutrition

I am..... CHICKEN BANE!!!!
http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/images/cinema/chicken-run.jpg
YOU CAN RUN, BUT MY LEGS ARE LONGER AND YOU'RE FLIGHTLESS, B1TCHES. GET IN MY BELLLYYYYYY!!!!!

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=6&Day=07)

Exercise

Vertical Plane Upper Body / Calves / Abs

When I got into the gym this morning it was just me and some older lady. She had the radio set to one of those horrid pop-mix stations. I blame this for not setting a new pull-up x5 PR.

Pulls Ups
+20 x 5
+30 x 5 +Weight @ Set
+30 x 5
+30 x 5
+40 x 3 +Weight -Reps
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
+40 x 4 +Reps
Okay, maybe not this week.

In the arrrrmmmms of the angelllsssss....

Are you kidding me? That's the song that came on right after I found out my grandfather died a few months ago. I tried using it for motivation, but no. Just no. Go away, crappy pop-mix station. I hate you.

Standing Mil Presses +Sets
95 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5 -Injuries :)

Felt good doing these, which is nice after the strain last week. I made sure that I brought the bar all the way down to a clean/front squat position before walking it into the rack... Went smoother, no mishaps and no pain in my traps.

Standing Calf Raises
400 x 8
440 x 8
480 x 12 +Reps

Weighted Abs
80 x 8
90 x 8 +Weight (PR)
90 x 6

Random Thoughts

I need a $&#^ing MP3 player.

KingWilder
07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
NICE workout man

great pullups and Standing millies

Herandi
07-07-2007, 02:33 PM
NICE workout man

great pullups and Standing millies

yeah REALLY strong pull ups, you're a machine! ;)

Bob
07-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Dang man... PRs in 3 lifts in one workout... awesome..

Keep it heavy man...
And don't drop those calories just yet... look at all the PRs... it takes good food to do that..

Noxon
07-07-2007, 04:03 PM
King, Herandi, Bear thanks for the feedback guys!

Bear, I think you are absolutely right man. I have never felt so powerful in the gym as I have since I started eating proper, and I always come away feeling good afterwards (Strain last week aside...). This morning when I got dressed I put on a pair of 32" jeans that have been loose on me ever since the cut. I still need a belt to wear them out of the house. I decided before I went to the gym today that I will continue to eat big until these jeans don't fit me. I'm hoping that I bust through in the legs before the waist! Hahaha. It's a real possibility -- the legs are tighter than the waist right now. If I could just learn to squat. :D

I am really hell bent on getting bigger now. I want to go into a powerlifting style routine, but I also want to stick with 5x5 until I have some size and experience to me so that I can really maximize my strength. Like many, I suffer from impatience... At least this journal keeps me honest and keeps me on track.

Howard 9
07-07-2007, 07:48 PM
nice workout man, yeah dude i need to start bringing my ipod more often too. I forgot to bring it today on probably the worst day possible. just a bunch of idiots yelling and laughing real loud the whole friggin time.

Noxon
07-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Journal Entry
Sunday, July 08, 2007

NP: Pantera - Slaughtered

Nutrition

PWO Meal: Nitrean, milk, dextrose, creatine... More milk, and lemon crumb pie. Mmmmm, lemon crumb pie.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=6&Day=07)

Exercise

Deadlifts / Triceps / DE Chest

More godawful music today. I heard Carrie Underwood's song about cheating three times during my workout. THREE TIMES.

Deadlifts
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5

Just sticking to the plan...

RDLs
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Dips
+40 x 8
+50 x 8
+60 x 8 +Weight (PR)

All sets +Weight over last dip session. The PR really drained me, messed up my skullcrushers, but that's OK... Dips > Skullcrushers.

Skullcrushers
65 x 8
80 x 8 +Weight @ Set
90 x 4 +Weight -Reps
90 x 3

Speed Bench
135 x 10
145 x 10
155 x 8

Random Thoughts

I still need a $&#^ing MP3 player.

KingWilder
07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
DUDE, don't diss on Carrie Underwood

haha, she's hot...but seriously, my gym plays the most random/horrible crap...one time they even had N'SYNC playing....

anyway, nice lookin workout...congrats on the PR's

Howard 9
07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Nice workout man, yeah my gym plays the stupidest crap, sometimes it can be ok though, like metallica or something comes on.

Herandi
07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
grats on the dips PR noxon, good job my friend, and yeah you're not gonna get pumped to Carrie Underwood haha...

Coke
07-09-2007, 04:58 AM
No doubt, the playlists now is for shiat and that's any format...workout is looking good though bro.

PRs in the mix are always sweet - :thumbup:

dblockspky
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
good work man. and bring a damn ipod or something with you!

Noxon
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, July 11, 2007

NP: Dimension Zero - Silent Night Fever

Nutrition

Eat big, lift big, get big. So far I've got the eating down pat. :D Now I just need to get my squats sorted out.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=6&Day=11)

Exercise

ME Chest / Horizontal Upper / Calves / Abs

****ing beast mode.

Flat Bench
45 x 20
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 3
225 x 3 (Tie 3RM PR)
235 x 1 +Weight (1RM PR)
245 x 1 +Weight (1RM PR)
255 x 1 +Weight (1RM PR)

Calf Raises +Sets
200 x 15
440 x 12 +Reps
460 x 12 +Reps
480 x 12

OARs
70 x 8 x 2 +Weight
75 x 8 x 2
85 x 8 x 2 +Weight (8RM PR)

Weighted Bosu Crunches
80 x 8
80 x 6 Ouch.
80 x 8

Wow, I had the worst DOMS in my abs and I didn't even realize it until I started crunching. Glad I got my ETS resupply today, that **** was painful. I had been planning on matching my 8RM PR but it just wasn't happening.

Flat DB Press
130 x 8
150 x 6 +Weight (6RM PR)

My chest was just feeling toasted at this point, but that's OK. I tried for a third set but I could not even mount the 75's so I just racked and called it good.

Face Pulls
60 x 20
90 x 8
90 x 8
120 x 8

I was in no hurry to put too much strain on my traps today. I still get stiffness in the mornings so that tells me my right trap is not yet 100%. It hasn't been bugging me during the day or during my workouts though. :thumbup:

Random Thoughts

Thank god I got to hear some rock n' roll today instead of stupid pop songs. Anything is better than Backstreet Boys and Mariah Carey and stuff while working out.

Very happy with my workout tonight. Feeling killer and super strong. I want to go lift more stuff right now. Need to chill.

Howard 9
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Nice benching man, still no ipod? lol

Noxon
07-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Ha, no iPod man. Might pick one up in the next few days when I order a new mouse from Newegg -- I'm still on the fence and I'm about to drop another $500 on kayak stuff.

POWERLIFTER87
07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Congrats on the bench PR. Just get an mp3 player from Kmart. They're like 40-45 dollars and works just fine.

Herandi
07-12-2007, 03:06 AM
yeah great benching there. beast mode haha

Coke
07-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Real impressive day in the gym man.

Noxon
07-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Thanks all for the support.

Nutrition

Settling into a nice routine with packing lunches and eating at work which is really making things easier on me.

