PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift 345 and 365 SWEET!

Detard
05-27-2007, 08:16 PM
345 Deadlift
ZNR2EdEUWGc

365 Deadlift
ant6qi9j1Aw

Set a 30lb Deadlift PR today and i'm happy so I wanted to share it with you guys. I really need to get more plates soon hahaha. Please comment on form or anything really. Thanks

Keith
05-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Awesome lift bro! Still loving the gym, I need lighting like that! Good to see you never needed straps for that PR too!

Bako Lifter
05-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Awesome dude, I finally passed you up and then you blew right by me again haha.

Detard
05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Keith - I'm hoping to never need straps. I'm a chalk-aholic hahah.

Bako - Thanks man, race ya to 4pps!!

Bako Lifter
05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
You're on!

... oh wait, I can't :(, Smolov Squat Cycle for the next 9 weeks. You'll probably have it by then, lol.

Keith
05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Keith - I'm hoping to never need straps. I'm a chalk-aholic hahah.

As am I. Ohh the beauty of having your own home gym!

Detard
05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Bako - You cant deadlift or anything for 9 weeks? I dont think I could deal with myself if I was doing that.

Keith - How come fitness depot changed their supplier of oly plates? I went in the other day to get 2 45's and they said they were sold out because the plates are coming on a slow boat from china. What location do you work at? And can you somehow hook me up with 2 45lb OLY plates?

Keith
05-27-2007, 08:57 PM
For the record..
It's still the same supplier. It has always come on a boat from China. We've been sold out of 45's all across Ontario for a long time now and to be honest, I'm not sure when we'll get them in. I can almost guarantee within the month. I work at the Pickering location.

ray34iyf
05-27-2007, 09:11 PM
You've got a pretty wide stance going there Detard..in your experience, how does using a wide stance compare to a more shoulder width stance as far as what it puts more stress on, the ease of the lift, etc, etc...

ray34iyf
05-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh and nice job btw!

Detard
05-27-2007, 09:27 PM
This stance is called sumo (legs wide, hands inside of knees). Some people prefer it over conventional stance (shoulder width, hands outside of knees) over conventional. I personally can pull more with sumo than with conv. and find it alot more comfortable and natural. I switched to sumo in February and have had some great gains with it. I'm sure if Chris Rodgers sees this thread he can give you more of a detailed response.

Thanks man.

Beast
05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Great job! You even look thicker to me.

Detard
05-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks beast :D I appreciate it

KingWilder
05-27-2007, 10:44 PM
wow that looked painful

it looked to me like that was mostly with your back, instead of legs then back (your ass looked too high)

maybe it's just me though...nice lift

Gabrielle
05-28-2007, 03:12 AM
that is pretty badass. Your form is ridiculous in a good way. You may not have super low parallel hip depth, but that is the way you do it right.

getfit
05-28-2007, 03:15 AM
Awesome lift.Well done,on to 385

Con
05-28-2007, 04:44 AM
wow that looked painful

it looked to me like that was mostly with your back, instead of legs then back (your ass looked too high)

You got a vid, of particularly good DL form?
The reason I ask, is because it seemed like detards form was good, and was wondering how a "more ideal form" DL would compare to his.

Anyway, gj detard. Very impressive.

sharkall2003
05-28-2007, 06:05 AM
wow that looked painful

Where do his legs not help drive? He damn near has his legs locking out when the weight is over half way up.

Stumprrp
05-28-2007, 06:49 AM
SUPER job detard! you are strong after the knees, the weight flew as your hips got into the lift, do some elevated DL's and you will have 405.

KingWilder
05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Where do his legs not help drive? He damn near has his legs locking out when the weight is over half way up.

I didn't say I was right...I just said it looked that way to me

RedSpikeyThing
05-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Nice lift!
BTW pulling more in sumo style than conventional (or vice versa) is a sign of a weak spot. My guess is lower back but I'm not sure. Just food for thought :)

Mad Max
05-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Goog lifts.

With sumo stance however, don't feel afraid to take a little time getting your grip sorted and making sure your hips and everything are alligned as good as the can be. As far as I understand you can't really take advantage of the stretch reflex with sumo stance, so take your time.

Chris Rodgers
05-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Nice job! Form looked real good to me. You seem to be the opposite of me, slow off the floor but you have a strong lockout. Do you do any speed pulls? I'd work in some speed work and perhaps some heavy pulls standing on mats or blocks. Those should help bring you up over 4 plates.

fpr
05-29-2007, 09:47 PM
How do you keep the bar from slipping out of your hands? I've been DL'ing for just under a month now and am up to between 280 - 315. I can do 315 except the damn bar keeps slipping out of my hands and taking a nice chunk of skin with it. I've tried using gloves, but the gloves are beginning to rip!

Chris Rodgers
05-29-2007, 10:02 PM
How do you keep the bar from slipping out of your hands? I've been DL'ing for just under a month now and am up to between 280 - 315. I can do 315 except the damn bar keeps slipping out of my hands and taking a nice chunk of skin with it. I've tried using gloves, but the gloves are beginning to rip!

Are you using a mixed grip(one hand over/one hand under)?

And of course, chalk is key.

Do not use gloves on deadlifts...or I will have to come through the computer and smack you. :swear: :thumbup:

fpr
05-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Yes, I am using a mixed grip.

Detard
05-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Hey guys thanks for the tips and comments.

fpr - Make sure your using chalk. The one time I didnt use chalk, I ripped my hand wide open.

Chris - I plan on deadlifting off raised blocks but should I pull conv. off them or set them wide enough so I can pull sumo on them.

Mad Max - I find I can get the weight moving alot faster if I just charge at it and take as little setup time as possible.

McVein
05-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Strong pulling mate.

Chris Rodgers
05-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey guys thanks for the tips and comments.

fpr - Make sure your using chalk. The one time I didnt use chalk, I ripped my hand wide open.

Chris - I plan on deadlifting off raised blocks but should I pull conv. off them or set them wide enough so I can pull sumo on them.

Mad Max - I find I can get the weight moving alot faster if I just charge at it and take as little setup time as possible.

I pretty much do them conventional. I can go as high as about 5" which puts the bar basically right on the top of the foot. If you do them sumo, make sure the blocks have good grip. You don't want your feet to slip out. You could also pull with smaller plates on the bar(like 25's or 35's) which will basically do the same thing.

KoolDrew
05-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Nice job man! I got 365 today as well. I'm a bit larger than you though, so it's not as impressive. :p

Anyway, I got a question. I highly doubt I'd be able to use chalk in my gym because I lift at my high school. Any alternatives to chalk that's not as messy that would be allowed? I think I remember something posted here a while ago, but the name of it escapes me. Any ideas? I've never really had grip problems, but I have really bad calluses on my hands and a couple times today doing the 365 it felt like I was gonna drop it. That's with a mixed grip as well.