PDA

View Full Version : Milk

hottytoddychick
05-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I have a question about "expired" milk. My milk expired on the 27, today is the 30th?, and I only opened it last night. It smelled fine, tasted fine. Since it's only been recently opened, and money is incredibly tight right now, do you think it would be fine for a couple of days?

Thanks!

Mr. D
05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
I think since its been sealed itll be ok, but it might go bad faster than a "regular" milk.

Have you considered making yogurt out of it?

TheGimp
05-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Expiry (and best before/sell by) dates are made to be broken. In my experience they are almost always conservative. Give it a sniff, check for visible mould (and probably just remove it and eat the remainder), have a taste and go for it.

ArchAngel777
05-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Generally the date you see is the sell by date... That means, legally, the store cannot sell it after that date. It does not mean that the food goes bad and only in rare circumstances will it. The "Best if used by" date found on items is a suggestion, not a mandate.

I like what Gimp said... Just check it out, if it is fine, drink it.

hottytoddychick
05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I figured since it's been sealed it would be good also. And just for curiousity's sake, how would I make yogurt?

Thanks!!!

Mr. D
05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
To make yogurt you need yogurt.

1)Take a tbsp or 2 of plain,fat free yogurt and drain it for a few hours.
2)Heat milk, about 48oz, to a boil
3)Let milk cool down for a few hours
4)Heat milk again for a few minutes, not to boil
5)Dump milk into container and mix in drained yogurt. Wisk in to get consistent.
6)Turn oven on very low heat, like 200deg and place yogurt in there. Should be ready in about 6 hours. The longer you keep it in, the more sour it will be.

I make my own yogurt with skim milk and fat free yogurt. Its 100x cheaper that way.

schmitty199
05-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Expiry (and best before/sell by) dates are made to be broken. In my experience they are almost always conservative. Give it a sniff, check for visible mould (and probably just remove it and eat the remainder), have a taste and go for it.

Yep, they make them conservative to help protect themselves from lawsuits on people getting sick from expired products. If they make the expiration date 2-3 days later then it really should be their alot safer in that area.

Howard 9
05-30-2007, 05:49 PM
You're fine, and you'll know if it went bad anyways.

hottytoddychick
05-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I just can't believe you can make yogurt like that! The thought of cooked and soured milk just grosses me out! Is it good, though? And can you put fruit in it or anything like that? I have a gallon and a half of milk that I really would like to not waste...