Click Here For FitDay Entry (http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Noxon&Year=2007&Month=6&Day=12)

Exercise

I Don't Know SQUAT Day / Quads

ATF Touch n' Go Box Squats
45 x 25
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 5 +Weight
195 x 4 -Reps

Feel like I am improving on these. I did not run into problems like last week, and I was able to apply the things I learned. I ended up not chalking my traps, but did wear a shirt that didn't slide around.

Leg Press
1 pps x 8
2 pps x 8
3 pps x 8
4 pps x 8

Haven't ever done these as part of my routine in recent years, so this was sort of a feeling out process. Definitely wasn't straining with any of these sets. Just nice, controlled, slightly paused reps with an explosive return. I think next week maybe I will try doing 3 pps x 8 and 5 pps x 8 x 3.

That's all folks, short and sweet today.

Random Thoughts

Think I got a pinched nerve or something in my left arm. I have numbness in part of my forearm and in my hand... WTF. It's been like this most of today and got worse after lifting. Don't they say that's a sign of heart failure? lol... Seems a little unlikely given I am 23 and in great health (Just had a check up about a month ago). *shrug*

KingWilder
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Nice short leg day man

as far as the arm thing...sounds like you're about to have a heart attack haha

Noxon
07-12-2007, 07:05 PM
In that case I've been on the verge of a heart attack all day!

Not worried about it... I'm gonna go eat some red meat now and have a beer. Heart attack be damned.

Howard 9
07-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Ha, no iPod man. Might pick one up in the next few days when I order a new mouse from Newegg -- I'm still on the fence and I'm about to drop another $500 on kayak stuff.

Check out sickdeals.com for an ipod if you want to, they got some "sick deals" lol. Anyways nice box squats man, short and sweet.

Herandi
07-13-2007, 03:44 AM
nice workout noxon. Are you changing up exercises every week? and how often are you changing the reps up for high volume low intensity work? I think i need to add variety to my workouts :(

Cirino83
07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
woah first time in skimming through the journal and see a nice PR a few sessions ago. Efforts are looking solid man. Nice work in here.

POWERLIFTER87
07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Nice squats and leg press.

Noxon
07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys, and superwoman. ^^

nice workout noxon. Are you changing up exercises every week? and how often are you changing the reps up for high volume low intensity work? I think i need to add variety to my workouts :(
I make an effort to always do the same heavy compound exercises and in the same rep ranges (Helps with tracking progress). I have cycled in a max effort day on bench press a few times over the past couple of months because I feel like I have enough experience in performing that lift that I can make good use of a max effort session.

Some of the changes in lower body exercises are just a result of me trying to figure out what works best for me. I'm going to change it up AGAIN on Sunday by doing some unilateral hamstring stuff. I think this will help me to balance my legs and strengthen the leg that I am rehabbing, which should help with my deep squatting.

Noxon
07-13-2007, 07:00 PM
On a related note, I am starting to feel like I have finally settled on a good long term lower body routine to use. I think these box squats are going to be good for me to do long term since they pretty much force good form, keep me honest and man... They are taxing. So, Sunday I plan on doing deadlifts and lunges... RDLs are a maybe, but I think I need to focus on unilateral for a bit.

The only other change I have been contemplating is doing palm-in chin-ups instead of curls of any kind. Chin ups would be my only bicep work. Of course, since curls are supposed to be on squat day and for two weeks now I have been too tired and beat up to do any curls, I don't know how I'm going to manage to do chin ups. Oh well, cross that bridge when I come to it next Thursday.

Noxon
07-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Journal Entry
Saturday, July 14, 2007

Nutrition

Gaining about 1 to 2 lbs. a week it seems, which is about where I want to be right now.

Exercise

Vertical Upper / Calves / Abs

Ever since benching on Wednesday I have been feeling like I got attacked by a crowd of angry midgets with ball-peen hammers. I had a really off upper body day today.

Lat Pull Downs
60 x 8
100 x 8

Pull Ups
+20 x 5
+30 x 4
+20 x 4
BW x 5
BW x 5

Standing Military Press
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 4

Standing Calf Raises
200 x 16
480 x 12 +Weight @ Set
480 x 12 +Weight @ Set
480 x 12

Roman Chair Sit-ups]
BW x 12
BW x 12
BW x 12

Random Thoughts

Meh.

dblockspky
07-14-2007, 08:55 PM
good job man. wtf are roman chair sit-ups though?

Noxon
07-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Just picture a reverse back hyper-extension and you've got it.

Edit: Reverse meaning you are facing up instead of down, but ankles still under the pads.

Coke
07-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Nice sessions done back-to-back man.

Howard 9
07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
nice pull ups man, when was the last time you took a week off?

Noxon
07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Journal Entry
Sunday, July 15, 2007

Nutrition

Ho hum, same old same old.

Exercise

Deadlifts / Hams / DE Bench / Triceps

I did this one in my basement because I spent most of today sleeping and the gym was closed by the time I even got out of bed. lol... I was just exhausted, I dunno. I had a good workout tonight though.

Deadlifts
135 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5

Slow and steady... Makes for a boring journal, I know, but I will be pushing myself soon enough on these.

RDLs (Off The Floor)
170 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5

No power rack at home. =[

Walking DB Lunges
35's x 20 Paces
35's x 20 Paces
35's x 20 Paces

The neighbors must think I'm crazy; I did these walking up and down the length of the driveway. These were much harder than I thought they would be.

DE Bench Press
175 x 8
185 x 4**
185 x 8 +Weight
190 x 8 +Weight

** I setup too close to the liftoff point and I was hitting the cups / form all screwy, so I setup again a little further down the bench and restarted the set.

Skullcrushers
75 x 8

Okay... Triceps were feeling like they were going to explode and I don't want to mess up my benching on Wednesday so I called it quits.

Random Thoughts

Better day today. Felt like I really gave my legs a good working over with the combo of deads and lunges, and the benching was strong. Happy with my form on deadlifts, although it's hard to judge with the weight so light.

dblockspky
07-15-2007, 08:32 PM
nice benching man. and don't worry, it's better to get the form down first than to mess yourself up by trying to pull too much weight the wrong way.

Noxon
07-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Howard -- The thought has crossed my mind. Today almost turned into a day off, but then I decided to quit being a pussy and go lift some stuff. I dunno, I don't think I need it quite yet. To answer your question more directly, I haven't taken a week off since I started the journal a couple of months ago, although I have had a few more relaxed sessions as a result of strains and what not.

Coke
07-16-2007, 06:15 AM
That's some super home training dude.

Howard 9
07-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Howard -- The thought has crossed my mind. Today almost turned into a day off, but then I decided to quit being a pussy and go lift some stuff. I dunno, I don't think I need it quite yet. To answer your question more directly, I haven't taken a week off since I started the journal a couple of months ago, although I have had a few more relaxed sessions as a result of strains and what not.

yeah i dont like takin off either so usually i just try and skip a few of the non essential type excercises when I am feeling bad (calves, assecory shoulder work etc). Nice workout though good to see your getting DL form down.

