PDA

View Full Version : Pre/Post Workout Shake Check..

ray34iyf
05-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Hey guys. I'm trying to perfect my diet right now and am wondering if these two shakes cut it:

Pre-Workout Shake
1.5 cup skim
1 cup oats
1 scoop nitrean

Post-Workout Shake
1.5 cup skim
.5 cup oats
1 scoop nitrean

I've read stuff about wanting to keep oats out of the post W/O shake and put stuff with high sugar content in it...with that said..what exactly should I do to tweek these for optimal partitioning..and what's in your shakes?

Mr. D
05-28-2007, 02:09 PM
From Get Built, Volume 2 http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=274

Strength athletes/weight lifters interested in increasing muscle mass

• Sip 0.8g/kg carbohydrate and 0.4g/kg protein (such as At Large’s Nitrean) dissolved in 1L of water during exercise.

• Immediately after exercise ingest another identical beverage.

• Eat a solid food meal 1 hour later.

Strength athletes/weight lifters interested in preserving muscle mass while dieting

• Sip 0.4g/kg carbohydrate and 0.2g/kg protein dissolved in 0.5L of water during exercise.

• Eat a solid food meal 1 hour after exercise.

Now my personal preference: When I am bulking I have 1g of dextrose per kg LBM and 1/3rd of that in protein. So currently have 72kg of lbm, my PWO shake is 72g dex,24g protein.

Before I workout, i take about 25-30g carb, usually fruit, and 15g protein.

I also like to sip on 44g dex, 11g protein during the WO for sustained energy and the long workouts that I prefer.

Mr. D
05-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I am going to start adding milk again to my PWO shake to get casein protein in there with my whey, but if you take nitrean then you are covered.

ray34iyf
05-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Wow, thanks. That info about the amounts of carbs, protein helps alot.
So..which would you recommend? Dextrose or maltodextrin? or does it even matter?

Mr. D
05-28-2007, 03:07 PM
They are processed the same way in the body. Dextrose is SWEET, malto is tasteless.

I think some people use both, i just use Dextrose, cuz I am cheap and I dont want 2 different types of carbs.

ray34iyf
05-28-2007, 03:25 PM
And what about pre workout shakes? What should they consist of? Is the milk, oats, nitrean mix ok?

Mr. D
05-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I think ive read a 2:1 ratio (carbs : protein) pre-wo is what you should strive for.

Howard 9
05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
This is what I follow, well try to, but usually don't cause I am terrible at dieting

60-90 minutes preworkout, have a solid, balanced meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
Adding fat at this point is fine, use your discretion as long as it fits into your macro goals. Note that this meal is skipped if you train 1st thing in the morning.

30-0 minutes preworkout - (and/or sipped throughout the workout), have a liquid or easily digested meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
Fat should be minimized here. Guidelines aren't hard & fast, but I personally wouldn't exceed 20% of the cals of this meal, in other words, keep the fats here incidental, not added.

Sooner the better postworkout - within 30 minutes, but optimally ASAP, have either a liquid or solid meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.5g/lb TBW
Fats here should be kept minimal to moderate.
I personally start on this shake 60 minutes into my weight workouts, which take 80-90 minutes.

Post-postworkout is simply your next sheduled meal, whether it's 1, 2, or 3 hrs later simply doesn't matter - especially if your immediate postworkout meal (which may be split up into 2 halves) was designed as above.

TBW=Target Body Weight

EWI
05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that whey protein shakes are great immediately after your workout because the aminos enter the bloodstream rather quickly and therefore can go to work repair the muscle damage. However, they also tend to "give up" after about 2 hours... so somewhere in that time frame (probably just after the first hour) you are going to want to eat a full well balanced meal that has a high amount of long term protein to continue repairing and building muscle. Complete repair can take as much as a week or more so really... you pretty much need to always keep a ready supply of high quality protein in the system and I am not talking about supplemental whey but instead real food protein from a variety of lean sources....

Mr. D
05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that whey protein shakes are great immediately after your workout because the aminos enter the bloodstream rather quickly and therefore can go to work repair the muscle damage. However, they also tend to "give up" after about 2 hours... so somewhere in that time frame (probably just after the first hour) you are going to want to eat a full well balanced meal that has a high amount of long term protein to continue repairing and building muscle. Complete repair can take as much as a week or more so really... you pretty much need to always keep a ready supply of high quality protein in the system and I am not talking about supplemental whey but instead real food protein from a variety of lean sources....

Nitrean is a blend so it has both fast acting and slow acting proteins. A solid meal eaten 1 hour after was recommended.

Vapour Trails
05-29-2007, 03:26 PM
These oats that everyone has a hard-on for, are they uncooked? Man, if they are they must absorb a ton of water as they work their way through.

Mr. D
05-29-2007, 03:46 PM
These oats that everyone has a hard-on for, are they uncooked? Man, if they are they must absorb a ton of water as they work their way through.

I think most are grinding them down to a fine powder. At least I hope so.

getfit
05-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I think most are grinding them down to a fine powder. At least I hope so.

yep,i believe that's how most people do it,I do anyways or cook them

Howard 9
05-29-2007, 04:55 PM

lol yah i tried to just blend them once in a shake. Not my best idea.

ray34iyf
06-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Another question....would one banana be sufficient to help transport the 5g of creatine that I'm going to be taking in my PWO shake?

Mr. D
06-01-2007, 09:45 PM
You can check the supplement forum and do some searches, but I think its pretty much been established you dont need a "carrier" for creatine.

Also dextrose/glucose would be a better choice than fructose (banana) as a PWO carb.

ray34iyf
06-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Alright, looks like I've got a "Health Hut" supp store near here that I can buy some cheap dextrose at..then I'll swing by GNC and get some creatine mono..Thanks for the help.

Mr. D
06-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Here is another thing to keep in mind.

Since you are looking to lean out to 155, I wouldnt use precious cals on dextrose or liquid meals.

To get to 155, Im sure you are eating around 2000 cals. Those cals are just tooo precious to use on dextrose (which will make you hungrier). Take the creatine with water or your whey shake PWO, and have a solid meal after that.

Thats my humble opinion.

And you can find a lot better deals online for creatine monohydrate than at GNC.

ray34iyf
06-02-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm sure that the creatine would work fine by itself right? I mean using some dextrose to help "deliver" it isn't going to make all the difference in the world.

And as for gnc, they've got a pretty good deal going for creatine monohydrate..
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133642&cp&sr=1&origkw=creatine+monohydrate&kw=creatine+monohydrate&parentPage=search
1000 grams for $20.