PDA

View Full Version : Why DE Bench is important

vdizenzo
05-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Since I injured my wrists about 3 weeks ago I have not been doing speed bench. Now on ME bench I don't always get on a flat bench so that DE day really helps keep my form up. Well the last couple of weeks I cannot figure my grip out to save my life. Think about it, such a simple thing, but it has really f'd up my training a bit. However, today I went back to speed and that gave me an extre 9 sets to work on my grip. Guess what, I figured it out albeit on the last set. So DE is not only important for your speed, but it really helps you get an extra day a week working on your form and technique.

1mmort4l
05-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Do you use your normal width grip on your DE day? I was under the impression that i should use narrower grips for DE day..
Or have i misinterpreted what you are saying?
Cheers mate..

Hazerboy
05-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Most people switch up their grips for DE day, but like the poster said - its a good way to find your form with all the extra reps.

Clifford Gillmore
05-29-2007, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I see some of the big guys doing high rep sets on one day and raw strength, then on the other day they do shirt work/topend work. They get quite a few benches in a week!

vdizenzo
05-29-2007, 05:28 AM
My grip only varies three fingers width on speed bench. First three sets on middle finger, next three on ring finger, and the last three on my index finger (comp grip).

RedSpikeyThing
05-29-2007, 07:26 AM
My grip only varies three fingers width on speed bench. First three sets on middle finger, next three on ring finger, and the last three on my index finger (comp grip).

Do you find changin up your grip on DE makes a big difference? I'm not comfortable with my form yet, so I'm doing 8x3 of competition grip to try and get in the groove.

vdizenzo
05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Do you find changin up your grip on DE makes a big difference? I'm not comfortable with my form yet, so I'm doing 8x3 of competition grip to try and get in the groove.

No. I just think that going right to comp grip could be a little stressful on the pecs. Those two inches or so on each side make a big difference for me until I am warm.

Big o Boy
05-29-2007, 12:20 PM
for my DE work I almost always use close grip presses when doing flat bench. This not only works the triceps harder, but increases the ROM and works the bottom of the press also. I've made good gains with close-grip presses combined with bands for speed days, but I also injured my pec/shoulder being too ballistic with the sets. Good form is always requisite when training light or heavy.

I have recently changed to an RE style of training, concentrating on form and moving heavier weight at different angles (or assistance type exercises). Hopefully I will still be seeing gains and shy away from injury for a second time. I believe my speed is still good, despite not training it every week.

I'm not sure why I decided to rant on about this, or even what the question is/isn't of this particular thread. ...but there you have it. :)