KingWilder
07-16-2007, 04:28 PM
everything in here is lookin' good

keep at it

Herandi
07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
home training at its best my man ;)

Noxon
07-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys ^^

Man, walking lunges pwnz0r my hamstrings in the best of ways. I'm walking around like Arnold............ From Terminator 1............ After he lost all his skin and got stop-animated.

Edit:

Figured I would just do a formal bulk update while I'm at the old journal...

This morning I weighed in dry at a hair over 180 lbs. This is the heaviest lean weight I have had since not long after high school, so I'm very excited about that. I still have vascularity in my arms, front delts and even two big poppers on my lower abs / hips, so I am still pretty lean. I would guess around 13%, but maybe less since I store it poorly and it can be hard to tell. So anyway, I'm happy with the diet. It seems like the initial weight gain has slowed down since my metabolism is picking up / normalizing. Wish I had a camera so I could take some "after cut" pictures before I get too soft, but really... I don't care too much right now. The true before and after will be "small vs. big" not "soft vs. lean", although I still intend on getting real lean again at some point.

So, that's the bulk update. Everything happy on the home front. I am really glad that I decided to increase my cals when I did. I think I was nearing the end of the road on my newbie gains for upper body stuff, and a caloric deficit would have really messed me up.

POWERLIFTER87
07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Nice work. How often do you press? I bench once a week and overhead press once and my triceps are shot from that.

Noxon
07-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Nice work. How often do you press? I bench once a week and overhead press once and my triceps are shot from that.
Thanks PL.

I'm sort of in a transition now with my pressing and trying to find a good balance. I think I'm getting there... I will update my routine post when it's all straightened out. My general plan is to bench heavy on Wednesdays and lighter on Sundays. On Saturdays I OH press and on Sundays I also do full ROM weighted dips. I'm going to do away with all direct triceps work and see if this works for me. My triceps recover very quickly, and this routine hasn't been too bad on them even with the skulls in the mix on Sundays. I know I was complaining on Sunday, but I benched today and my tris felt fine. Now if only I could get my hamstrings to bounce back like that, I would be golden. Squatting tomorrow is going to be hellacious unless some sort of miracle happens tonight while I'm sleeping.

Noxon
07-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, July 18, 2007

N/P: Black Label Society - Stronger than Death

Nutrition

My workgroup had a pizza party today at the office. One of our guys happens to own a pizza parlor in town... We had six 20" pizzas for about twelve people. You do the math! hahaha

Hawaiian pizza owns me. Straight up. But today, I owned it.

Exercise

Flat Bench Press
45 x 20
135 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 5 (5RM PR)
225 x 3 (Tie 3RM PR)

I got a fingertip assist on the fourth rep of my set @ 225. I think next time I go for reps @ 225 I will get 4 or 5 no problem. In fact, I probably would have gotten 5x5 tonight BUT: I wore a stupid polyester workout shirt to the gym today. I wasn't thinking. The damn shirt was so slippery that it screwed up my first few sets because my delts were sliding off the bench before I even brought the bar all the way down to my chest on the first rep. I was TIRED from basically benching flat-backed. Finally I got frustrated and changed into street clothes for 215 and 225, but the damage was done. Oh well, lesson learned. I will never bench in polyester ever again!

Standing Calf Raises
200 x 16
480 x 12
480 x 12
480 x 12

One Arm DB Rows
75 x 8 x 2 +Weight @ Set
80 x 8 x 2 +Weight @ Set
85 x 8 x 2 (Tie 8RM PR)

Weighted Bosu Crunches
60 x 8
70 x 8
70 x 8

Flat DB Press
120 x 8
130 x 8

Face Pulls
90 x 8
100 x 8
100 x 8

Random Thoughts

It's been a long week at work so far. I was really tired going into this workout, so all things considering, I'm happy with the result. Deadlines suck... But on the bright side, of a half dozen engineers working on this special project, I am the only one who is ahead of schedule to meet the Aug 1 deadline. haha... The overtime is taking its toll. Time for sleep! :bang:

KingWilder
07-18-2007, 06:54 PM
wow, nice workout

Impressive rows and DB bench

Noxon
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks man

I think next week I may try having somebody hand me the weights for DB pressing. I swear, mounting that exercise unassisted is ten times more exhausting than actually performing the lifts.

dblockspky
07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
nice work man. yea DBs are a pain sometimes. was that DB pressing today combined or each DB

Coke
07-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Good deal on being ahead of them other cats on the special project at work...fine workout session too.

Bob
07-19-2007, 07:48 AM
It's amazing sometimes what work stress can do for your workouts...
It used to make my workouts stink... but then I learned to eat alot a couple hrs. before the workout and then go into the workout and release ALL my work stress.. make that iron my boss/customer/co-worker and beat the cr_p out of it!!! HAHA.. awesome!!!

Awesome PRs dude... keep it heavy and hard!!

Cirino83
07-19-2007, 09:26 AM
nice work in here lately. congrats with the bench pr man

Noxon
07-19-2007, 04:43 PM
nice work man. yea DBs are a pain sometimes. was that DB pressing today combined or each DB
Thanks brother. I wish that was each DB, but that is combined. lol -- combined PR is 150 lbs right now for DB press.. 260 DB press would be sick, but I think I need to get a 260 BB press first! :D

Good deal on being ahead of them other cats on the special project at work...fine workout session too.
Thanks man! Yeah, as much as I am tired I am really glad that I can reeelax a bit at work. The only thing worse than a tight deadline is a tight deadline and being behind schedule!!

It's amazing sometimes what work stress can do for your workouts...
It used to make my workouts stink... but then I learned to eat alot a couple hrs. before the workout and then go into the workout and release ALL my work stress.. make that iron my boss/customer/co-worker and beat the cr_p out of it!!! HAHA.. awesome!!!

Awesome PRs dude... keep it heavy and hard!!
Thanks bro, means a lot! I try to take it out in the gym as much as I can. My problem lately is just sheer exhaustion. My work days are 5 AM to 5 PM most of the time!

nice work in here lately. congrats with the bench pr man
Thanks man. How about those ****in' Royals, huh.

Noxon
07-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Normally today is squat day, but I decided to take the day off due more to mental exhaustion than anything else. This was the third day in a row that I have missed my exit on the highway coming home from work. Just totally worn out and spacey, definitely in no state to do any heavy lifting.

I have tomorrow off... I am so looking forward to sleeping in as much as possible. Unfortunately, my body is totally wired for 5 AM now. Tomorrow I am finally gonna go pick up my kayak and do some kayaking. The weather is supposed to clear up and it should be a beautiful day out on the lakes. I'm really looking forward to it... The new paddle I ordered got here almost two weeks ago, but I've just been too busy.

Howard 9
07-20-2007, 12:34 AM
have fun out there i need to start doing more outdoor stuff again, break should help you out a lot.

Noxon
07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Kayaking was a ton of fun today. I don't know that the "break" is going to help much. I am so exhausted from paddling all day. LOL

Noxon
07-28-2007, 01:56 PM
So, it's been a while since the last update...

I took an entire week off from lifting, which gave me a nice opportunity to rest up both mentally and physically. Then on Thursday I jumped back into it on my I Don't Know SQUAT day, but I was too busy watching the Red Sox destroy the Indians to update my journal. So, I'm just gonna lump everything into one post...

Journal Entry
Thursday, July 26, 2007

Exercise

I Don't Know SQUAT / Hammy Accessory / Biceps

ATF Squats
135 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)

I planned on taking these a little heavier, but it took me a couple of sets to get my form right after the long break from squats. By the time I got to last set, 195 felt really easy compared to the last time I did 195.

Leg Press
3 pps x 8
5 pps x 8 +Weight
5 pps x 8

I think I used good form on these, but my knees are still a little sore from this workout. Nothing I'm terribly concerned about... Just general soreness.

Glute Ham Raises
BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8

With 2 second hold.

Conc Curls
30 x 8 x 2
35 x 8 x 2

I was glad to be able to do these at around my old strength levels after having all the weird numbness in my left hand and loss of strength in left bicep. I think taking the week break really helped me to recover there.

CGPI Chin Ups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

These are going to be my new bicep exercise. I will add weight to the latter sets next week and ditch curls entirely. I would much rather do a heavy compound that hits the biceps hard than some nancy curls.

Journal Entry
Saturday, July 28, 2007

Exercise

Pull Ups
BW x 5
+10 x 5
+20 x 5
+30 x 5
+40 x 5 (5RM PR)

Pull up PR's always make me happy. I am even more happy considering I weighed in at 187.3 pounds at the gym today, which is almost 25 pounds heavier than I was during my cut when I was first hitting the mid-30's for my pull up 5RM PR's!

Standing Military Press
45 x 10
95 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)
145 x 3 (3RM PR)
145 x 2

Felt good to have a solid session of millies. Last time I did MP I could only get 135 x 4.

Pull Overs
90 x 8
120 x 8
130 x 8

Side Lateral Raises
12's x 8
15's x 8
20's x 8 (8RM PR)

I did these slightly bent over so as to avoid the front delts as much as possible since I tend to blast the fronts with all the pressing. I feel really weak on this movement, but I look forward to bringing up my side delts now that I am eating enough to properly support recovery and growth.

Standing Calf Raises
400 x 8
460 x 12
480 x 12

I toned these down a bit because my knees were so sore from Thursday.

Weighted Bosu Crunches
80 x 8
90 x 8 (Tie 8RM PR)
90 x 8

My abs felt much better today. The past few sessions before I took a break my abs were just feeling totally wrecked. This session was actually an improvement... Last time I got 90 for 8 I could only get 90 for 6 on the last set.

Random Thoughts

So, I'm feeling real good having rested up and now just getting back into the swing of things. It looks like next week I will be traveling on business to Chicago, which is cool because I will get to see some old friends from Chitown, but also kinda crappy because I know that it is going to be difficult or impossible to get in the gym while I am there. On the bright side, the company will be buying me lots of steak, so I know my diet won't slip! Mmmm, protein never tasted so damn good. Wildfire, here I come!

Coke
07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Nice job on those two workouts dude, gotta keep things on track when you get back from Chi-town.

Herandi
07-29-2007, 06:20 AM
glad to see your back noxon, it looks like the rest did you good, real nice PR's there congrats

Noxon
07-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Journal Entry
Sunday, July 29, 2007

Thanks Coke & Herandi

Nutrition

After today I am just going to do away with this section of my journal for a while.

Here is my basic nutrition:
- Eat lots of red meat and chicken.
- Eat lots of eggs.
- Eat lots of oats.
- Eat lots of cheese.
- Eat lots of peanuts and peanut butter.
- Drink lots of milk and water.
- Nitrean, Creatine, Fish Oil, Multi, ETS.
- Eat whenever I feel hungry.
- Repeat until I weigh at least 220 lbs, hopefully by next spring.

Self Abuse

Ham Dominant Lower / DE Chest / Triceps

Deadlifts
135 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5
180 x 5

*yawn* How do people ever stay sane with these programs? I feel like I'm treading water.

RDLs
185 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
235 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)

Walking DB Lunges
40's x 20 Paces
40's x 20 Paces
40's x 20 Paces +Weight

Man. Said it before but I'll say it again, this exercise kicks my ass in the best of ways. Not sure that I want to call this a PR yet.

Dips
+40 x 8
+50 x 5
+60 x 8 (Tie 8RM PR)
+70 x 8 (8RM PR)

Weeee.

Random Thoughts

Damn is it ever hot out today.

Howard 9
07-29-2007, 04:05 PM
nice dips man, if your feelin bored jus switch up your routine.

Coke
07-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Ace walking lunges and deads dude, good deal with the weighted dips too.

Cirino83
07-30-2007, 10:27 AM
nice strong efforts in here man. good work

Noxon
07-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Howard, Cirino, Coke -- Thanks for the support guys, as always. Most appreciated.

Today I found out that I am going to be in Chicago until August 12th. That is a real long time to be away from my gym. =[ I have plans to find a gym out there, though. I'll be set up with a computer in my hotel as well, so I'll be around.

Herandi
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
better keep in touch man ;) good luck with everything noxon

POWERLIFTER87
07-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Deadlifts
135 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5
180 x 5

*yawn* How do people ever stay sane with these programs? I feel like I'm treading water.

Here's my solution for you. You're doing 235x5 romanian deadlift, stop messing around, put 275 on the *****ing bar next time and pull it.

Noxon
08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Heh, fair advice PL. You're right... No doubt, I could and should pull heavy. I'm so chicken**** about it, though. My first day in the gym I was stupid and pulled 355 x 3 and my back felt like **** for a week or two afterwards so I decided to take it slow. I will stop complaining about being bored and either put up or shut up... In this case, just shut up for a few weeks until the program is done.

So... On the road, the gym at this hotel is absolutely pathetic. It's not even worthy of being called a gym. It consists of three cardio machines and a TV.

So, I have had to resort to some "alternative" means of lifting.

Wednesday Aug 1st

Hopping Push Ups w/Clap
4 x 10

Jumping Jacks 4 x 20

Thursday Aug 2nd

Skullcrushers:
Queen Size Bed x 8 x 3 Sets (Est: 100 Lbs)

Snatches:
Coffee Table x 10 x 3 Sets (Est: 55 Lbs)

CG Floor Presses:
Nightstand x 10 (Est: 65 Lbs)

My CG Flat Presses got cut short because I almost knocked my teeth out with the stupid nightstand. It is so hard to balance because it's solid wood and the drawer makes it super lopsided no matter how I hold it, with the front being heavier than the back and top being heavier than the bottom. Oh well.

Floor Lock Outs:
Desk / Credenza x 10 x 3 (Est: 200 Lbs)

So... Those are my workouts so far. We've been working 14 hour days on-site so no chance to think about hunting for a gym. Maybe things settle down next week. Until then, I'm going to be doing walking lunges with 5 gallons of water in each hand and crap like that.

Also, I'm sorry that I have no time to visit people's journals right now. I will get back to providing my awesome commentary ASAP. Much love to WBB.. Rob out.

Herandi
08-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Skullcrushers:
Queen Size Bed x 8 x 3 Sets (Est: 100 Lbs)

LMAO i love it, nice improv

Coke
08-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Helluva practical guy if there ever was one, lol - :D ...no doubt you'll be happy to get back home.

Noxon
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Coke, Herandi -- Thanks guys!

Tuesday Whatever date it is...

****, just realized it's my mom's birthday tomorrow. Hm...

Well, anyway.

Walking Lunges:
Coffee Table (Overhead) x 20 Paces x 3 Sets

Skull Crushers:
Queen Sized Bed x 8 x 3 Sets

Pool: Sprint Laps
2 Laps x 10 Sets

Done at about a 1:3 sprint:rest ratio.

Ugh... 400 unread e-mails. Going to bed before I'm here all night.

Can't wait to get home and hit the gym.

Herandi
08-08-2007, 04:31 AM
when are you back home noxon??

Noxon
08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Perhaps Monday... I'm not sure. They're talking about sending people out here next week since we aren't done with the project. I could use a break, though... We've been working 96 hour weeks since we got out here.

Noxon
08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow. It feels GREAT to lift something other than furniture!!!

Journal Entry
Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Self Abuse

Easing back into things with the 5 x 5 format.

Flat Bench
45 x 20
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 4 -- Probably had 5, but no spotter.
215 x 3 -- Probably had 4, but no spotter.

Meh.

OARs
70 x 8 x 2
75 x 8 x 2
75 x 8 x 2

Standing Calf Raises
360 x 12
420 x 12
440 x 12

Incline DB Press
50's x 8
55's x 8
60's x 8

Face Pulls
100 x 8
120 x 8
120 x 8

Random Thoughts

So, for the two weeks that I was in Chicago I was off all my supplements... So this workout was without creatine, without ETS, without proper protein supplementation for a while, etc. I felt like my upper body strength suffered a bit for lack of all those things. I also came back from Chicago weighing 183 lbs, down from 187. I think it was mostly water weight from being so dehydrated. So... No PR's today, which sucks, but I had a pretty good workout. It felt good just to hit the iron hard again and not injure myself in the process.

------------------------------------

Journal Entry
Thursday, August 16, 2007

Self Abuse

I Sorta Know SQUAT Day / Ham Accessory / Biceps

ATF Touch n Go Box Squats
135 x 5
185 x 5
195 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)
205 x 5 (5RM PR)
215 x 5 (5RM PR +20 LBS.)

Squats felt great today. I think these suffered less from the lack of creatine since I'm still sort of learning to squat and finding my limits.

Leg Press
3 pps x 8
5 pps x 8
5 pps x 8

No change... Gotta increase these next time. Knees feel better after this session than the last time I did the back squat / leg press combo.

Glute Ham Raise
+35 lb. DB x 5
+35 lb. DB x 5
+35 lb. DB x 5

Close Grip Palm In (CGPI) Chin Ups
BW x 8
BW x 8
+10 x 5
+20 x 5

Random Thoughts

Good workout. I gotta get some maltodextrin to mix in my workout and post workout shakes. The straight dextrose has me feeling hella bloated...

So... Feels great to be back in the gym. Unfortunately, my tickets are already bought... I am going BACK to Chicago this coming Monday for another week. Damn it. =/

Oh, I forgot to mention, today at the gym I weighed in at 190 lbs even. First time I have weighed in at or above 190 since I was a fat ass... First time I weighed 190 lean since high school. Happy.

KingWilder
08-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Nice lookin' workouts even though you were "dehydrated" haha

Herandi
08-17-2007, 04:26 AM
I Sorta Know SQUAT Day

i think it is YOU who is the writer noxon! and i always preferred weights to furniture myself :D. solid workout especially because of the break. Bench still looks good considering you weren't on any supplements. Nice squat pr! Leaving on monday? don't go! who will be left to boost my hulk sized ego??

Coke
08-17-2007, 06:39 AM
See you're back to it, lol...solid efforts back-to-back man.

POWERLIFTER87
08-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Great squat PRs and nice benching. I've heard so many people I've talked to recently say supplements make such a difference. Does it really make that much of a difference, b/c I don't use any?

Noxon
08-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Nice lookin' workouts even though you were "dehydrated" haha
Thanks man.

i think it is YOU who is the writer noxon! and i always preferred weights to furniture myself . solid workout especially because of the break. Bench still looks good considering you weren't on any supplements. Nice squat pr! Leaving on monday? don't go! who will be left to boost my hulk sized ego??
Thanks. Weights > Furniture, fer shure... I'm only going to be gone for 1 wk this time!

See you're back to it, lol...solid efforts back-to-back man.
Thanks Coke, feels good to be back even if it is temporary.

Great squat PRs and nice benching. I've heard so many people I've talked to recently say supplements make such a difference. Does it really make that much of a difference, b/c I don't use any?
Thanks PL. It's an interesting question... I think supplements are hyped up way too much. Between my crappy habits in Chicago (Caffeine out the ass, alcohol every night, no water to speak of...) and the lack of supps I only lost 10 lbs on bench. Hardly anything to write home about.

One thing I will say is that the DOMS without ETS is a major difference for me. That's the one that really stands out. With ETS I hardly feel sore the day after heavy lifting, which is nice since I am always doing back to back workouts. Without the ETS, the soreness is a bit more pronounced... But more than anything, it just lingers instead of going away quickly.

Noxon
08-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Journal Entry
Saturday, August 18, 2007

Self Abuse

Vert Push-Pull / And / Nothing / Else

Pull Ups
+0 x 5
+10 x 5
+20 x 5
+30 x 6
+45 x 5 (5RM PR)
+45 x 1 (6 Second Negative -- "WINGS. WINGS. WINGS.")

Strict Standing Mil Press
95 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)
145 x 4 (Tie 4RM PR)

So painfully close to the fifth rep... Next time.

Side Lateral Raises
20's x 8
20's x 5
20's x 5
20's x 5

Random Thoughts

Missed my #$*(&#$*(&@)(* appointment to get my haircut. Gym > haircut.

POWERLIFTER87
08-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Great PR on the pullups. That's my goal by next year to do some reps with a 45lbs. plate.

Herandi
08-18-2007, 05:42 PM
nice pull ups PR nox, how'd you like the standing millies, you prefer them over seating millies??

Coke
08-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Good job with the pullups and shoulder presses man.

Noxon
08-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Great PR on the pullups. That's my goal by next year to do some reps with a 45lbs. plate.
Thanks PL. I'm sure you will hit that goal no problem.

nice pull ups PR nox, how'd you like the standing millies, you prefer them over seating millies??
Thanks H-man. I like them a lot more than seated presses. Straining to max out a standing OH press set is one of the most intense experiences I've ever had in the gym. I start shaking like I'm having the world's greatest fake orgasm. It's fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Just don't drop the weight on your head, right o.

Good job with the pullups and shoulder presses man.
Thanks Cokeman.

Noxon
08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Journal Entry
Sunday, August 19, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Weighed in at 190.2 lbs. today while at the gym, up 0.2 lbs. from Thursday.

Self Abuse

Had to abbreviate this workout, would have been running late to go see my sister otherwise.

Deads / DE Chest / Tri Accessory

Deadlifts
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 3
275 x 2
295 x 1 (1RM PR)
315 x 1 (1RM PR)

Good enough for day 1 heavy deads. I feel like I have a lot more in me but I'll take it at about +5 lbs per session for now. Felt good to get the 3 pps up fast and with little strain. Felt good to actually feel like I'm deadlifting and not doing hindu squats with a barbell in my hands. lawl, thanks PL for the motivation.

Dips
+60 x 8
+70 x 8 (Tie 8RM PR? Maybe it's +75)
+80 x 6 (6RM PR)

Really wanted the 8RM PR, oh well. Next time.

Random Thoughts

Feel like I am getting pulled in so many directions with all this travel and only having a few days off at home over the past month. It's like the day off comes and it is already gone because I'm so busy. Really wish I had had some time for walking lunges and DE bench work today. Oh well.

Kong
08-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Dips are lookin strong. I did em for the first time other day and triceps felt amazing after. I dont do em with weight yet though as im just over 240 at about 28% Lotta extra weight to dip

Coke
08-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Super stuff with the dips and deads bro.

Herandi
08-20-2007, 07:56 AM
nox those dips are MONSTEROUS, nice work

edit: nice deads too :D

POWERLIFTER87
08-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Much better on the deadlifts. Great work on the 315. Very nice dips as well.

Noxon
08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
PL, H-man, Coke-man, Kong-man -- Thanks.

So this time in Chicago I am more prepared. I brought my ETS and my Creatine, assuming they didn't confiscate it. I haven't checked my bag yet. I also printed directions to Planet Fatness where I have a reciprical membership, so I will be going there to workout on Wed and Thurs I HOPE! It's only about 20 mins from my shmotel.

POWERLIFTER87
08-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Planet Fatness...LOL...I think I'd look skinny there.

Noxon
08-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Planet Fatness doesn't have a scale because scales lead to judgement.

Self Abuse

This workout sucked. Why? Let's see. There are no barbells at Planet Fatness (They might make noise or injure somebody). In fact, the only way I could bench was using some kind of stupid smith machine type "multi-press" station. Oh and the dumbbells only go up to 75 lbs, I guess to discourage people from getting too strong, since it might make others uncomfortable if you're a great deal stronger than them.

ME Bench
Bar x WTF... I went to bench the bar and it was so light that just for fun I threw the bar up to the top of the smith rack and then caught it when it came back down.

Bar + 90 x 10
Bar + 140 x 8
Bar + 180 x 5
Bar + 205 x 5
Bar + 210 x 5
Bar + 220 x 3
Bar + 230 x 2
Bar + 240 x 1

I THINK the smith machine bar was 25 lbs. I really don't know. I stopped here because I was afraid of hurting my wrists while unracking the smith bar from its stupid hooks. If that was a barbell it'd be a +10 lb. 1RM PR abd +20 lb. 3RM PR... lol.

It is really frustrating to bench on a smith machine... A few times I didn't line myself up very well with the rack and had pain in my elbows from the stupid constraint being placed on bar travel.

OARs
65 x 8 x 2
75 x 8 x 2
75 x 8 x 2

Some Weird Calf Machine
220 x 12
220 x 12
220 x 12

That's the stack. My knees are sore from this ******ed machine... It's like a calf/ankle rotator.

Incline DB Press
45 x 8
55 x 8
65 x 6

Face Pulls
90 x 8
120 x 8
100 x 8

"Ab Curl" Machine
180 x 8
180 x 8
180 x 8

Stack...

Random Thoughts

Felt dead by the end of my workout since Planet Fatness doesn't have any water fountain and I couldn't bring myself to pay $4 for a Gatorade or whatever it was. My PWO shake was a 16 oz. ribeye and double serving of sweet potatoes.

PL... I don't think they would know what to make of you. Girls don't lift, in case you haven't heard. They run on treadmills endlessly and then do "feel good curls" with 2.5 lb dumbbells. Sometimes both at the same time, apparently. I was there for 1.5 hours and almost half of the people on the cardio machines were on the same machine when I got there and when I left. There were so many damn curl jockeys I couldn't even count them all. Half of the weight lifting area in the gym is basically dedicated to curl jockeys, with the other half being the smith machines. Then there's a nautilus type machine for every freakin' thing imaginable. A NECK FLEXION MACHINE... WTF. Unbelievable. I really have a greater appreciation for my little gym now.

I am not going back there tonight. I refuse to squat on a smith machine, it's ****ing stupid.

Coke
08-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Wow man, that gym don't have barbells and no water fountain, etc...doing the best you can up in there.

POWERLIFTER87
08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow...a gym without barbells... That's a new one. At least my gym has barbells, even though they are pretty ****ty and I've permanently bent a good deal of them. Nice work with what you had.

Herandi
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Planet Fatness doesn't have a scale because scales lead to judgement

this actually made me lol. having no barbells sucks, just don't outgrow the dumbbells!

Girls don't lift, in case you haven't heard. They run on treadmills endlessly and then do "feel good curls" with 2.5 lb dumbbells. Sometimes both at the same time, apparently.

lmfao. Noxon i feel sorry for you man, i've been to places like that...

nice workout considering the situation. This post really made me laugh outloud for like 10 mins haha

Noxon
08-25-2007, 04:02 PM
lol.. thanks guys and gal. It was definitely an eye opener to see all these people without the slightest clue of how they should train, but it's no small wonder when the gym they go to is staffed by high school kids and discourages all use of free weights.

Noxon
08-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Journal Entry
Thursday, August 30, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Weighing in around 190 -- forgot to weigh myself on the accurate scale at the gym today. Think after I rehydrate now that I am back from the trip I will have gained a pound or two.

Self Abuse

Once again, good to be back in what I would call a normal gym. My trip got extended so this is my first workout here in a while.

Hernia Day / Biceps

ATF Touch n Go Box Squats
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 4 (4RM PR)
225 x 2

I feel good about these squats... Just about a month ago I was struggling to get 195 x 4 touching on the same exact box, so that's quite an improvement.

I didn't actually get a hernia today. lol

Leg Press
Sled + 360 x 8
Sled + 450 x 8 (Tie 8RM PR)
Sled + 500 x 8 (8RM PR)

CGPI Chin Ups
+0 x 8
+10 x 8
+20 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)
+20 x 1 (6s Negative)

Ran out of time. I like how these are working out as a functional biceps exercise. Beats the hell out of curls. Granted, I won't be wowing anyone with my biceps any time soon, but I'm all about functional strength right now.

Random Thoughts

Feeling good about how my leg strength is coming along. I am really starting to feel like I am using both of my legs again instead of heavily favoring the right. I know I still favor it, and it's something I work on every time I have a leg session... But it is definitely WAY better than it was. I still have to concentrate on pushing with both legs at the same time to make it happen... But I think in due time it will become second nature again. My left knee feels great and there is no real reason why I should favor my right other than force of habit.

Coke
08-31-2007, 05:32 AM
Them squats and leg presses are looking smooth dude.

POWERLIFTER87
09-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Awesome legs day. Great work on the PRs, especially after the break.

Herandi
09-01-2007, 02:05 PM
nice workout with a nice amount of pr's. 30 lb improvement in 1 month on the box squats is great progress, nice work nox

Noxon
09-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Journal Entry
Saturday, September 1, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Forgot to weigh myself again. I'm getting bigger, stronger and fatter, so I must be doing something right. lawl

Self Abuse

Vert Day / Core

Pull Ups
+0 x 5
+10 x 5
+20 x 5
+30 x 5
+45 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)
+45 x 1 (6s Negative)
+50 x 2 (2RM PR lolwtfbbq)

Didn't really push the 50 set as hard as I could have, was feeling some discomfort in my right elbow and the 45 sets totally drained me.

Standing Strict Mil Press
95 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)
145 x 3

Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns
100 x 8
140 x 8
140 x 8

Side Lat Raises
20 x 8
20 x 8 (Tie 8RM PR)
25 x 5 (5RM PR)

Improved on these since last time.

Weighted Bosu Crunches
70 x 8
80 x 8
90 x 8 (Tie 8RM PR)

Trap Bar Shrugs
150 x 8
220 x 8
220 x 8

60 lb. trap bar pulled from shin height.

Random Thoughts

Fun workout, enjoyed throwing in the shrugs to the mix.

Coke
09-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Ace pullups, shoulder presses and all dude.

Herandi
09-03-2007, 09:19 AM
pull ups and standing millies looking really strong nox. You bulking now then?? whats your bf % at?

Noxon
09-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys.

Yes I am bulking (Actually, been bulking for about two months). As for body fat, the best I can do is use a waist-height calculator right now...

Height: 5' 9.5"
Weight: 192 lbs.
Waist: 34.5"

Calculated BF%: 15.1%
Calculated LBM: 163 lbs.

Seems about right, I guessed 15% based on my definition. So, looks like I've gained about 10 to 12 lbs. of lean mass so far.

Edit: I should say that's how much lean mass I have gained since I started lifting a few months ago, not just on the bulk. I actually gained some mass during my cut, I guess due to muscle memory / cell volumization (I formerly weighed in around 190 to 200 lbs during heavy lifting in high school). On bulk alone it's about 8 lbs lean mass.

POWERLIFTER87
09-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Very nice weighted pullups. Trap Bar is awesome. I've only gotten to use one once ever. I wish my gym had one.

Noxon
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah trap bar is sweet! That's the first time I've ever used one. The angle really hits the traps harder than I would have thought. Anyway, I see all these people doing heavy shrugs and they're all a lot stronger than me... So I figure there must be something to it. haha

Herandi
09-03-2007, 02:17 PM
ah ok, bulk seems to be going well then. What's your target weight before you cut?

Noxon
09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Well, my original goal was about 180 lbs of LBM (About 10 to 15 lbs of LBM away right now). Bottom line, though, is that it depends on how I feel about myself. I'm a pretty superficial guy, so the day I look in the mirror and see myself as getting pudgy is the day I stop bulking. I've been fat once, don't want to ever go back to that even if it means I lift a little bit less.

Edit: I think that it's going to take more than one bulk to get to 180 lbs LBM. The way things are headed, by the time I hit 200 to 210 lbs (About 170 to 175 lbs of LBM) I will probably be feeling pudgy, so I will cut... Then I will probably drop a few pounds of LBM and have to make it up on the next bulk. The second bulk, I plan to get up around 185 to 190 pounds of lean body mass with the expectation that I might lose as much as 10 pounds of LBM getting really lean.

Noxon
09-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Journal Entry
Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Biggie Size Me

I weighed in at ~193 pounds on my home scale which probably means close to 195 pounds on the gym scale which is accurate to 1/10 pound. Getting BIGGER!!!!

Self Abuse

Worked out at the home gym today so exercises were somewhat limited.

Horizontal Day

DE Speed Bench
75 x 10
135 x 8
185 x 8
195 x 8 (8RM PR)
205 x 8 (8RM PR +15 lbs.)

5 Rep Max Bench
225 x 5 (5RM PR +10 lbs.)

What a great day for the bench. It felt really good to nail 225 x 5 after failing a couple of times for stupid reasons.

Bent Over BB Row
135 x 8
145 x 8
155 x 8

Never done these but it is such a pain for me to make heavy dumbbells with my DB set at home so I figured I would give it a try. I like them, but I think I will stick with OARs when I can.

DB Conc Flies
35's x 10
25's x 10
25's x 10

Random Thoughts

HAMBURGGGEEERRRRR :burger: :burger: :burger:

Coke
09-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Good deal on staying in control with the diet...nice session at home man.

POWERLIFTER87
09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Awesome benching. Congrats on all the PRs.

Noxon
09-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Journal Entry
Friday, September 7, 2007

Coke, PL -- Thanks for the kind words.

Biggie Size Me

I didn't eat enough yesterday. I had a late night at work and had a late appt. to see an apartment which threw everything off. I made up for it today. :burger:

Self Abuse

Deads / Lunges / Core Stuff

Deadlifts
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5 (5RM PR)
295 x 2 (Tie 2RM PR)
315 x 2 (2RM PR +20 lbs.)
335 x 1 (1RM PR +20 lbs.)

Walking DB Lunges
40's x 16 Paces
45's x 16 Paces
45's x 16 Paces

Core Supersets

Suspended Crunches w/25 lb. Plate Behind Head
?? x 8
?? x 8
DB Side Bends
75's x 8
75's x 8

Random Thoughts

So tomorrow I am signing the lease on a new apartment. Moving down south to Portsmouth to be closer to work (and play). I'm gonna miss this gym. Gotta find a good one in the Portsmouth area!

Oh, and I realize I don't usually deadlift until Sunday. I am traveling to Chicago again on Sunday for another f u c k i n g week out there. Sigh.

Bob
09-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Great looking workout Noxon... congrats on the DL PRs..

Looking back @ your Wed. workout... why so many reps for DE Speed? Typical is about 3 reps...

Keep lifting heavy...

Noxon
09-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks bear. How is your bicep doing?

On bench stuff, I really don't know. I think somewhere along the line I picked up on somebody doing high reps for their DE stuff and just stuck with it. I know I did waaaay too many sets during that workout. I thought that even right after I finished and counted the reps (47 total presses, yikes). I just got super psyched up that day and did too much... Dunno. The whole day I was thinking about benching. So addicted.

Coke
09-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Super workout bro, serious stuff with the deads PRs.

POWERLIFTER87
09-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Great PRs on the deadlift. How easy was the 335?

Noxon
09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks PL. I hate to call 335 easy, because for all I know I might fail miserably with another 20 pounds on the bar. That said, 335 was very quick and I was able to pull it with perfect form. Core and shoulders stayed tight and locked in place for the initial drive off the floor and I had no trouble locking it out. The higher rep ranges actually felt much harder earlier on in the sets. It seems like my lower back fatigues a lot faster than my legs, so doing 5 reps with weight is pretty hard compared to pulling a heavy single. I don't wear a belt for my deadlifts or squats. My back will get stronger, though... Just gotta keep pullin'.

Herandi
09-18-2007, 08:24 AM
grats on the deadlift Pr nox, keep it up!

Noxon
09-23-2007, 06:30 PM
First of all, sorry that I haven't been around on the boards lately. I haven't had much free time to do anything lately, including workout. :( I did sneak in a couple of workouts this weekend which I am going to stick up here for the sake of keeping track of things.

Journal Entry
Friday, September 21, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Due to my recent inactivity in the gym (What gym? I don't even have a gym membership right now...) I've tried to cut back on what I'm eating. Looking softer, still just as strong or stronger though. Weight steady around 190 to 195.

Self Abuse

Horizontal Upper

Flat Bench
135 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 5
225 x 5 (Tie 5RM PR)
235 x 5 (5RM PR)

Barbell Rows
155 x 8
165 x 8
175 x 5
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 2

PR kinda sorta?

DB Fly
35's x 8
35's x 8
35's x 8

Random Thoughts

Need to find a gym.

Journal Entry
Sunday, September 23, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Eating too much over the weekend while I'm at home. Oh well.

Self Abuse

Randomness

Deadlifts
135 x 5
205 x 5
255 x 5
300 x 2
300 x 1
205 x 5

These were really hard because at home I don't have straps or chalk and the basement is cold so my bar sweats like crazy in my hands and there's hardly any grip left on the damn thing. Excuses, I know.

BB Shrugs
205 x 8
205 x 8
225 x 8

Supersets...

Walking DB Lunges
35's x 16 Paces
35's x 16 Paces
Pullups
BW x 10
BW x 10

My grip was just shot at this point so I quit. Damn forearms are killing me right now.

Random Thoughts

Need to find a gym x 2. Oh, and tomorrow I fly back to Chicago. I'm told by my bossman that this will be the last trip. Thankfully.

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/70a796e4-9f55-472d-9982-3b7a2cc9bf53.jpg

3 - 0 BABY!!!!

Coke
09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Both session weren't bad dude.

Herandi
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
i should hope its the last chicago trip nox! missing gym for work... c'mon man what's that about? ;)

Benching looking real good nox nice PR. Shame about the lack of chalk and straps for the deads. I'm still so weak that my back gives in way before my grip does, so i think i'll be ok without chalk still for a while :p

Noxon
09-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Coke, Herandi -- Thanks.

Journal Entry
Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Trying to eat lots of meat while I'm on the road and watching the carbs... Just not watching the carbs as closely as I could be. lol

Self Abuse

Quad Dom Legs / Vert Upper / Core

A really weird mix of movements, I know. This is a Planet Fatness workout so I just picked whatever movements I could do that were mostly free-weight and didn't involve my chest or hams which are still toast from the weekend.

Standing DB Arnold Shoulder Press
35's x 8 x 2 (Alternating)
45's x 8 x 2 (Alternating)
55's x 8 x 2 (Alternating)
65's x 8 (Doubles)
70's x 3 (Doubles)
75's x Miss (Doubles)

I managed to hang clean the 75's and get them up most of the way but I just could not lock it out for the life of me. I almost knocked myself in the head. lol

Smith Standing Calf Raises
115 x 8
205 x 8
285 x 8
285 x 8
335 x 8

Smith Squats
115 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 5
255 x 5

"Ab Curls"
187 x 8
187 x 8
187 x 8

Wide Grip Pull Ups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Lat busters fo sho.

Leg Press
340 x 8
430 x 8
520 x 8
570 x 8 (8RM PR +20 lbs.)

Took me a couple minutes to stand up after that last set. I have no clue how you dudes squat that much weight, even once or twice.

Face Pulls
90 x 8
110 x 8
130 x 8

Random Thoughts

So fried. Felt like it was a really good effort today. Would have set more PR's if the movements were consistent with what I've been doing, that's for sure.

Coke
09-26-2007, 05:44 AM
Props for doing what you can while you can my man - :thumbup:

Herandi
09-26-2007, 06:43 AM
ridiculous leg pressing man! nice pull ups too. wasn't it you who used to tell me that the wide grip on pull ups can mess with your shoulder? ;)

Noxon
09-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys

wasn't it you who used to tell me that the wide grip on pull ups can mess with your shoulder?
Ha, guilty as charged!

I would still recommend against it. I didn't have any other option at this particular gym, and I think non-weighted wide grip pull-ups are pretty safe for me considering I am repping +50 lbs. with shoulder-width grip.

Lumiel
09-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Good progress bud. So when do we get to see progress pics?

Noxon
09-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for dropping by Lumiel.

Progress pics when I work up the muster to tackle two months of UD 2.0. :) I'm probably up to about 17% BF now and I have lost most of my definition. I'm planning a vacation for December so starting in November, which conveniently marks the end of my business travel schedule, I'm going to start a strict UD 2.0 regime to shed some of this fluff and show off my newly acquired mass.

Lumiel
09-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Have a link to where I can find out about UD 2.0? I'm planning on cutting around the same time. Although, I'm at 24% bf and have to drop about 35 lbs in fat.

Noxon
10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Woah, I feel like I just stepped into an episode of the twilight zone. I know I posted my last workouts... I remember writing it, but I guess I never got past previewing it! Well, I'll just do a double workout post.

First, of course, thanks to everyone for checking out my journal, leaving props and kind words, fueling the fire.

@Lumiel: UD 2.0 is a book written by Lyle MacDonald. As of now I don't own the book or know of a link to download it. If anybody has a link to a PDF of the book (Or just a synopsis of the UD 2.0 program) that would be awesome and helpful.

Journal Entry
Sunday, September 30, 2007

Biggie Size Me

Back home, got a week's vacation and no access to gym... Easy access to food. Lots of food. lawl

Self Abuse

Horizontal Push Pull

BB Rows
155 x 8
185 x 8
205 x 5 PR
205 x 5
205 x 3
205 x 3

Flat Bench Press
135 x 10
205 x 10 PR
225 x 7.5 PR

Well, I really wanted that 8RM PR. I think I would have got it if I hadn't lost my stride on the 6th rep and had the weight drift a little too far down my chest. Missing a heavy PR at home is no fun... Luckily the floor in the basement is poured concrete so I just dumped that bitch off my chest. It will be mine... Next time.

DB Curls
35's x 8
35's x 8
35's x 6

I know I am always making fun of curls, but it's time to face facts... My biceps are completely underpowered and undersized compared to the rest of me.

Crunches w/ 25 lb Plate Behind Head
3 x 8

--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------

Journal Entry
Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Biggie Size Me

I am eating too much. I hate sitting around the house... I really need to get moved into my new place. Anybody wanna come help? lol

Self Abuse

Posterior Destruction

SLDL + Shrug/Upright Row Supersets
135 x 5 SLDL + 5 Shrugs
205 x 5 SLDL + 5 Shrugs
205 x 5 SLDL + 5 Shrugs
225 x 5 SLDL + 5 Shrugs PR
225 x 5 SLDL + 5 Shrugs

These weren't really shrugs or upright rows... Somewhere in between. Basically it's a shrug with a small upright row at the end of it with the focal point being the contraction in the traps, if that makes any sense.

Walking DB Lunges
45's x 16 Paces
45's x 16 Paces
45's x 16 Paces

This may be a PR. I am too lazy to check... It was hard either way.

Standing Arnie DB Shoulder Press
45's x 8
45's x 8
45's x 8

Coke
10-03-2007, 05:45 AM
There's a few PRs in those efforts, good stuff - ;)